2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

We have to find an Edge

We have to find a corner

We desperately need to inject youth at WR

Lance Kendricks is currently our starting tight end

Morgan Burnett may be leaving

Spriggs is currently our RT - we think

Now how do you feel about trading away a 3rd ? Some years may warrant a trade up. I think this is a year where you stand pat and throw as many darts as possible

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

We have to find an Edge

We have to find a corner

Now how do you feel about trading away a 3rd ? Some years may warrant a trade up. I think this is a year where you stand pat and throw as many darts as possible

Or even trade down a few spots - just enough for an extra 3rd rounder. Maybe if you planned (hoped) the early picks would go OLB, WR, CB, TE, then you could consider something like an OT who might develop into a starter quality player or a safety to help replace Burnett. Since all those players would be 1-3 rounders, this draft has the potential to improve the team significantly.

On 2/10/2018 at 1:11 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

I certainly agree with that being a bad idea this year. You cannot expect the very top prospects like RB Saquon Barkley and DE Bradley Chubb to fall even to #10. There is no obvious premium corner or receiver, that might be there for the Packers and little consensus over who the top pass rusher is after Chubb. This is not a Julio Jones year (taken at #6) or a Patrick Peterson year (taken 5th). Nor is there a clear no.2 pass rusher (after Chubb), or even that usually reliable early pick, a consensus top OT.

The cost to move up is very, very steep. This does however, look like a year you could trade back and still get similar talent. Just as it is expensive to move up, so it reaps a good reward if you trade down four or five spots (equal in value to an extra 78th or 73rd pick in round 3, on the JJ chart). Unless there is someone the Packers really like at #14, that might be a good move (assuming any team WANTS to trade up).

I mean, in more cases than not it's not wise to make a move up, let alone a significant move.  Let's say that the Falcons trade up for Julio Jones turned out to be a flop, and Julio Jones wasn't the player he was today.  How much do you think that sets back the Falcons franchise?  More often than not, you're giving up more than the pick is worth and you limit your ability to maneuver around in the rest of the draft.  At this point, the only player I'd consider trading up for is Bradley Chubb, and there's probably a slightly above non-zero chance he's on board in a range where it isn't cost prohibitive to make a move up the board.  If Indianapolis doesn't take him at 3, you'd have to assume Tampa Bay at 7 would jump at the opportunity.

14 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I think you could still be right. Say for instance, there is a run on QB’s and Chubb falls to say 8-10. I say we go get him. Could happen. 

It could, but is it realistically going to happen?  No.  So I'm not going to weigh too much on the unlikely possibility.  Indianapolis is primed to pick him at 3, and if they pass on him Tampa Bay at 7 is almost certainly not going to pass up on him.  And that's not the only two teams that will take him, those are just the two obvious teams who would take him before the Packers would be in a range to move up.

8 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Would you make that deal for any one, or more than one, of the players below ? (if more than one list order of preference) 

RB Barkley, DE Chubb, OG Nelson, LB Edmunds, WR Ridley, DL Vea, DB Fitzpatrick.

The only player I'd even remotely consider making a move up for is Bradley Chubb.  And I seriously doubt he'll be available.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Chubb and Fitzpatrick I could understand. The rest of that list is pure idiocy.

If Fitzpatrick were an elite cover corner, I'd probably agree.  But he's one of those CB/S tweeners, whose not really a shutdown corner.  That's not overly valuable.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

We have to find an Edge

We have to find a corner

I would only be tempted to move up in the 1st round for an edge . Especially if those with 1st round grades are going off the board fast. Our primary need is to improve the pass rush. Chubb seems to be the only sure fire one. My guess is he goes top 5. The others seem to have "warts" but if the Packers have 1sr round grades on some of them, they will have to watch the board carefully. They must come away with an edge good enough to draw blocking away from CM III and Perry. WR hopefully will come through FA. Maybe even corner via FA. Can't do it all with the draft. TT tried that and left us with a lot of holes (listed above). BG is going to have to restructure and extend Nelson and CM III to find cap room. I'm not for cutting Bulaga. I'm on the fence about Cobb. Monty could play the slot receiver. Even if a trade up is necessary, there should be enough picks left for a TE and T. With a year of experience and a simplified defense, Josh Jones should be fine at S. And Brice will be back for another try.

My current rankings by position 

QB

1.Lamar Jackson Louisville

2.Josh Rosen UCLA

3.Baker Mayfield Oklahoma 

4.Sam Darnold USC

5.Josh Allen Wyoming

RB.

