Bears Hiring Matt Nagy

The Gnat

45 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

I did a fist pump when I saw this. One step closer to retaining our entire staff now that Defilippo likely stays.

Also I don't understand how everyone is saying that the Bears are trying to hire the "next McVay".....because I think that Pederson's success probably had a lot more to do with this hire by the Bears. Nagy, like Pederson, has played QB as a backup. And like Pederson, it was for the Eagles and Andy Reid. Albeit, Nagy's stint was wayyyy shorter. Also, both guys coached under Andy Reid before becoming head coaches, and both started as QB coaches followed by their respective promotions to offensive coordinator. Both of which were for Reid, but in Kansas City.

So yeah, this hire is about as close to a "copy" of the Dougie P one as youll find

oh and one more thing that I have to whine about because Im an Eagles fan :P...but people keep acting like McVay was the one who started this idea of bringing in a veteran DC/former HC when Pederson literally did exactly that when he hired Jim Schwartz, only a year before McVay did. So..yeah! take that Rams

Very good point something I don't think a lot of people have not considered. I have ZERO problem with Nagy being a coach of Pederson's caliber :) 

I like it for the Bears! Like others have said, he probably could use a bit more experience as a coordinator, but this time next year there could have been more teams looking to hire him. The Bears seized the opportunity to hire him, and I think it'll pay off.

1 hour ago, BAConrad said:

people keep acting like McVay was the one who started this idea of bringing in a veteran DC/former HC when Pederson literally did exactly that when he hired Jim Schwartz, only a year before McVay did.

Zimmer brought in THREE former Head Coaches to run the offense when he took the MIN job. Norv Turner (OC), Pat Shurmur (QB) and Tony Sparano (OL).

I don't get the questioning of the hire here.   Let's see:

1.  Chicago isn't an org that's on the A-list for any "hot" candidate (and before any CHI fans think I'm throwing shade, neither is DEN).   They are going to need more than 1 year to get this fixed.

2.   Say what you will about the Andy Reid coaching tree, but they emphasize player development in a system, and preparedness.  

3.   Nagy's area of expertise will be in QB development - which is kind of crucial for Trubisky.

4.  Nagy was the play-caller for when Reid gave up play-calling duties after 4 losses into that 5 game losing streak.   The Chiefs lost the NYJ game but that wasn't on Nagy, that O was on fire, then they won 4 in a row...used K-Hunt, and of course.   To me, like Pederson, Nagy's probably learned what not to repeat with Reid (bad clock management and too-cute play calling that gets away from using their best assets).

I don't think Chicago would have hired a better candidate if they missed on Nagy.   Really think given where they are at, this was clearly their best get possible. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I don't get the questioning of the hire here.   Let's see:

1.  Chicago isn't an org that's on the A-list for any "hot" candidate (and before any CHI fans think I'm throwing shade, neither is DEN).   They are going to need more than 1 year to get this fixed.

2.   Say what you will about the Andy Reid coaching tree, but they emphasize player development in a system, and preparedness.  

3.   Nagy's area of expertise will be in QB development - which is kind of crucial for Trubisky.

4.  Nagy was the play-caller for when Reid gave up play-calling duties after 4 losses into that 5 game losing streak.   The Chiefs lost the NYJ game but that wasn't on Nagy, that O was on fire, then they won 4 in a row...used K-Hunt, and of course.   To me, like Pederson, Nagy's probably learned what not to repeat with Reid (bad clock management and too-cute play calling that gets away from using their best assets).

I don't think Chicago would have hired a better candidate if they missed on Nagy.   Really think given where they are at, this was clearly their best get possible. 

