Bears Hire Matt Nagy

WindyCity

• 4 years later...
45 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Frankly the only one of us who wasn't at least partway onboard was Ty, and that's only because he mostly seems to communicate in memes so I really have no idea what he means but it felt cautiously concerned. 

I don't think I ever commented in this thread and I don't remember my thoughts at the time. I will say that after the first season I thought they could be headed in the right direction if things(offense) improved. Obviously we see the outcome now.

On 1/8/2018 at 11:19 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Wrote this on 12/24:

Out of town and got stuck with MIA-KC so I took a good look at Nagy today. (Also got my Cutty fix, but I digress). Liked what I saw a lot. Still have my concerns about Howard and his limited ability in the passing game. He could do A LOT with Cohen though I think. Anyway here are the notes I took during the game:

-Lots of formation diversity. Uses a lot of bunch to scheme receivers open. It’s like he and Loggains don’t even coach in the same sport. Lots of plays that look the same pre-snap that aren’t the same, and you can see its impact on the defense.

-Someone goes deep almost every play. Opens up the intermediate passing game a lot. Not just the speed guys either (and there is a lot of speed there) - all 3 of their TEs saw downfield targets today.

-Love their red zone scheme. 3rd and goal goes 5 wide. TD by Kelce on Reshad Jones. Creating mismatches. 3rd and goal from the 2 shotgun 3WR to a run tor the TD. Spread the defense out. 6 guys blocking 7 allows more space to run than 9 blocking 11. 

-A lot of running from the shotgun (Howard is one of the best in the league running from shotgun). I like Cohen in this offense a lot too. 

-A lot of pre-snap motion. Specifically they motioned the end around with Hill probably 5-6 times, and have it to him once. Dictating confusion on the defensive side of the ball. 

-LOTS of targets for pending UFA Albert Wilson. Lots of slants and quick hits. 

We are going to get a big boy diverse NFL offense. Finally. I have some concerns about Howard as a receiver in this offense but am also incredibly excited to see him run against non-8/9 man fronts. Perfect fit for Cohen IMO. 

Looking at what I saw from “Nagy” in KC versus what we got instead. MY GAWD WERE WE SOLD SOME SNAKE OIL.

• Like 1