2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Nelson will be long gone by 14, so yer safe spilltray....

Spending the 3rd round comp or mid 4th on another OT -> OG conversion makes sense.

I'm looking forward to Cadmus posting his list of Packer-type OL after the combine....:)

Do we know how much sway TT has in the room still? Gute is calling the shots, and TT is involved.  The Packers got some pretty good OL finds under TT.  Will we still have the Ron Wolf/TT CB height rule? 

We don't really have any tendencies for drafting under the new regime.  We can assume that it will be similar, but until we get a couple of drafts in, we may not know.

5 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

The more I watch, the more convinced I am that Billy Price is a better fit for our line than Nelson is. If he makes it to our second round pick, he’s a tremendous option. 

In terms of value?  Absolutely.   But I wouldn't take him in the 2nd round.  If he fell into that 3rd round, that's where my interest in him begins.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be rather upset if the Packers took Nelson at 14.  The board would have to be absolutely obliterated, and even then I'd be disappointed they couldn't find a trade down partner.  Let me go about this way, if you're making that move back up into the 1st round, you're probably looking at a deal similar to what the Packers gave up to get Clay Matthews (2nd, two 3rds for 1st and 5th).  Are you willing to walk away from the 2018 NFL Draft with essentially only Quenton Nelson and Harold Landry/Arden Key?  Personally, I'm not a fan of that.  We didn't address the CB position and we still have major question marks at WR and TE on the offensive side of the ball.  To me, there's no real value to drafting a guard at 14.  I'd rather just roll with McCray/Evans, and develop someone in the mid-rounds.  Better value that way.

Too early to know about trade partners, but historically teams are willing to move down if the price is right.  I'd look at teams who are missing 2nd or 3rd round picks, so that means teams like New Orleans, Philadelphia, or Seattle as teams who'd be willing to make moves back.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions.

I am thinking the board just might be obliterated, pretty much. Let's assume that a trade down wouldn't be an option if the board is depleted and a trade up would be too expensive. My thinking is based on two other things: (1) pass rusher is the primary need, and (2) in the likelihood that Chubb is long gone, who will be the BPA at #14 to take maximum advantage of our good draft position? The Packers don't get to draft this high very often. If Chubb is not available, I would like to see the Packers make the biggest splash by taking the BPA, if there is someone who is head and shoulders above everyone left, and then try to position the next pick to get one of the second tier (after Chubb) of the Edges, or use another avenue (FA, trade). I'm not a mock drafter (but I very much like reading them!) so I'm asking our forum who might be that stand out BPA at #14 that would be good enough to pass on a lower graded Edge? CWood, any ideas? I thought maybe Nelson, but I know interior OL isn't a value position. And HZ has spent countless words lobbying against a WR, so that leaves CB, S, ILB, DL, QB, TE, and RB. Who might grade out a lot higher than Landry, or Key, or Davenport and still be available at #14? And then what would be a reasonable strategy to somehow acquire that pass rush? 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I am thinking the board just might be obliterated, pretty much. Let's assume that a trade down wouldn't be an option if the board is depleted and a trade up would be too expensive. My thinking is based on two other things: (1) pass rusher is the primary need, and (2) in the likelihood that Chubb is long gone, who will be the BPA at #14 to take maximum advantage of our good draft position? The Packers don't get to draft this high very often. If Chubb is not available, I would like to see the Packers make the biggest splash by taking the BPA, if there is someone who is head and shoulders above everyone left, and then try to position the next pick to get one of the second tier (after Chubb) of the Edges, or use another avenue (FA, trade). I'm not a mock drafter (but I very much like reading them!) so I'm asking our forum who might be that stand out BPA at #14 that would be good enough to pass on a lower graded Edge? CWood, any ideas? I thought maybe Nelson, but I know interior OL isn't a value position. And HZ has spent countless words lobbying against a WR, so that leaves CB, S, ILB, DL, QB, TE, and RB. Who might grade out a lot higher than Landry, or Key, or Davenport and still be available at #14? And then what would be a reasonable strategy to somehow acquire that pass rush? 

Derwin James is the name that pops to my head instantly. Probably the guy I've seen highest on bigboards and lowest in mocks. 

Just now, wgbeethree said:

Derwin James is the name that pops to my head instantly. Probably the guy I've seen highest on bigboards and lowest in mocks. 

