Divisional Round GDT: #6 Atlanta Falconies @ #1 Philly Footlongs

24 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Because it's supposed to be the "4" Division winners H2H if WC team didn't win. Hence Conference Championship the following week.

But it's not. 

Conference Championship makes sense obviously. It's for the conference. 

9 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:
33 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Because it's supposed to be the "4" Division winners H2H if WC team didn't win. Hence Conference Championship the following week.

But it's not. 

Conference Championship makes sense obviously. It's for the conference. 

4 Division winners get hm GM's. 2 of which are forced to play a WC gm. If both Division Winners Win, the following week is the Divisional Week Matchup? If a WC team wins instead, it's still Divisional. N/S/E/W

20 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Isn't it a hold over from when there weren't WC teams? It literally used to be the four divisions facing off.

Yep, but there used to only be 3 divisions

So for awhile post merger you had:

1,2,3 and a wildcard. 

They then expanded it to be two wildcard teams around the time they put in true seeding in the 70s, and made Wildcard weekend.
Where the 4th and 5th seeds from both conferences would play before moving on to play the top seed.

Early 90s they added a third Wildcard team, and the weakest of the three division winners was demoted out of the divisional round.
Once the league expanded to 32 in 2002 and went to 4 divisions, they just swapped one of the wildcard spots for the winner of the two new South divisions

Pre merger was kinda weird..they even had a 3rd place game

Point stands though, it's pretty pointless to call it a divisional round. Like did Atlanta steal the western division championship? Division champs were already crowned. But I see how at one point they did. Semi finals or something would be more accurate. 

7 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

10%

He like most coaches are stuck in believing what got them there is what they need to do for future success. 

Wentz it’s walking thru the tunnel to play, so what helped “get them there” isn’t the same. He has to adjust gameplan. 

Just now, 808 said:

Wentz it’s walking thru the tunnel to play, so what helped “get them there” isn’t the same. He has to adjust gameplan. 

No Wentz isn't walking without crutches last I seen, but I did see tons of RPOs and some of the same type of plays those last two weeks. To say he's going to run an offense entirely different makes you wonder:

why sign Foles if he can't run the same offense?

Does DougieP think 1 week probably the equiv of 3/4 days of real practice time enough time to revamp and mold the offense around Foles? 

I think he'll talk to Foles about what he plays likes within the current playbook and he'll review what did he do well. He'll also try to put in some items based off what works vs the Falcons that is similar to what we currently do.  

I was thinking more runs plays than normal, like we saw last season vs ATL. Their defense is undersized, Doug should look to take advantage there. If Foles has to drop back 35+ times, that’s a terrible sign IMO. We need to control the clock to win, and that should be thanks in large part to keeping the chains moving consistently. 

3 minutes ago, 808 said:

I was thinking more runs plays than normal, like we saw last season vs ATL. Their defense is undersized, Doug should look to take advantage there. If Foles has to drop back 35+ times, that’s a terrible sign IMO. We need to control the clock to win, and that should be thanks in large part to keeping the chains moving consistently. 

I agree, but there will be the occasional 3rd down throw he has to make in a crucial moment. Hell he may have Foles throw early and often so Atlanta doesn't load up on the run. Also don't forget he's from the AR/MM school of thought. Tired pass rushers aren't as willing to tackle when tired. 

Archived