*Mock Offseason*

KimuraGod

So I’m thinking of doing two mock offseasons. One which has us signing Kirk Cousins in FA and the added benefits that come with that. The other will be finding our future franchise qb in the draft. I think the easier rebuild in the short term is obviously signing Cousins so I will start with that one.

Opening Cap Space: $79m

Cuts:

Mo Wilkerson- Really disappointed with the way his career here has ended. Thought he would of become an all time great Jet at one point. No doubt he’s gone and will probably kill it for a new team I imagine. $17m saved. 

Buster Skrine- Just a penalty machine. I like his attitude and all but really anything over veteran minimum would be too much. We save $6m

Matt Forte- Can see him retiring after a very poor year health wise and production wise. We save another $3m

Ben Ijalana- I can see us upgrading the o-line both in the draft and free agency so an easy cut. Save $4.75m

Devin Smith- Injury bust unfortunately. Save $1.24m

Updated cap: $110.99m

Resignings:

Mo Claiborne: 3yrs $18m. Mo has been solid this year but with an abysmal injury record and rated #98 CB on PFF I can’t imagine many teams willing to pay him big bucks. 

ASJ: 3yrs $11m. I think he is really overrated on this forum by a few if I’m honest. He’s solid and a nice player to keep hold of but again with some serious baggage and concerns he’s not suddenly going to command in excess of $5m a year. Especially not after 350 receiving yards this year. 

Demario Davis: 3yrs $15m. A real nice bright spot this year. He showed toughness and leadership. But I still don’t think he’s anything amazingly special and wouldn’t pay more than $5-6m a year. 

Quincy Enunwa: 1st round tender $4m. Need to bring Q back as I really think he can be a good/great player for us. Not a #1 receiver but in the slot using his huge frame and athleticism would give us a major chess piece on offense. 

Kony Ealy: 3yrs $10m. Time for Kony to step up and be a full time starter for us. Used as a bit part player this year I think the jury is still out if he can be a starter in the NFL but opposite Big Cat I think he can be a solid player for us. 

Updated cap: $89.99m

Free Agency:

To start free agency we identify QB, Centre and CB as our three most coveted positions to fill. 

We begin the free agency period by signing Kirk Cousins to a huge deal and firmly place the keys to the franchise in his hands. We frontload his deal in the first two years. 

Soon after we confirm the double signings of Ryan Jensen and Kyle Fuller. Both young excellent players who come on big money deals and centre pieces for our team. 

We try to snag Andrew Norwell but miss out on him but feel comfortable that with Jensen coming in at centre it should allow better play from Carpenter and Winters. 

We also fail on bringing in a de facto #1 wide receiver as both Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry decide against joining us. Something we will revisit later on in the offseason. 

We do in fact take a low risk high reward option in the passing game and bring in Tyler Eifert to be our starting Tight End. After having his third back surgery he is very much going to look for a one year prove it deal. He sees Cousins as our starting QB and likes the option in signing with us. 

To round out the roster and provide depth we bring in Nickell Robey-Coleman and LeGarrette Blount. NRC will be our slot cornerback. I really liked him in Buffalo and he’s done well for the Rams this year. Blount is a big man and can be a nice compliment to Powell and McGuire. Added insurance if we don’t address RB in the draft. 

Kirk Cousins QB 6yrs $165m. Cap $31m

Ryan Jensen OC 5 yrs $50m. Cap $10m

Kyle Fuller CB $4yrs $40m. Cap $10m

Tyler Eifert TE 1yr $8m. Cap $8m

Nickell Robey-Coleman CB 4yrs$12m Cap$3m

LeGarrette Blount RB 2yrs $3m. Cap $1.25m

Updated cap: $26.74m

Trades:

After striking out on bringing a number one receiver in FA we bring in Dez Bryant in exchange for a 5th round pick. Dallas wants him to take a pay cut for which his reply was ‘hell no’. He’s not happy there and Dallas has always been very tight to the cap limit in recent years. They can’t cut him this year as his contract is majorly protected but look to move his salary off the books. Cap $16.5m

Dez Bryant WR- 5th round draft pick. 

Updated cap: $10.24m

Draft:

Going into the draft with QB taken care of our big board at pick 6 is:

Saquon Barkley

Bradley Chubb

Orlando Brown

Quenton Nelson

Bills trade for #4 pick.

1. Browns- Sam Darnold. The Browns take Darnold as he has a bigger upside than most QBs and Rosen doesn’t want to play for the Browns. 
  2. Giants- Josh Rosen. Gets to sit and learn under Eli. 
  3. Colts- Saquon Barkley. They need to help Luck. Either Barkley or Brown here.
  4. Bills- Baker Mayfield. They need a franchise qb and have the ammo to trade up before the Broncos. 
  5. Broncos- Josh Allen. After three QBs go the Broncos know they need to act now. 

