Bears Hire Matt Nagy

WindyCity

39 minutes ago, Mudderfudder77 said:

I think you've got it wrong.  I have no idea if this is true - but i know that Andy Reid does everything in his power to help his assistants.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Reid told Nagy to take a couple of hours and prepare for the biggest interview of his life.  Say what you will about Reid's coaching - but his coaching tree is unbelievable and a lot of that is because of how Reid hires/develops/prepares his coaches to move up and on.

THAT feels right to me. If you read Nagy's story, it is full of people who have gone the extra mile for him in his career. Here's a great read that talks about it:  http://www.chiefs.com/longreads/2017/mattnagy.html 

Andy Reid helping him out is consistent with what others have done for him.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

How will our OTs handle the pressure Nagy will put on them in pass protection? Does this mean we need a premier OT at the right tackle position? 

I think it remains to be seen. Is Nagy going to try to replicate the KC offense here? Or is he going to supplement what’s already here with more talent and then cater this offense to our talent? I’d like to think it’s the latter. 

I’ll worry about that tomorrow. Right now I’m gonna soak in the excitement of a new HC who I think has a really high potential. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mudderfudder77 said:

I think you've got it wrong.  I have no idea if this is true - but i know that Andy Reid does everything in his power to help his assistants.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Reid told Nagy to take a couple of hours and prepare for the biggest interview of his life.  Say what you will about Reid's coaching - but his coaching tree is unbelievable and a lot of that is because of how Reid hires/develops/prepares his coaches to move up and on.

I still don't believe it. Of course he helps his assistants, I believe Reid tries to better all his assistants and grooms them to potentially become HCs. But not at the expense of their current job and against his own. Nagy was a hot name and was going to get a shot, this year or next, and winning was the most important objective for them that week. A deep postseason run would have only further reinforced his resume, rather than potentially having playcalling duties stripped in the second half of a playoff game.

Reid is a mentor, but still is a HC and not focusing him and Nagy on the game would be a disservice to KC IMO.

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

People seem to really dismiss fangio too quickly around here (based on being a conservative playcaller, etc), but he's really gotten this defense in tip top shape.  We can't ignore that.  Its always nice to think about blowing it up and starting over when needed, but why start over again when Fangio and the defensive staff have done so much?  If we can retain Fangio and Donatell,  I don't see any change in the defensive continuity and our offense will be set to improve in a huge way.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyty said:

These kind of expectations after a 5-11 season are what causes new head coaches to fail 

More hope and in the moment happy feels than expectations.  I could see it but I can also see a 6-10 season where the bear struggle