Bears Hiring Matt Nagy

The Gnat

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Not DeFlippio!!!!!

Flip was my first choice, but I am happy with Nagy. He really helped jumpstart KC's offense when he was given playcalling duties, and he has been with Reid so long he knows the system as well as anyone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

This is just so typical. So basically you want your HC to be a coordinator who fixes your defense or somebody who helps your QB, and the only way to do this is by giving them a HC job. Genius.

So what exactly would have been the right move in your opinion?  And what is wrong about hiring a guy who has the skill set to mesh with what you want to emphasize in for your teams development?  The bears have a lot of young offensive talent (two fantastic RB's, #2 overall pick at QB, an extremely talented but raw TE, great interior OL), so why is it a bad idea to bring in a guy who can polish those guys and set up continuity for them by developing a consistent scheme?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

This is just so typical. So basically you want your HC to be a coordinator who fixes your defense or somebody who helps your QB, and the only way to do this is by giving them a HC job. Genius.

Isn’t that how these things usually work?

12 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Working just fine in SF and LA right now, to be honest. Doesn't mean that this will work, but there's no guarantee that hiring another guy like Fox or someone of that ilk would work either. There's nothing wrong with this move unless you don't like it from an experience standpoint, which I could understand. 

Just now, raiderrocker18 said:

worked for the rams

Its worked for many many teams.  Thats always been how coaches are hired.  You line up the coaching hire with the area of focus you want them to develop most.  It doesn't always work out if your goals are out of whack or if the HC sucks, but thats always the underlying principle behind it.

I hope this works out for the Bears.  I’ve always respected their storied history, and while not a fan of the team, I respect their history and contributions to the game.  Give Matt the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do.  As someone else stated, I’m also sensing a youth movement and a changing of the guard.  You just never know which of these young coaches will become the next field genius - will be fun to watch!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

Working just fine in SF and LA right now, to be honest. Doesn't mean that this will work, but there's no guarantee that hiring another guy like Fox or someone of that ilk would work either. There's nothing wrong with this move unless you don't like it from an experience standpoint, which I could understand. 

I’m not even necessarily criticising the hire,  I’m just saying it just lends to the theory that we have no idea what makes a good HC because our analysis of what makes a good HC hire is what they do as coordinators and nothing about the actual job itself. 

34 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Isn’t that how these things usually work?

Yes, and we still see a lot teams flame out because of it. My point is that if that’s the process by it then what are we still doing with this he’s a great HC, he’s a good HC and he’s bad? Chances are he’ll looking for another job in a few years. 

I did a fist pump when I saw this. One step closer to retaining our entire staff now that Defilippo likely stays.

Also I don't understand how everyone is saying that the Bears are trying to hire the "next McVay".....because I think that Pederson's success probably had a lot more to do with this hire by the Bears. Nagy, like Pederson, has played QB as a backup. And like Pederson, it was for the Eagles and Andy Reid. Albeit, Nagy's stint was wayyyy shorter. Also, both guys coached under Andy Reid before becoming head coaches, and both started as QB coaches followed by their respective promotions to offensive coordinator. Both of which were for Reid, but in Kansas City.

So yeah, this hire is about as close to a "copy" of the Dougie P one as youll find

oh and one more thing that I have to whine about because Im an Eagles fan :P...but people keep acting like McVay was the one who started this idea of bringing in a veteran DC/former HC when Pederson literally did exactly that when he hired Jim Schwartz, only a year before McVay did. So..yeah! take that Rams

Edited by BAConrad

33 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I’m not even necessarily criticising the hire,  I’m just saying it just lends to the theory that we have no idea what makes a good HC because our analysis of what makes a good HC hire is what they do as coordinators and nothing about the actual job itself. 

To be fair most head coaching duties pretty much go as far as managing the clock. Many coaches in the NFL are glorified cheerleaders. Ex: Jason Garrett’s clapping at all costs. Good or bad lol