2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

4 hours ago, spilltray said:

It's probably a good idea to look at the WR prospects potentially available late 1st to 4th rounds pretty heavily. Both Cobb and Nelson are entering contract years and Nelson has clearly started to lose a step. I fully expect Devante Adams to get a deal, but it's time to bring in some guys that have legit starting ability. Look for route running and consistency over pure athletic ability. We are looking for a guy that does the little things and probably has pretty productive volume stats.

Our WR corp is good for this year, but I"m thinking the cupboard is pretty void moving forward. 

Poor Jordy has lost a step and it hasn't come back yet this year.  Time to draft someone with WR #1 qualities.

Cobb is up and down and getting dinged up.  

Allison, well, to me he isn't a WR1 or WR2.

Janis, well, I don't think he will ever get the confidence of the coaches to sniff WR1 or WR2 snaps.

Davis, too small to play WR1 or WR2.

I'm hoping that a year on the PS gives Clark a leg up and that we can pickup a WR in round 2 or round 3 to pair with Davante in the future.

21 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Sure WR is good now, 2017, and next year isn't a worry either but past that definitely is and I'd like to get at least one guy you are grooming as a #2-3 in system a year before you REALLY need him.

Absolutely.  Draft and develop works best when the drafted players have a year or 2 to develop before being thrust into a high volume role

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Absolutely.  Draft and develop works best when the drafted players have a year or 2 to develop before being thrust into a high volume role

My ideal scenario would be resigning Adams to a fair deal, and drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds in 2018. His rookie year, he's a 4/5 option, if the right type, maybe he gets a shot at returner. In 2019, resign Jordy to a deal he can live up to. By that point he'll be a solid #2 and your young guy can move up to the 2/3 role as his ability and skill merits.

One key is looking for a guy that can be a perimeter WR. I'm not interested in slot type guys.

21 minutes ago, spilltray said:

My ideal scenario would be resigning Adams to a fair deal, and drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds in 2018. His rookie year, he's a 4/5 option, if the right type, maybe he gets a shot at returner. In 2019, resign Jordy to a deal he can live up to. By that point he'll be a solid #2 and your young guy can move up to the 2/3 role as his ability and skill merits.

One key is looking for a guy that can be a perimeter WR. I'm not interested in slot type guys.

Very much agree.  As much as I like Cobb as a player and person for GB.  Having spent a 2nd round pick on a slot only WR seems like poor value, especially when you see other good slot WR around the league....Edelman, Amendola, Beasley, Crowder, among others.  It seems like you can find those types of WR without having to invest the premium draft pick.  

Monty could certainly serve the slot role very well if Jones is able to be a lead RB.  

Archived