MLBs that know their opponent playbook

indifference

I know Luke Kuechly and Sean Lee have that ability. Are there any other MLBs in the league that have that football acumen? Its just fascinating to me that these guys can singly handily keep the entire defense stout with their intelligence. While most MLBs can call out some plays throughout a game it just seems that Lee and Keuchly are never fooled pre snap. And I don’t know any other backers that can do what they do.

10 minutes ago, indifference said:

I know Luke Kuechly and Sean Lee have that ability. Are there any other MLBs in the league that have that football acumen? Its just fascinating to me that these guys can singly handily keep the entire defense stout with their intelligence. While most MLBs can call out some plays throughout a game it just seems that Lee and Keuchly are never fooled pre snap. And I don’t know any other backers that can do what they do.

Clay Mathews is just a linebacker.

He thought he knew the Panthers playbook.

Clay thought wrong.

I don't think they know the opposition's playbook (that's some Alan Turing stuff right there), but it's what you say - intelligence. Luke, for example, looks at their formation, knows what their top plays from that formation is, looks for patterns etc. Sometimes he just audibles to match the QBs audibles to mess with their rhythm etc

Others? Not many is there. Wagner springs to mind.

50 minutes ago, indifference said:

Its just fascinating to me that these guys can singly handily keep the entire defense stout with their intelligence.

The guys that stand/stood out in this regard in my humblest of opinions:

Luke Kuechly

Sean Lee

Brian Urlacher

Clay Mathews

Zach Thomas

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Watching some Vikings games, you actually see Harrison Smith do this.

While he isn't a MLB, he basically is a rover that plays all over the field.

maybe someday he'll be good enough for Pro Bowl honors!!

(Even though he'll be too busy to play in it this season)

How about a guy who was intelligent against one QB?

Essentially the Chargers had a Jag named Stephen Cooper who was quite ordinary against every other opponent. But seemed to really light it up against Peyton Manning for some reason.

On 1/8/2018 at 1:47 PM, indifference said:

I know Luke Kuechly and Sean Lee have that ability.

Yes. Which is why I like watching cowboys games with my brother(he's a cowboys fan). Sean Lee is in on a lot of plays. He's in there getting running back behind the line of scrimmage. I know I've said in patriots forum a few times that we need to get us a Sean Lee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCkg5FQjCkQ

On 2018-01-08 at 3:37 PM, cddolphin said:

The guys that stand/stood out in this regard in my humblest of opinions:

Luke Kuechly

Sean Lee

Brian Urlacher

Clay Mathews

Zach Thomas

Add Sam Mills. I never knew that there were MLB's or other defenders that would end up knowing every play. I first learned about this when Jamie Dukes told the story of Mills knowing every play they called. That is almost unfair, the D should win those games shouldn't they:o

19 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

maybe someday he'll be good enough for Pro Bowl honors!!

(Even though he'll be too busy to play in it this season)

good one. Typical fans don't notice this, and most color analysts don't anymore either.  What is your take  on TD celebrations btw?

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

good one. Typical fans don't notice this, and most color analysts don't anymore either.  What is your take  on TD celebrations btw?

Well I remember this play, but I didn't know he was trying to line up another player and instead just did it himself lol. Harrison Smith is so awesome!

I don't mind them. Its fun again this year.

What I don't like is the celebrating a tackle or getting a first down. Stay focused and celebrate when you get off the field.

On 1/8/2018 at 2:54 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Keuchley is ridiculous.  I want him on my team.

It was kind of cool them highlighting that in the broadcast. Buck and Aikman mentioned everyone always says Kuechly knows plays, etc. So they’re like, “We asked Brees, since he actually plays against the guy.” And Brees went, “Ayup.”

Archived