2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Depending on what the board shakes out to be, that's probably my "ideal" scenario.  We're not going to be in a range where it's worth making a move up, and the pool gets diluted quite a bit after the top 6 or so picks.  We're in a prime trading spot with Arizona picking right after us.  Right now, I've got four QBs going before our pick, which would leave Arizona as the "next" team up to select a QB.  A team like Buffalo who has an extra 1st round pick this year could package their highest 1st along with their 2nd round pick to move ahead of Arizona to select Lamar Jackson if they desired.

May I pick your brain one more time? What do you think about taking Nelson at #14, and then using our #2 and some of our comp picks to trade back up into the lower part of round 1 and grabbing Landry or Key? We would be set at right guard for 10 years and still have one of the Edges in the group below Chubb. How far do you think Landry or Key will slip? Is there a potential trading partner there? Cheers! 

1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

I'm not a Breeland fan at all.. I think he would fit in well with the last few years of Packers secondaries...

And Melvin isn't going to get $8m based on 1 year of work. I could see someone signing him for 2 years, $4m a year. 

Breeland is one of the top rated man scheme CBs in the NFL by PFF the last few years, not sure where he doesn't fit? He's a bad off zone corner, so is King. Breeland and King have very similar skillsets.

33 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Breeland is one of the top rated man scheme CBs in the NFL by PFF the last few years, not sure where he doesn't fit? He's a bad off zone corner, so is King. Breeland and King have very similar skillsets.

Every time I watch Breeland he is getting torched. I'll have to go back and look

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

CB_2017-WK4-SNAPS-PER-REC.jpg

This was about halfway through the year. He's a good press M2M guy. If we plan to play more zone, Fuller is the better guy to target.

Basically this just tells me we should have signed Mo Claiborne when no one wanted him last year...?

16 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

May I pick your brain one more time? What do you think about taking Nelson at #14, and then using our #2 and some of our comp picks to trade back up into the lower part of round 1 and grabbing Landry or Key? We would be set at right guard for 10 years and still have one of the Edges in the group below Chubb. How far do you think Landry or Key will slip? Is there a potential trading partner there? Cheers! 

Ew. Unless it's a generational talent, I can't get behind a G that high. Nelson is a nice prospect but he isn't that. 

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Nelson will be long gone by 14, so yer safe spilltray....

Spending the 3rd round comp or mid 4th on another OT -> OG conversion makes sense.

I'm looking forward to Cadmus posting his list of Packer-type OL after the combine....:)

Isiah Wynn to start I think

On 2/12/2018 at 6:22 PM, packfanfb said:

I just don't see how you can possibly pay Cobb nearly $13 million this year. He's worth half that. I get extending Nelson and keeping Bulaga at $7 million but you have to take Cobbs money and give to a defensive player IMO.

I'd take a Butler/Fuller + Ridley/Kirk over a Cobb + Ward/Jackson.

The problem for me is that you're going to see Cobb continue to have a market.  Maybe not at the $13M rate he's currently getting, but I'd venture a guess to say he'd get $7M on the open market.  Is it ideal to pay him $13M/year?  No, but it's more reasonable to pay Nelson and Cobb $20M as opposed to $25M, that's an extra $5M to spend elsewhere.

And it's not that you need that money or that you'll have a player worth that $7M you're saving while creating another hole.  Moving on from Nelson or Cobb means that a rookie WR slides into that #3 spot.  I think Rodgers would prefer that to be Cobb.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:41 PM, packfanfb said:

Personally TE is one position where I would not spend FA money. We barely utilized Bennett through 5 games, its almost like RBs...Rodgers doesnt utilize them in the passing game and he doesnt really use the middle of the field much with TEs. Unless the philosophy changes, I don't see the payoff in a Graham type signing. I'd rather just draft a TE in the 2nd or 3rd and roll with the group we have. We need an outside WR more IMO so we can slide Jordy inside.

After watching what Jermichael Finley and Jared Cook have done with our offense, I think the impact a TE can have on our offense can't be understated.  And I think you're ignoring the natural transition process.  I mean, do you remember the difference between the first half of the season with Jared Cook and the 2nd half?  It was nearly night and day.  And we saw the impact that a strong TE adds to our offense.  Saying Rodgers doesn't utilize him in the passing game is factually false.  In all 3 seasons that Finley played in 10+ games, he had at least 50+ receptions.  They may not be a #1 target, but they open up our offense.

You talk about rolling with what we have at TE with a rookie.  I challenge you to find a rookie in the last decade whose been a game-changer as a rookie.  It's a position that you usually don't see big production until Year 2.

On 2/13/2018 at 9:41 AM, Packerraymond said:

I look at the TE market and there is obviously Graham, but I'm on the Burton train as well. Think he can be a top 12 TE in the league and obviously will never get the chance in Philly with Ertz. I'd throw 3/18 at Burton and see what happens. The obviously if Graham has huge interest. He should be the #1 target we're pursuing this offseason. Extend Matthews/Jordy, cut Cobb, use Cobb's money on Graham and the extension money on a cheap slot (like John Brown from ARI) or put Jordy in the slot and go after a vet WR for the boundary.

It's Jimmy Graham, and that's about it.  Don't get me wrong, I like Trey Burton but he's an H-Back type and not really going to offer much in terms of blocking.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:52 AM, packfanfb said:

You make a move on Graham and you probably lose the ability to sign a top CB. I think the latter is more important and necessary if we want a SB trip. If we had $70 mil to spend I'd be all for getting both. We just don't and have to prioritize. The Burton idea at least allows us to address the CB position as well assuming Burton takes a mid range deal.

Not necessarily.  It gets more convoluted, but it's possible to sign Jimmy Graham and still pay top dollar for a CB.  That being said, I seriously doubt we're paying top dollar for a CB.

On 2/13/2018 at 3:03 PM, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'd be rather upset if the Packers took Nelson at 14.  The board would have to be absolutely obliterated, and even then I'd be disappointed they couldn't find a trade down partner.  Let me go about this way, if you're making that move back up into the 1st round, you're probably looking at a deal similar to what the Packers gave up to get Clay Matthews (2nd, two 3rds for 1st and 5th).  Are you willing to walk away from the 2018 NFL Draft with essentially only Quenton Nelson and Harold Landry/Arden Key?  Personally, I'm not a fan of that.  We didn't address the CB position and we still have major question marks at WR and TE on the offensive side of the ball.  To me, there's no real value to drafting a guard at 14.  I'd rather just roll with McCray/Evans, and develop someone in the mid-rounds.  Better value that way.

Too early to know about trade partners, but historically teams are willing to move down if the price is right.  I'd look at teams who are missing 2nd or 3rd round picks, so that means teams like New Orleans, Philadelphia, or Seattle as teams who'd be willing to make moves back.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Archived