Report: Browns were offering 4th overall + more for Jimmy G

tonyto36

_froz.htmlhttps://www.patspulpit.com/2018/1/8/16865586/browns-were-willing-to-give-the-patriots-the-4th-overall-pick-and-more-for-jimmy-garoppolo

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/01/how_cleveland_browns_were_froz.html

I know that Brown was willing to part with Houston's first-round pick and other goodies. He would have been willing to help Belichick shop around for a backup quarterback to help the trade work.

I know that Brown was willing to part with Houston's first-round pick and other goodies. He would have been willing to help Belichick shop around for a backup quarterback to help the trade work.

So why would Belichick trade Jimmy G to the Niners instead?   Because he's scared to death of him leaving Cleveland and beating the Patriots twice a year on the Jets.

Why would Belichick be afraid of that?  Because he thinks he's the guy.

Why would Belichick trade the guy?   Because he was forced to.  

The combination of the Browns being an utter mess of a franchise and Belichick's own personal animosity towards the city/organization seemed to be the deciding factor.

He really liked Garoppolo and wanted to send him somewhere he thought he could succeed.

5 minutes ago, Starless said:

The combination of the Browns being an utter mess of a franchise and Belichick's own personal animosity towards the city/organization seemed to be the deciding factor.

He really liked Garoppolo and wanted to send him somewhere he thought he could succeed.

It really does not matter if he would or would not trade him to the Browns.  I hope you can see this.

1.  The mere threat of a bidding war, even if illusionary, would raise the price for the Niners

2.  It goes to show that other teams were clearly offering more than the Niners, but were not even given the chance to bid on him.   We could have gotten a first elsewhere, even if the Patriots didn't want to send JG to the Browns for whatever reason. 

And quite frankly, who cares if Belichick hates the Browns, or wants JG to succeed.  I WANT THE PATRIOTS TO WIN.  And if we could have gotten the 4th overall pick plus more for him?  That is a massive haul and it is insanity that we didn't take that "because we want JG to succeed".  That is insane.  Since when was a NON PATRIOTS PLAYER more important than the well being of the franchise?

2 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

It really does not matter if he would or would not trade him to the Browns.  I hope you can see this.

1.  The mere threat of a bidding war, even if illusionary, would raise the price for the Niners

2.  It goes to show that other teams were clearly offering more than the Niners, but were not even given the chance to bid on him.   We could have gotten a first elsewhere, even if the Patriots didn't want to send JG to the Browns for whatever reason. 

And quite frankly, who cares if Belichick hates the Browns, or wants JG to succeed.  I WANT THE PATRIOTS TO WIN.  And if we could have gotten the 4th overall pick plus more for him?  That is a massive haul and it is insanity that we didn't take that "because we want JG to succeed".  That is insane.  Since when was a NON PATRIOTS PLAYER more important than the well being of the franchise?

I'm sure he'll consult you the next time he's thinking about trading a player.

6 minutes ago, Starless said:

I'm sure he'll consult you the next time he's thinking about trading a player.

You say that sarcastically but illustrates my overall point.

Belichick is not incompetent.

The trade makes no sense under traditional Belichick evaluation.  He would not do it.   He was pressed. 

1 minute ago, tonyto36 said:

You say that sarcastically but illustrates my overall point.

Belichick is not incompetent.

The trade makes no sense under traditional Belichick evaluation.  He would not do it.   He was pressed. 

Again, your conclusion doesn't follow from your reasoning or what the known facts are.

5 minutes ago, G-McDog said:

Why does he hate the browns so much?

Short answer: He wasn't allowed to run the Browns the way he wanted to when he was HC there and Art Modell fired him after moving the team to Baltimore even though he'd assured him previously that he'd retain him.

Longer answer: Read The Education of a Coach

Ugh, I'm not sure I want to keep this thread open. Patspulpit is not a legitimate source of news. The cleveland.com article is extrapolating almost entirely from the ESPN article (we all know which), and that's probably why they are the only ones running it. His own sources only confirmed that the Brown's inquired about Jimmy and then relies totally on Sam for the rest of his assertions. 

How could anyone think BB was forced to trade Jimmy? Same thing happened with Parcells and caused a rift and if Kraft told BB he had to do something that was against his judgement the only way BB would acquiesce is if he was retiring or changing teams the following year.

Everything about what the Browns may or may not have offered has proved to be speculation. In the media there were some saying that even in the off season it would be ridiculous for the Browns to trade the 12 let alone the 1. But now I'm supposed to believe they were willing to trade the 4 when it looked he was completely off the market? Either way, at the time, the Niners had the 34 and 2. You really think the threat of the Browns was going to get them the 2? 

Also here's another idea. The Texans were 4-4 at the time, Watson didn't get injured until a couple days after the trade deadline. It literally looked like the Texans were about to win the crap division that was the AFC South and get pushed into the 20-32 range. And I'm pretty sure if Watson got injured the following week, the Browns would never consider it (assuming it was even real). 20-32 vs the 34 and out of the division. It just so happened that at the time the Browns got real lucky with Watson getting hurt and the Texans going 1-8 the rest of the way and we got unlucky that Jimmy played and the Niner's started winning. 

So you weren't going to be able to leverage that pick into the number 2 pick at the time. It would have been absurd.

This whole argument over Jimmy relies solely on the benefit of hindsight. The simplest answer is usually the correct one. Going into the season we were told "BB values having a quality back up and they want to see how Brady plays". That meant we were unsure of the course when we could have maximized a trade. Brady was playing at an MVP level, we couldn't cut a realistic deal with Jimmy and couldn't guarantee he would start next year. The deadline was almost up. A decision was made. The 34 at the time was offered for a team in the NFC that we wouldn't play for 3 years with a coach Belichick has a connection to. It isn't rocket science. 

At the time it wasn't the 4. It didn't look like it was going to be close to the 4. And if it was the 4, it wasn't going to be in play. Not to mention their is nothing to corroborate that it was even going to be offered.

Nonsense. If BB could’ve gotten a first for JG he would’ve traded his ***. The reality is the market for JG wasn’t nearly as high as he thought it would be this offseason. Teams were scared of him being another cassell. 

Also This idea that B.B. would turn down better compensation from the browns over SF or another team because he hates the browns or wanted to do “the right thing” for Jimmy is also laughable. We’re talking about the man who traded one of the greatest patriots of all time in Richard Seymour to nfl Siberia for a first round pick 

Archived