I disagree with your first point.  The last 3 years have been the "rebuild" that everyone has expected.  Tons of roster turnover, replacing old and average players with young and talented ones, and even though the 3 years of John fox have been terrible and a pain to watch, they have always been competitors.  From the perspective of Ryan Pace (who just got a contract extension), John Fox was the guy who got the culture of the locker room sorted and helped develop the "bones" of the operation, while Pace focused on the draft and free agency.  He's largely busted in free agency, though not "spectacularly", as he's hit on guys like Trevathan and Hicks, but his drafts have been very good thus far it seems.  Nagy is the piece to the puzzle that will help solve the offensive woes, and it even appears that Fangio may stick around (knock on wood) and get extended himself to maintain defensive continuity, and this team already has a top 10 defense statistically.  Its so so so hard for me to be an optimistic bears fan knowing the nonsense that has gone on since 2006 with Jerry Angelo and Phil Emery at GM, and with John Fox and Marc Trestman at HC, but I definitely believe in Pace's vision and think that Nagy could really be one of the final pieces to get this team to turn around, and it may come sooner than most people think.  I do also think that the Bears were on the A-list for every candidate on the market if you are looking at just football:  a new, talented, and untainted #2 overall pick at QB, strong runningbacks, great interior OL, and a top 10 Defense.  Needs help at WR1, WR2, K, RT, and some CB help, but overall this team is not in need of a complete overhaul as people say.  

Edited by TankWilliams
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBeast23 said:

To be fair most head coaching duties pretty much go as far as managing the clock. Many coaches in the NFL are glorified cheerleaders. Ex: Jason Garrett’s clapping at all costs. Good or bad lol 

Yeah... no.  That's a horrible generalization especially when you're talking about "most head coaches."

Now, as to Nagy I think you have to wait and see how he fills out his staff.  He certainly has the connections - assuming he, as a quality control coach, established quality relationships with other members of that Eagles coaching staff which over those years were comprised of 4 current NFL HC's and span somewhere around 6 present staffs in the league.  If he can manage to convince Fangio to stay, it'd go a long way to selling me on his ability to assemble a staff because for the moment, I'm a bit concerned he's only really exposed as a non-near-lowest-level staffer with the staff of the Chiefs and I don't imagine Andy Reid just letting him take non-promotional guys out of the goodness of his heart.

19 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Flip might be more ready but I heard his issue was he could have trouble filling out a staff something nagy won't have issues with because of his andy connection. 

See, I don't necessarily see Flip having as much of an issue, whereas Nagy is almost entirely dependent on Andy (and how many of the guys that used to work under Andy are actually without jobs and not retired right now? - I'm not talking about coordinator spots, I'm talking actually filling out a full staff).  Flip has, at the very least, ties to Peterson, Shurmur, Dennis Allen's staff (which gives him Al Saunders as someone he could enlist to help him fill out an offensive staff; as well as Tony Sparano), Rex Ryan, Tom Cable, and Lane Kiffin/Mike MacIntyre (which gives him opportunities to elevate guys from the college coaching ranks for positions coaches as well as a roundabout tie to the Parcells tree through MacIntyre, beyond what he already could have via Sparano).

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

As a Chicagoan, would have preferred DeFilipo personally, but Nagy to me is probably the better fit as I see the KC/Chicago rosters being more comparable.  Personally I'm just happy we DIDN'T go with Shurmur or McDaniels.

Shurmur was a complete failure in Cleveland.

Who in their right mind puts a concussed Colt McCoy back in the game?

3 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

I disagree with your first point.  The last 3 years have been the "rebuild" that everyone has expected.  Tons of roster turnover, replacing old and average players with young and talented ones, and even though the 3 years of John fox have been terrible and a pain to watch, they have always been competitors.  From the perspective of Ryan Pace (who just got a contract extension), John Fox was the guy who got the culture of the locker room sorted and helped develop the "bones" of the operation, while Pace focused on the draft and free agency.  He's largely busted in free agency, though not "spectacularly", as he's hit on guys like Trevathan and Hicks, but his drafts have been very good thus far it seems.  Nagy is the piece to the puzzle that will help solve the offensive woes, and it even appears that Fangio may stick around (knock on wood) and get extended himself to maintain defensive continuity, and this team already has a top 10 defense statistically.  Its so so so hard for me to be an optimistic bears fan knowing the nonsense that has gone on since 2006 with Jerry Angelo and Phil Emery at GM, and with John Fox and Marc Trestman at QB, but I definitely believe in Pace's vision and think that Nagy could really be one of the final pieces to get this team to turn around, and it may come sooner than most people think.  I do also think that the Bears were on the A-list for every candidate on the market if you are looking at just football:  a new, talented, and untainted #2 overall pick at QB, strong runningbacks, great interior OL, and a top 10 Defense.  Needs help at WR1, WR2, K, RT, and some CB help, but overall this team is not in need of a complete overhaul as people say.  