We find ourselves in a great spot as we have three players on our big board left. We strike a deal with the 49ers who leapfrog the Bears to select their number one wide receiver. We receive a 2nd rounder next year and a 5th this year.

1. 49ers- Calvin Ridley. The 49ers get Jimmy G a #1 receiver.
  2. Bucs- Minkah Fitzpatrick. They need help on that defense and land one of the best players in the draft. 
  3. Bears- Courtland Sutton. The Bears have no real playmakers to partner with Mitch and see Sutton as a big time target for their young QB. 
  4. Jets- Bradley Chubb. We continue our trend of going defense in the first round but this pick makes too much sense. He will be a difference maker and gives us the pass rusher we craved for years. 

As the first round comes to a close at pick 30 the Eagles are looking to trade down. We have been making calls to move up and select a LT and earmark one of the tackles to drop on draft day. Our number one target is Mike McGlinchey and strike a deal sending our 2nd and 4th rounders to Philly. 

1. Jets- Mike McGlinchey. We get our left tackle to protect our franchise qb. He will battle Beachum in TC. 

1. Jets- Derrius Guice. We spend a high pick on a really good running back who will battle to start. Good competition with Powell, McGuire and Blount.     

1. Jets- Braden Smith. This huge offensive guard from Auburn has a 2-3rd round grade. Will hopefully be Carpenters replacement after this year. 

1. Jets- J.C Jackson. We look to bring in the highly talented cornerback who brings some red flags off the field. In the 5th we feel it’s a risk worth taking. 

1. Jets- Matt Elam. We select the 6’7 360lbs nose tackle. He will clearly need to shift some pounds to compete in the NFL but he has the size and ability to take up huge holes on the d-line.

1. Jets- Chad Whitener. We go defense again and get some inside linebacker depth. 

Depth Chart:

Offense:

Qb- Cousins, Hackenberg, Petty

Rb- Powell, Guice, McGuire, Blount

Fb- Thomas

Wr- Bryant, Anderson, Enunwa, Kearse, Stewart, Hansen, Peake

Te- Eifert, ASJ, Leggett

Lt- Beachum, McGlinchey

Lg- Carpenter, Smith

C- Jensen, Harrison

Rg- Winters, Dozier

Rt- Shell, Qvale

Defense:

De- Williams, Pennell 

Nt- McLendon, Elam

De- Ealy, Cooper

Olb- Chubb, Mauldin, Bishop

Ilb- Lee, Davis, Stanford, Whitener

Olb- Jenkins, Donahue, Martin

Cb- Fuller, Claiborne, Roby-Coleman, Burris, Jackson, Robinson, Clarke, Jones, Roberts

Fs- Maye, Middleton

Ss- Adams, Miles

K- Catanzaro

P- Edwards

So I’ll start by saying this... I love the ending roster you have for us. Problem is though hownrelatisuc some do it is. The best pass rusher in the draft falling to 9 I find doubtful (I don’t think he’ll be available at 6 for us). To add to that than have the best OT not going to 30? Far fetched as well. I also don’t understand the point of bringing in Blount, especially if you have us drafting Guice. I like Guice a lot, but then there’s no sense of wasting cap space on Blount. Besides a few unrestricted things, I like the direction of the offseason.

It is a fine mock but I don't think Maccagnan would do that way.  If Jets actually drafted OT in 1st then I would expect him to start at RT. Beachum remains a starting LT.  You need to remember that Maccagnan is a team builder not an aggressive team upgrader. That means Jets should not draft a prospect in 1st to overload a certain position.   If Jets are good with Beachum and Shell then we don't expect them to draft OT in 1st. 

Yes, I know he drafted Williams but they had used to Richardson playing outside.

I like Blount and Bryant additions. Those could fix two problems.  Number one option and short yardage power.  Sure, Guice can do it but Jets are a pass first team so they will bring Guice into a full mode slowly.

I can see Smith beat out Winters in TC, which is a good pick.

Matt Elam should be UDFA so maybe qb to continue insulting Hackenberg's potential. lol.

Lots of thought out into this, love that you incorporated contract numbers too. I love Dez but I'm not overly fond of paying an outside receiver that much money when we kinda have a log jam at the position. I don't think the Bears go WR in round 1 again, they have done so a lot recently. I also think Chubb goes much higher than that. If he is there when we are picking at #6 we'd be silly not to take him.

I don't think McGlinchey lasts that long but I do love the idea of trading up for an LT if one is falling

Like it, but your numbers are off on some.  Demario will likely get 7-8 per year, Nickell will get paid this off-season as well.  The guy graded out as a top corner this year.  Also, just don't see your 1st three picks still on the board where you picked them, but you never know. 