I think the hype is too strong with him.  Never go with a player who has this much hype.  Joey Bosa had almost no hype, he's the best.  Same with JJ Watt.  Pretty sure Anthony Barr got crazy amounts of hype leading up to the draft.  Trying to think of more, but every time a player gets this much hype due to physical ability and size and such, they're always a bust.

Trust me, I'm the best patterns and trends scout alive. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I agree with the BPA at #14 if your not going to trade down or reach.  Mike McGlinchey T Notre Dame, Derwin James S Florida, Vita Vea DL Washington, Calvin Ridley WR Alabama and even Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma.  If he's there, do you take him with the thoughts of Rodgers replacement in 4 years?

18 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think the hype is too strong with him.  Never go with a player who has this much hype.  Joey Bosa had almost no hype, he's the best.  Same with JJ Watt.  Pretty sure Anthony Barr got crazy amounts of hype leading up to the draft.  Trying to think of more, but every time a player gets this much hype due to physical ability and size and such, they're always a bust.

What on earth am I reading here? Haha

Call me crazy, but these players just scream Green Bay Packers to me. Roquan Smith LB  Georgia, Unchenna Nwosa  Edge USC, Braxton Berrios WR  Miami, Equanimous St. Brown WR  Notre Dame, Hayden Hurst TE  S. Carolina, Quenton Nelson G  Notre Dame, Billy Price C/G  Ohio St., Justin Reid S  Stanford, Harrison Phillips DL  Stanford, Frank Ragnow C  Arkansas, Mason Cole C/G  Michigan, Austin Corbett OL  Nevada and Logan Woodside QB  Toledo.

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

You pretty much have two choices: either take a talented, but flawed player or draft a player at a less valuable position.  I suppose there's an argument for either one.  And I've mentioned my desire to pass on a player who plays a less valuable position.  It's not a deal breaker, but I'm not sure there's going to be a clear tier grade lean there.  If you're passing on an EDGE here, you're probably looking at one of the ILBs, CBs, or Derwin James here.  You're not drafting a RB or WR there, and TE value doesn't kick in.  And I doubt we draft yet another DL.

53 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yes and no.  He came into the season overhyped, because most thought he was going to be Sean Taylor.  Needless to say, he's not Sean Taylor.  But then again, most players aren't.  I've warmed up a bit too him.  He's not an elite safety, but he's a damn good one.  And Joey Bosa had a TON of hype, and rightfully so.  As for Watt, people just felt that the numbers he showed at the Combine didn't translate to the football field.

52 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I agree with the BPA at #14 if your not going to trade down or reach.  Mike McGlinchey T Notre Dame, Derwin James S Florida, Vita Vea DL Washington, Calvin Ridley WR Alabama and even Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma.  If he's there, do you take him with the thoughts of Rodgers replacement in 4 years?

We're not going to be in a position to draft Baker Mayfield, so you might as well put that suggestion to the side.  Mike McGlinchey struggles with athletic pass rushers.  He's a pure RT prospect for me, very much like Riley Reiff coming out of Iowa.  I'd pass and just roll with Bryan Bulaga and Jason Spriggs.  I don't want to touch too much on Derwin James, but I'm intrigued.  I've mentioned that Vea is bad value at best, and we're not taking a WR this early.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And Joey Bosa had a TON of hype, and rightfully so.

No, with Bosa it was more, "He's really good," and nobody really questioned it.  There was no, "He's going to redefine the position, he can literally pick up and throw tackles into the end zone."  Any time I read about how a player can redefine the position or play anywhere or do anything, I get skeptical of that player.  Hasaan Reddick was another one like that.  It's the same on offense.  McCaffrey and Bush both shot up the hype trains.  McCaffrey wasn't bad, but I think we just saw his ceiling.  Then  you had Lattimore, who wasn't really hyped all that much, it was just another case of, "This guy is the best corner in the draft."  Nobody disputed it. 

I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't be extremely excited if we drafted James.  I wouldn't be remotely upset.  At all. 

Has anyone started scouting the DB's in this draft class? I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on Kameron Kelly out of San Diego State from others if you've turned the tape on. I'm quite intrigued by him.

Also, really hate that latest NFL Mock, I don't have a Day 1 Grade on Hughes, he's a Day 2 prospect imo.

Archived