Kellen Moore Hired As QB Coach

the lone star

7 hours ago, the lone star said:

What do you all think of this move?

Personally, I kinda like it. Get a young guy on the staff who can throw out some fresh ideas.

Fresh ideas? He is smart and all but let's be real. He got this job because he knows Linehans offense and Linehan wanted him.

Moore's best attribute is processing information. As I mentioned in another thread, I like the move for Moore to QB Coach, but I am concern with the inexperience of Moore and a young QB in Dak. Had it been Romo as our QB, I would be a lot more comfortable.

Plus, finally, this year we won't have to worry about Moore taking up a spot on the 53.

I think his job is simply going to be implementing Linehans system. Obviously Moore has a good grasp on what Scotty wants, but was never talented enough to do it himself. He still looked better than Weeden and Cassel when running the offense, though he is less physically gifted than both. I don't think he will be working with Dak on fundamentals, or trying to "mold," Dak into anything. He will simply be helping Dak understand what Linehan wants. And probably clapping a lot.

I’ll say this again. I’m definitely not behind this move. I feel like this is a lazy move by the team. Daks first few years in the league are fragile. He needs consistency in an offensive coordinator because as we know having multiple playbooks and schemes can ruin a QB. However to have a guy with zero experience as a coach take one of the most fragile and important position on the team under his wing is set up to fail. He may know the offense which is great but Dak needs to learn things he can’t see in film and on the field and since he’s so raw needs fine tuning as well and to have the guy who was your teammate to do all that isn’t a good idea. If Dak was older and needed fresh eyes then I would support the move a little but not as of right now after Dak regressed from his rookie year.

How do we know Linehans system even works? I mean he put up huge numbers with Matt Stafford and Megatron but did that necessarily win games? Plus Stafford has a super arm and Megatron is a robot. That's like giving Linehan credit for Zeke doing well behind 100 all pro linemen. He had a shot at HC. Rams 2006 -2008. He literally got worse every year. 8-8, 3-13, 2-14. Fired before the season ended.

And I know what you're going to say. "But, Daboys what about 2014 and 2016?" 

Yes Jerry, the two years that Linehan was forced out of his system we looked great. Let me take you back. In 2014, Romo was just coming back from this headline:

Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery

By Mike Fisher | 105.3 The Fan, CBSDFW.comBy Mike FisherJanuary 2, 2014 at 8:15 am

Still, Scott Linehan trudged on with his scheme and it was only Week 1 against the 49ers before it was clear that Romo's back wasn't ready. He was terrible and we lost. The next week against the then lowly Titans was more of the same. Romo was off. We started running the ball a lot more. More than we ever have before. Romo's back would eventually flare up against the Redskins and he would have to miss the next game against Arizona. Romo finished with career low in attempts per game. Murray broke records for attempts. We had to protect Romo, and we were winning games.

In 2016, Romo got hurt. Moore got hurt, and I'm sure Linehan cried thug tears when he realized he would have to abandon everything, completely dumb down the offense, and protect his 4th round rookie from a spread read option college. If you look at 2014 Romo stats vs. 2016 Dak stats they are near identical. While Elliott led the league in attempts.  

In 2017 I think we saw more Linehan than 2014 or 2016. Even more so that Zeke got suspended. Linehan has worked on the passing game his whole life. 2017 was his year to carry us with his passing expertise. 

Archived