I can't complain about the ending roster. My only concern is Dez in this culture-building situation and I believe petty will be cut. Might even draft another QB and have him battle Hack. I think Peake and Burris will be cut. Peake will probably be replaced for a KR/PR threat. If this turned out to be the roster, I'm fine. This is a playoff team on paper and you filled in the gaps. Nice work.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

So I’ll start by saying this... I love the ending roster you have for us. Problem is though hownrelatisuc some do it is. The best pass rusher in the draft falling to 9 I find doubtful (I don’t think he’ll be available at 6 for us). To add to that than have the best OT not going to 30? Far fetched as well. I also don’t understand the point of bringing in Blount, especially if you have us drafting Guice. I like Guice a lot, but then there’s no sense of wasting cap space on Blount. Besides a few unrestricted things, I like the direction of the offseason.

I thought about it and just put myself in the situation of each GM at their time of pick. Chubb may be a stretch but he certainly will be there or there about a at our pick. 

As for McGlinchy I’m using CBS rankings and also Walter football. They had him as the 30th pick. If not McGlinchy then substitute him for the next best LT. 

Blount would be signed pre draft as a security blanket in case we don’t get an impact day one starter like Guice. 

If some players may be a round higher or lower please don’t kill me on it lol. Iv done some research and it’s amazing how this draft is splitting opinions. The number one ranked OT on one site is the sixth in another. As is the same at QB! ? All over the place this year!

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

It is a fine mock but I don't think Maccagnan would do that way.  If Jets actually drafted OT in 1st then I would expect him to start at RT. Beachum remains a starting LT.  You need to remember that Maccagnan is a team builder not an aggressive team upgrader. That means Jets should not draft a prospect in 1st to overload a certain position.   If Jets are good with Beachum and Shell then we don't expect them to draft OT in 1st. 

Yes, I know he drafted Williams but they had used to Richardson playing outside.

I like Blount and Bryant additions. Those could fix two problems.  Number one option and short yardage power.  Sure, Guice can do it but Jets are a pass first team so they will bring Guice into a full mode slowly.

I can see Smith beat out Winters in TC, which is a good pick.

Matt Elam should be UDFA so maybe qb to continue insulting Hackenberg's potential. lol.

Thanks for the feedback. The only thing with trading up for a hopeful franchise left tackle and playing him RT is we have Shell who is looking good there. I’d rather let him battle in TC and see how he gets on. 

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Lots of thought out into this, love that you incorporated contract numbers too. I love Dez but I'm not overly fond of paying an outside receiver that much money when we kinda have a log jam at the position. I don't think the Bears go WR in round 1 again, they have done so a lot recently. I also think Chubb goes much higher than that. If he is there when we are picking at #6 we'd be silly not to take him.

I don't think McGlinchey lasts that long but I do love the idea of trading up for an LT if one is falling

I think the Bears need to seriously invest in upgrading the talent around Mitch. After drafting Kevin White that didn’t really pay off so they need to do something. 

Again like I said I’m open to trying up for the best available left tackle. Doesn’t matter who it is as the rankings are all I’ve the place.  

2 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Like it, but your numbers are off on some.  Demario will likely get 7-8 per year, Nickell will get paid this off-season as well.  The guy graded out as a top corner this year.  Also, just don't see your 1st three picks still on the board where you picked them, but you never know. 

Can’t see Davis getting paid as the 5/6th best inside linebacker. Who would pay him that??

I really wouldn’t mind paying Nickell good money as I think he would excel in the slot for us. He would be what we thought we were getting out of Skrine. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I can't complain about the ending roster. My only concern is Dez in this culture-building situation and I believe petty will be cut. Might even draft another QB and have him battle Hack. I think Peake and Burris will be cut. Peake will probably be replaced for a KR/PR threat. If this turned out to be the roster, I'm fine. This is a playoff team on paper and you filled in the gaps. Nice work.

I know I really wasn’t sure about Dez but I think you only make the move with that veteran qb in place. If we draft our quarterback then no chance do I make the move. 

7 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I know I really wasn’t sure about Dez but I think you only make the move with that veteran qb in place. If we draft our quarterback then no chance do I make the move. 

I agree with this. I think if Cousins is brought in we immediately are a contender and adding Dez for a mid late round pick is a steal. The question would be would we even consider him with trying to clean up the locker room.

13 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Can’t see Davis getting paid as the 5/6th best inside linebacker. Who would pay him that??

I really wouldn’t mind paying Nickell good money as I think he would excel in the slot for us. He would be what we thought we were getting out of Skrine. 

He graded out as the number 8 LB in the league this year and that covers every LB, not just ILB's.  Spotrac estimates his market value at 8.5 mil per year.

Archived