Playoff Game Day Threads

RuskieTitan

Touched on this briefly in one of the NFL Gen Game Day Threads for an upcoming division matchup next weekend, but I felt it could benefit with an actual 'feedback' post.

Personally, individual team forums should have their game day threads generated however the posters / mods for that specific team deem necessary, I understand certain team forums have very high levels of activity and others not so much, but that's for those specific teams.

However, for NFL Gen, I feel that it would help the site greatly if we either had moderators, or specifically approved individuals set-up the playoff game day threads.

Playoffs are a big deal for football fans, and the week leading up to a playoff game matchup can generate a LOT of conversation, as well as into the actual game being played. And for this site, a lot of people who might not yet have signed up or are just browsing the internet could stumble upon our forum and see the discussion going on and want to join.

Which makes it rather sad when these key playoff game threads are created with nothing more than "Let's chat". "Let's chat?" Really? That's what we are going to present?

IMO, we should have a higher standard when it comes to playoff game threads in the NFL General Forum. An actual Original Post, that showcases the teams that are facing off, key players and matchups, injury report, etc. Throw in some pictures, make it look nice. After all, we all want this site to continue to grow and thrive, so if we have mods or someone else take 15 minutes to put together an intriguing original post that provides some information on the upcoming matchup, it would help generate more interest, and fuel more discussion leading up to the game. After all, if you were a random Joe who was browsing online, looking for someplace to talk about the upcoming playoff game, what would interest you more, opening a thread to read about the two teams that are preparing to square off, or "Let's chat"? A strong original post should also be updated throughout the week if players are declared out and other changes during the upcoming week. Maybe if something hits the media regarding what a player said about the matchup, whatever it might be, add it into the OP of the GDT so that both regular users as well as new folks can open up the first post and get a sense of the upcoming matchup without having to necessarily dig into page 17 of a 36 page thread, for example.

I'm not saying this needs to be done for weekly GDT during the season, SNF or TNF or MNF. But we have 4 weekends of playoff football - Wildcard, Divisional, Conf Championship, and Super Bowl. Would 4 weeks worth of prepared, well presented game day threads really be that much of a burden? No one has to be 'forced' into doing it, we could have volunteers sign up in another place (Feedback forum?) where people request the right to generate the GDT. Don't want to necessarily make it exclusive to posters who are fans of the teams playing, but just some people who are interested and have the time to create and update something like that. If someone falls off or goes MIA, just go to the next person on the list and ask them. Could make it easier by delegating the threads to the team specific Mods or something.

I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking things a bit. But it'd be nice to open a game day thread on Monday for a matchup the coming weekend and be able to read some summaries, injury reports, matchups, that sort of thing. Instead of just Let's chat.

Archived