Bears Hire Matt Nagy

WindyCity

As said in the other thread:

Wow holy crap here we go. Nagy was my 1b to DeFillipo as 1a so happy with this, I was never too bothered who we hired as long as it was offensive really, I just want to win some damn games. Can't believe how quick they've got this done, literally 24 hours after his interview, hopefully we've beat other teams to the punch and hoping your theory about Fangio is right @RunningVaccs!

I'd be so excited to see a KC-like offense here. I was watching that Chiefs playoff game thinking all the little gadget plays that they run with Tyreek Hill could be in Tarik Cohen's playbook next year (save the running streaks all the time).

Edited by RidiculousJames

Wrote this on 12/24:

Out of town and got stuck with MIA-KC so I took a good look at Nagy today. (Also got my Cutty fix, but I digress). Liked what I saw a lot. Still have my concerns about Howard and his limited ability in the passing game. He could do A LOT with Cohen though I think. Anyway here are the notes I took during the game:

-Lots of formation diversity. Uses a lot of bunch to scheme receivers open. It’s like he and Loggains don’t even coach in the same sport. Lots of plays that look the same pre-snap that aren’t the same, and you can see its impact on the defense.

-Someone goes deep almost every play. Opens up the intermediate passing game a lot. Not just the speed guys either (and there is a lot of speed there) - all 3 of their TEs saw downfield targets today.

-Love their red zone scheme. 3rd and goal goes 5 wide. TD by Kelce on Reshad Jones. Creating mismatches. 3rd and goal from the 2 shotgun 3WR to a run tor the TD. Spread the defense out. 6 guys blocking 7 allows more space to run than 9 blocking 11. 

-A lot of running from the shotgun (Howard is one of the best in the league running from shotgun). I like Cohen in this offense a lot too. 

-A lot of pre-snap motion. Specifically they motioned the end around with Hill probably 5-6 times, and have it to him once. Dictating confusion on the defensive side of the ball. 

-LOTS of targets for pending UFA Albert Wilson. Lots of slants and quick hits. 

We are going to get a big boy diverse NFL offense. Finally. I have some concerns about Howard as a receiver in this offense but am also incredibly excited to see him run against non-8/9 man fronts. Perfect fit for Cohen IMO. 

• Like 2

His offense will fit with what we have and based on that one Twitter rumor that "Nagy loved Mitch and wanted him for the Chiefs" makes me think he really believes in Mitch which is so underrated. Our offense will be innovative and easy to comprehend for players. We also don't need elite OTs since he does allow for OT help from my understanding. The guy also played QB in the Arena league.

Can we keep Vic? That would be a home run if we could.  

Why I am a fan of Matt Nagy

1. Andy Ried just produces NFL Head Coaches and has called Nagy the best coaching prospect he has ever had.

2. Andy Ried can help him build a staff. Gabriel talked about how Ried helped Pederson assemble an incredibly strong staff in Philly. Access to the Ried Rolodex is huge for building a staff.

3. The Chiefs offense is the most creative and unpredictable in the NFL and Nagy has a masters in it.

4. The Chiefs offense got better when he called plays this season. 

5. Has played QB, has coached QBs, and knows the position that we need to develop.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

After throwing George Edwards onto the interview list and leaving Nagy to last it seemed like this could happen.

Love the bold aggressive move.

And we are still the first team to hire a HC this offseason, so this could play in our favor for building a staff, as well as allowing more time for Nagy to be involved in scouting and draft prep.

• Like 1

Say what you will about Pace in FA (Windy maybe not bud) but I do admire his decisiveness.  Just like the Trubisky move he's not shy about going after what he wants. 

I am now very curious to know the truth of whether Andy Reid really was calling plays in the playoff loss.  Did anyone watch the game closely enough to tell?