1. Saquan Barkley Penn State

2.Sony Michel Georgia

3.Rashaad Penny San Diego State

4.Ronald Jones USC

5.Derrius Guice LSU

6.Kerryon Johnson Auburn

7.Nick Chubb Georgia

8.Kalen Ballage Arizona State

9.Jaylen Samuels NC State

10.Royce Freeman Oregon

WR 

1.Calvin Ridley Alabama

2.Equanimeous St Brown Notre Dame

3.Christian Kirk Texas A&M

4.Courtland Sutton SMU

5.Simmie Cobbs Indiana

6.Auden Tate Florida State

7.DaeShawn Hamilton Penn State

8.Anthony Miller Memphis

9.Marcel Ateman Oklahoma State

10.Deon Cain Clemson

TE

1.Dallas Goedert South Dakota State

2.Dalton Schultz Stanford

3.Mark Andrews Oklahoma

4.Hayden Hurst South Caroliba

5.Mike Gesicki Penn State

OT

1.Mike McGlinchey Notre Dame

2.Connor Williams Texas

3.Orlando Brown Oklahoma

4.Brian O Neil Pittsburgh

5.Kolton Miller UCLA

6.Martinas Rankin Mississippi State

7.Brandon Parker North Carolina AT&T

8.Desmond Harrison West Georgia

9.Chukwuma Okorafor Western Michigan

10.Greg Senat Wagner

OG/C

1.Quenton Nelson Notre Dame

2.Billy Price Ohio State

3.Isiah Wynn Georgia

4.Will Hernandez UTEP

5.Frank Ragnow Arkansas

6.Braden Smith Auburn

7.Sean Welsh Iowa

8.Will Clapp LSU

9.Wyatt Teller Virginia Tech

10.Sam Jones Arizona State

EDGE

1.Bradley Chubb NC State

2.Marcus Davenport UTSA

3.Dorance Armstrong Kansas

4.Arden Key LSU

5. Sam Hubbard Ohio State

6.Duke Ejiofor Wake Forest

7.Harold Landry Boston College

8.Josh Sweat Florida State

9.Marcell Frazier Missouri

10.Ja’Von Rolland Jones Arkansas State

DE

1.Bradley Chubb North Carolina State

2.Breeland Speaks Ole Miss 

3.Rasheem Greene USC

4.Chad Thomas Miami 

5.Jalyn Holmes Ohio State 

DT

1.Da’Ron Payne Alabama

2.Vita Vea Washington 

3.Harrison Phillips Stanford

4.Tim Settle Virginia Tech

5.Kendrick Norton Miami 

LB

1.Roquan Smith Georgia 

2.Tremaine Edwards Virgina Tech

3.Malik Jefferson Texas

4.Rashaan Evans Alabama

5.Leighton Vander Esch Boise State

CB

1.Denzel Ward Ohio State

2.Isiah Oliver Colorado 

3.Josh Jackson Iowa

4.Carlton Davis Auburn

5.Jaire Alexander Louisville

6.Mike Hughes UCF

7.Tavarus McFadden Florida State

8.J.C Jackson Maryland

9.Donte Jackson LSU

10.Kevin Tolliver LSU

Safety 

1.Minkah Fitzpatrick Alabama

2.Derwin James Florida State

3.Ronnie Harrison Alabama

4.Justin Reid Stanford

5.DeShon Elliott Texas

6.Terrell Edmunds Virginia Tech 

7.Kyzir White West Virginia 

8.Jordan Whitehead Pittsburgh 

9.Armani Watts Texas A&M

10.Sirian Neal Jacksonville State

Kicker

1.Emmit Carpenter Minnesota

2.Eddy Pineiro Florida

3.John Baron San Diego State

Punter

1.JK Scott Alabama

2.Michael Dickson Texas

3.Johnny Townsend Florida 

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It could, but is it realistically going to happen?  No.  So I'm not going to weigh too much on the unlikely possibility.  Indianapolis is primed to pick him at 3, and if they pass on him Tampa Bay at 7 is almost certainly not going to pass up on him.  And that's not the only two teams that will take him, those are just the two obvious teams who would take him before the Packers would be in a range to move up.

I’d be ok with going up to 6. Don’t think we would be breaking the bank to do so. We will have an extra 3 and two 5’s to work with. Only for Chubb though. 

1 minute ago, MantyWrestler said:

I’d be ok with going up to 6. Don’t think we would be breaking the bank to do so. We will have an extra 3 and two 5’s to work with. Only for Chubb though. 

I mean, depends on what your idea of breaking the bank is.  A move up to 6 at the bare minimum takes our 2nd round pick from us, and probably need to kick in our 4th round pick as well.  So you're now down your 2nd and 4th round pick, and essentially have 2 third and 3 fifths to play around with.  That's not a ton of ammunition.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, depends on what your idea of breaking the bank is.  A move up to 6 at the bare minimum takes our 2nd round pick from us, and probably need to kick in our 4th round pick as well.  So you're now down your 2nd and 4th round pick, and essentially have 2 third and 3 fifths to play around with.  That's not a ton of ammunition.

We think our 3rd and 5ths ccould get us back up to in the 5th so I could live with that if I were to get Chubb. 

Archived