I didn't say it was a complete rebuild - but when you need 2 WR, CB help and a RT, and you have a QB that needs more time in Trubisky, you are more than 1 year away.   Next year if it all goes well is the final year, but 2018 is too early IMO.   To be upfront, DEN is more than 1 year away, too, IMO, so I don't say that lightly (which is a big problem for us given the age/contract stage for our D).   

Nagy is the right guy if you guys are close - but still think it's 1+ year away.   It's not like you guys need to blow it up, at least if Trubisky is the guy.   Nagy is probably the best choice available to get Trubisky to that level.

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

I disagree with your first point.  The last 3 years have been the "rebuild" that everyone has expected.  Tons of roster turnover, replacing old and average players with young and talented ones, and even though the 3 years of John fox have been terrible and a pain to watch, they have always been competitors.  From the perspective of Ryan Pace (who just got a contract extension), John Fox was the guy who got the culture of the locker room sorted and helped develop the "bones" of the operation, while Pace focused on the draft and free agency.  He's largely busted in free agency, though not "spectacularly", as he's hit on guys like Trevathan and Hicks, but his drafts have been very good thus far it seems.  Nagy is the piece to the puzzle that will help solve the offensive woes, and it even appears that Fangio may stick around (knock on wood) and get extended himself to maintain defensive continuity, and this team already has a top 10 defense statistically.  Its so so so hard for me to be an optimistic bears fan knowing the nonsense that has gone on since 2006 with Jerry Angelo and Phil Emery at GM, and with John Fox and Marc Trestman at QB, but I definitely believe in Pace's vision and think that Nagy could really be one of the final pieces to get this team to turn around, and it may come sooner than most people think.  I do also think that the Bears were on the A-list for every candidate on the market if you are looking at just football:  a new, talented, and untainted #2 overall pick at QB, strong runningbacks, great interior OL, and a top 10 Defense.  Needs help at WR1, WR2, K, RT, and some CB help, but overall this team is not in need of a complete overhaul as people say.  

giphy.gif

Edited by Tyty
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I didn't say it was a complete rebuild - but when you need 2 WR, CB help and a RT, and you have a QB that needs more time in Trubisky, you are more than 1 year away.   Next year if it all goes well is the final year, but 2018 is too early IMO.   To be upfront, DEN is more than 1 year away, too, IMO, so I don't say that lightly (which is a big problem for us given the age/contract stage for our D).   

Nagy is the right guy if you guys are close - but still think it's 1+ year away.   It's not like you guys need to blow it up, at least if Trubisky is the guy.   Nagy is probably the best choice available to get Trubisky to that level.

As far as those groups of positional needs, I would not say that they all are needed to be immediately addressed to be successful, and maybe there is just a difference in how we view teams being structured.  No team is ever going to be absent of weaknesses.  For the Bears currently, those are certainly the biggest weakness, of course you also have to assume that the young players develop into something more.  For the Bears currently, they can rely on Cam Meredith and Kevin White (lol) coming back from their injuries, so that only makes 1 WR add a necessity although more would be better.  At CB, Kyle Fuller played like a pro bowler but is not under contract at the end of this season, and amukamara was ok but as always he's an injury risk.  Mostly those are question marks.  RT could use a definite upgrade, the offensive line certainly struggled on the right side this year because of Bobby Massie's inadequacy's and Kyle Long's injuries.  

The Bears are a team that apart from WR, I don't see any massive glaring gaping holes.  They do, however, need to rely on continued development of their young guys, like Trubisky, Howard, Cohen, Floyd, Goldman, Bullard, Amos, and Jackson.

All those guys have been on the team for 3 years or less and were starters last season.  Howard, Amos, and Jackson already played like high end starters at their positions, Goldman, Floyd, and Cohen showed that when given the chance they can certainly be strong contributors, and the others mentioned all looked like they could certainly be long term solutions at their positions.  Maybe expecting them to develop to a point of being capable starters or beyond that within one season is unrealistic on my part, I'm not sure.  I do very much like the young core of this team though, and think that they are a lot closer to being successful than a lot of people might realize