Divisional Round - Patriots vs Titans

tonyto36

On offense, the Patriots should have no problems scoring on a mediocre defense, and our defense shouldn't have much trouble defending a one dimensional offense.  Decker and Walker are the Titans two best receivers and neither scare me.   Patriots rush defense issues - particularly on the edge might crop up, but without the threat of really being pushed or punished deep I think we'll see a lot of aggressive cover 1 to help the defensive line out with McCourty/Chung.  

Patriots win 34-20.  Titans get a garbage time TD and the game is never really in doubt.  

I've just read they are 24th in covering TEs and 32nd in covering RBs in the passing game. This is obviously our strength, so I expect a heavy dose of death by a 1000 running back catches. 

Actually, it's a good week to get White back into form/rolling again. I think we will use heavy sets a lot, with Dev in. Their LBs are not good in coverage, so we may want to keep all 3 in, and use PA passing to TE/RB. 

I love it when we play like that. See Denver game.

10 hours ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Any word on Malcolm Mitchell? Rex Burkhead?

Malcolm Mitchell apparently didn't practice, and Burkhead was a limited participant. Mitchell wasn't listed on the injury report as he isn't actually on the active roster. Gillislee didn't practice either.

The WR I am more interested in is Hogan. If he can get back to even something approaching his early season form, it would make a big difference for us IMO. 

Titans running game obviously a potential worry, run D has not been a strong suit so far. Let's hope Branch is ready to give something against the run and that Guy/Brown have another good game.

Mariota’s mobility and their OL/run game is going to be the big deal here. It’d be nice to see the defense stymie the two, as just about every opponent from this point on has at least a solid run game (Bell/Fournette in the AFC, Ajayi, Murray/McKinnon, Ingram/Kamara, Freeman/Coleman in the NFC). 

Other than that, this is probably the least worried I’ve been heading into a playoff matchup in a while (that 2014 Colts game might top it). Still, should be a fun game.

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

Any word on Hogan and Burkhead yet?

Burkhead apparently favouring his injured leg and looking quite limited. Haven't heard anything more on Hogan. Marquis Flowers not seen at practice either, injury report pending. Gillislee and Mitchell both still not practicing.

PLAYOFF football! It's back and I couldn't be more pumped. Overall, I don't think we could have asked for a better first round opponent. I actually preferred the Titans opposed to the Bills, just because of the division factor and how difficult it is to beat a team three times in a season. Some thoughts…

1)  Just have this weird gut feeling that if we win the toss that Belichick is going to take the ball to start. I know, I know, his MO is to defer. But I really think he wants to take the ball, hopefully drive down the field, score a TD and make Mariota and this Titans team play from behind. Not that the Titans will abandon the run game that early, but I think he'll really want to put the pressure on them right off the get go.

2)  That being said, I could see us starting slow coming off the bye, the rust factor and a lot of key offensive weapons coming back from injury. But overall, our offense going to eat. Game plan wise…I think we're going to see a different Patriots offense than we've seen the last few weeks. By that I mean, less of the Dion Lewis show and more of a passing attack. McDaniels game plan SHOULD be to spread the Titans out and pass the ball. The Titans are awful against defending tight ends and receiving backs. Luckily for us, we have the best tight end of all time and James White returning. I'm expecting both to eat. I'm not sure about Burkhead's health status; you could very well replace my White's big game prediction with Burkheads if he's relatively healthy. Travis Kelce was destroying the Titans before he went down and as we know, Gronk is a much better player than Kelce.

3) Another area to attack the Titans secondary is via the deep pass. Just look how Hill was exploiting them last week. This bodes well for Cooks and Hogan.

4)  My biggest area of concern about the Titans offense is Mariota's mobility. I don't think he's a good QB, like at all. As a passer he's inaccurate and inconsistent. But we've seen how mobile QB's typically give us fits.

5)  Davis is the WR I'm most worried about. He's super athletic and talented. Decker is washed up. Walker is a very solid TE but I'm confident in Chung, I think Walker is the type of TE that Chung really excels against.

My prediction- 31-21 Patriots. We see Jacksonville in Foxboro next week. #OneForTheOtherHand

Archived