Recap of the Cleveland Browns 0-16 parade.

TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

are they more mad at Hue or the players? I didn't watch he entire clip, but I never saw any "Fire Hue" signs either

Definitely Hue and ownership. I think most fans are actually excited about a lot of the talent on this team. They're just very young and inexperienced. The main reason we went 0-16 is due to poor coaching and awful QB play, and the rest of the team just wasn't quite good enough to overcome those two things.

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Eh. I don't think this protest will change that aspect. Players don't care about fans. Just money and situation. Cleveland was already a grim looking situation 0-16 season/fan protest or not.

If anything, I think it will hurt a player's value when they sign with Cleveland as a free agent and then leave to go somewhere else. If you sign with Cleveland you are stating for a fact you do not care about winning games as a player, and I would never want those players on the Steelers.

1 minute ago, TXsteeler said:

If anything, I think it will hurt a player's value when they sign with Cleveland as a free agent and then leave to go somewhere else. If you sign with Cleveland you are stating for a fact you do not care about winning games as a player, and I would never want those players on the Steelers.

I'll take a wild guess and say that's half the league. Money talks. You have to get what you can where you can. Winning is just a bonus. An NFL career is such a limited shelf life, you have to pounce on your financial opportunity when it comes knocking. 

Also, you have to look at it from a Browns fan's perspective. If the Steelers were as bad as Cleveland has been for so long, you'd probably take any talent you can get for your team if there is a chance of a chance that the ship can turn around. Winning not being the highest priority for making a career move doesn't mean a player won't try to win. That's their job/meal ticket for what they care about most...which is more money.

This just seems way too bizarre for me...

If one of my teams (different sports) went on a tanking season, I would be absolutely livid and would rally, to protest.

There's moving and forward and trying to at least have a positive outlook on a bad situation, and there's this.

8 hours ago, lancerman said:

Okay you can't give that to every player.

Okay... how about a job?

Listen, Cleveland is not on any NFL players"top 30 places I want to play football" list. But that aint because of the fans. It's because of everything BUT the fans. 

And this was very tame. I would say the fans handled the whole thing with a gallows sense of humor and a shrug of the shoulders. Theyre still there. In the bitter cold. Wearing their jerseys. Saying, "This is us. You suck. We root for a team that sucks."

If the players are snowflakes that cant handle upset fans, they need to find a new profession. Fans critical of the organization they root for in the best of times. In the worst, they're brutal. Part of the job is to suck it up and keep doing your best.

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Players don't care about fans. 

I don’t know. I doubt Joe Thomas spends his career in Cleveland if the fans berated him or hated his guts. 

Not that these few thousand people represent the Browns fan base. And for the vast majority of guys, yeah, they won’t lose too much sleep over some fans being unhappy - what do you expect after going 0-16? 

But I don’t know if I’d blanket it like that. When push comes to shove, players will watch out for their own best interests, but I wouldn’t say they don’t care.

11 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don't know. I doubt Joe Thomas spends his career in Cleveland if the fans berated him or hated his guts. 

Not that these few thousand people represent the Browns fan base. And for the vast majority of guys, yeah, they won't lose too much sleep over some fans being unhappy - what do you expect after going 0-16? 

But I don't know if I'd blanket it like that. When push comes to shove, players will watch out for their own best interests, but I wouldn't say they don't care.

Fans don't hate Joe because he's a good player. A player that is well compensated and was never allowed to hit the free market. 

Players that have gone 0-16, they're probably still going to leave the area once the season is over, kick it in LA or Miami, and blow loads of cash on materialistic goods and instant gratification. Happy fans are a nice feather in the cap. If fans aren't happy, who gives a crap. You're rich. These same fans that pat you on the back when you do well, or give you garbage when you suck aren't going to be there for you post-career helping you pay your medical bills. These are the same people that want to take a photo with you when they see you in the mall and get ticked when you decline their request, because then they can't go on social media and brag about how awesome they are to their friends. 

Yeah, fudge fans. I wouldn't care at all about them win or lose if I was a player/rant. 

55 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

Okay... how about a job?

Listen, Cleveland is not on any NFL players"top 30 places I want to play football" list. But that aint because of the fans. It's because of everything BUT the fans. 

And this was very tame. I would say the fans handled the whole thing with a gallows sense of humor and a shrug of the shoulders. Theyre still there. In the bitter cold. Wearing their jerseys. Saying, "This is us. You suck. We root for a team that sucks."

@Non-Issue- And that is a very good point. The Cleveland fans are still loyal to their historically-bad team, no matter what; continue to support the Browns; show up at the games in terrible weather; and are even able to find humor in a tough situation.

That is the way, frequently, of football fans in these rugged industrial cities- Cleveland and Pittsburgh and Buffalo. They don't have the cultural offerings and alternative entertainments of New York and L.A., Miami and Dallas. Their sports teams are everything to a lot of fans in these cities.  I lived in Buffalo for 3 years at one time; on Sundays, if you went into K-Mart, there would be a crowd of shoppers around the wall of live televisions, watching the Bills game. You here the cheers and groans across the store, reflective of the Bills fortunes in a given game. And so it is, apparently, with Cleveland. And it's a shame that such dedicated fans don't get more in return. In NFL history, The Cleveland Browns used to mean something (and I know the original Browns are the Baltimore Ravens). It would be moral justice if they, and their city, could get back to that. And a pretty nice story for football fans everywhere.

Image result for Jim Brown football

59 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Fans don't hate Joe because he's a good player. A player that is well compensated and was never allowed to hit the free market. 

It’s a hypothetical. If they did hate him, I imagine his lovey dovey feelings towards Cleveland (and the fanbase) would’ve been quite different - and AFAIK, that’s what kept him in Cleveland. 

Players that have gone 0-16, they're probably still going to leave the area once the season is over, kick it in LA or Miami, and blow loads of cash on materialistic goods and instant gratification. Happy fans are a nice feather in the cap. If fans aren't happy, who gives a crap. You're rich. These same fans that pat you on the back when you do well, or give you garbage when you suck aren't going to be there for you post-career helping you pay your medical bills. These are the same people that want to take a photo with you when they see you in the mall and get ticked when you decline their request, because then they can't go on social media and brag about how awesome they are to their friends. 

Lots of generalizations there. 

Yeah, fudge fans. I wouldn't care at all about them win or lose if I was a player/rant. 

That’s you, and that’s fine.

I don’t think every player feels that way.

Btw lets be human shall we?  With cash donated and other parish able food items donated the Greater Cleveland Food Bank has 70,000 meals to give to those deserving because of this parade. With the winter we’re having so far it’s a big win to me. Big FU to Haslam. Haslam has billions and can go 0-16. We can go 0-16 and feed people. Yeah FU Haslam FU. 

49 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Btw lets be human shall we?  With cash donated and other parish able food items donated the Greater Cleveland Food Bank has 70,000 meals to give to those deserving because of this parade. With the winter we’re having so far it’s a big win to me. Big FU to Haslam. Haslam has billions and can go 0-16. We can go 0-16 and feed people. Yeah FU Haslam FU. 

You could still do the charity without the parade.... seems weird to justify the existence of the parade with the charity.

Archived