Pick 2: The 'Got-to-Have-'em' Draft Prospects

Mind Character

****EXCLUDING***** QBs, Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, or Minkah Fitzpatrick

Pick 2 players in the upcoming draft that you've "got to have," that the Browns someway somehow have to get. These are players that you know will be special, have major impact, that you love to watch their play, and/or are not talked about enough.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Picks:

1. Carlton Davis CB Auburn: Less athletically gifted Marshon Lattimore. Best CB in the draft by far. I'm convinced he's a top-10 talent. Mirror ability and the winning with length and poise is at an elite level. Somehow some way we've got to get him.

2. Rashaad Penny RB SDSU: Best pure runner (vision, balance, setting up blocks, power, burst, etc) in the draft even above Saquon Barkley, but not close to Barkley in versatility, pass catching ability, and overall raw  athleticism. Not close to the exceptionally giftedness of Saquon, but Rashaad has the ability to lead the league in rushing his rookie year. We've got to get him.

Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State

- Echo much of what is written above in the original post. Fantastic build for the position, powerful runner with great balance and a good eye for the correct hole to run through or cut to be made. People say he's a stiff, upright runner and I possibly see that a bit, but I also unexpected lateral movement for a back his size and some breakaway speed. Many want to relegate him to a one-cut back, but I think I see something resembling a blend of David Johnson and Jamal Lewis in a best case scenario. That he is a fellow Aztec alum is the icing on the cake and I would love for us to draft him if we don't take Barkley.

Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis

- This one is gaining common traction and the Antonio Brown comparison is getting a perception as a lazy one. I am about to make that comparison. But I want to be very clear, that's a comparison based on playstyle, not talent. Watch him off the snap and out of his breaks; snappy, stomping feet and clearly a player that has full control of his body and knows what he wants to do with it. I believe that's an underrated quality and one that makes Brown so good. He's not ultra athletic, but there is a suddenness to his movement, as well as an innate ability to adjust to a ball or nuance his route two or three times in the moment. The defender simply will struggle to consistently react to smart, controlled movement like that and I believe Miller as a result will always have a knack at finding himself open. He also plays bigger than his size. I believe he will be a riser in the draft and rightfully so. Do not be fooled by his athletic numbers or so-so measurables; he will be a good one.

Quentin Nelson and Mike McGlinchey. Or Orlando Brown. 

We must be able to survive and prosper in an era of increasingly capable and devastating defensive ends and tackles, especially after Joe Thomas leaves. That also is true if we hope to run effectively. 

6 minutes ago, HH650 said:

Quentin Nelson and Mike McGlinchey. Or Orlando Brown. 

We must be able to survive and prosper in an era of increasingly capable and devastating defensive ends and tackles, especially after Joe Thomas leaves. That also is true if we hope to run effectively. 

We have two quality starters at guard, both with 50 million + newly signed deals and you want to draft another one in the first round?

If we could get, aside from a QB, Barkley, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick:

*Guice, RB LSU (I'd love a tradeback into the late first to get him if we don't get Barkley)

*Calvin Ridley, WR Alabama (If we were to trade back from 4, add another 1st next year, and still get him, I'd like that)

*James Washington, WR OK State (2nd-4th round)

*Denzel Ward, CB OSU (Trade back from 4 and still land the #1 overall CB would be nice as well)

Here's what I would love:

1. Darnold

4: Trade with Buffalo for picks 21, 24, and a 2019 2nd and 2019 3rd

21: Ridley

24: Guice

OR

4: Trade with NYJ for #6, a 2018 4th and a 2019 2nd

6: Denzel Ward

I'd love either of those 2 scenarios

If we do not get 1 of the 3 at #4 or we trade back:

Cortland Sutton WR SMU - I got to watch a game or 2 this year and from what I saw, Sutton looked like a pro playing in college. He has speed and size. It looked like he was gliding at times. He caught a td and it almost seemed too easy for him. Best WR in the draft if you want my opinion.

Orlando Brown OT OU - I really like him. He looks the part of a stout tackle that could replace big Joe. Start him off at right tackle and have JT pass on his wisdom. 

For the later rounds...

Troy Fumagalli TE WIS - I don't care what you haters say. Troy is going to be a solid catching TE in the pros. He is talent that constantly gets those first downs and helps continue drives. He is the type of player with sure hands that you want on your team. 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

Excluding the guys you listed, and looking at it more as who I want versus who I think we have a realistic shot at:

Orlando Brown - Attitude, technique, athleticism. I'm looking forward to his combine, but if he does what I think he will, I think he's a Joe Thomas level prospect (doesn't mean he'll have a Joe Thomas career, just that he'll be a clear top 5 pick).

Anthony Miller - I just see a poor man's Antonio Brown, and I didn't watch Brown in college, I'm talking Brown now. The guy isn't prototypical size, but he manages to make last second separation consistently, has phenomenal hands, and can operate all over the field.

5 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Excluding the guys you listed, and looking at it more as who I want versus who I think we have a realistic shot at:

Orlando Brown - Attitude, technique, athleticism. I'm looking forward to his combine, but if he does what I think he will, I think he's a Joe Thomas level prospect (doesn't mean he'll have a Joe Thomas career, just that he'll be a clear top 5 pick).

Anthony Miller - I just see a poor man's Antonio Brown, and I didn't watch Brown in college, I'm talking Brown now. The guy isn't prototypical size, but he manages to make last second separation consistently, has phenomenal hands, and can operate all over the field.

These would be my two 

if I were to go with another two it’d be

Sony Michel-one of my favorite players. Reminds me of Clinton Portis. Id really Love to see him go to a ZBS he’d kill it in San Fran, but I’d like him here as well. 

Arden Key- I honestly think he’s the Josh Gordon of defensive in this draft. Dude is not Mingo he’s pure talent man. If Key gets his head on straight and can be motivated to fill his potential he’s a top 3 player in this class and a better pass rusher than Chubb. 

If he’s there at 33 I’d take the risk 

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just really getting into watching guys, but right now I like Vita Vea a lot.

Could be redundant with Shelton, but I like Vea’s potential more and teams have shown how having two run stuffers can be very effective.

He's a certified freak... definitely one of my favorites, but he's a lot like Minkah Fitzpatrick in that we already have a player that makes his skill set redundant (you're right Shelton in Vita's cae; Jabrill in Minkah's case)

17 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

He's a certified freak... definitely one of my favorites, but he's a lot like Minkah Fitzpatrick in that we already have a player that makes his skill set redundant (you're right Shelton in Vita's cae; Jabrill in Minkah's case)

I think the positional value difference could make him worth it.

The idea of passing on a Haloti Ngata type DT would kill me.  I’d love to see him pushing the pocket with Ogbah and Garrett on the outsides.

He and Shelton in running situations would be fun to watch too.

I’m just not sure he’s a Poe/Ngata type freak yet, excited to see how he tests.

10 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Problem with drafting Vita is we have so many good DLs right now. We are really strong there right now. I would look for a CB over DL/NT. Carlton Davis... Just saying

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I think Vita's size separates him from our DL.  He's tall and long compared to our DL who are mostly short and stout.  He is 6'5" 330ish lbs, where the rest of our DTs are 6'2 or shorter.  I think he could add a different dynamic to our front four.  Depending on speed and more so quickness he could move along the DL on run downs.   

Archived