2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We're not going to be in a position to draft Baker Mayfield, so you might as well put that suggestion to the side.  Mike McGlinchey struggles with athletic pass rushers.  He's a pure RT prospect for me, very much like Riley Reiff coming out of Iowa.  I'd pass and just roll with Bryan Bulaga and Jason Spriggs.  I don't want to touch too much on Derwin James, but I'm intrigued.  I've mentioned that Vea is bad value at best, and we're not taking a WR this early.

So, you think they will just reach for the top Edge Rusher on the board, no matter how much of a reach?  It's so hard to tell who will be there at #14, I guess that's what makes this fun.

Everyone is talking like the draft is next week here. Kevin King was some tall guy you could get in the 3rd round on 2/15/17, fast forward 3 weeks and he's a 4.4 CB who's 6'3 and had the best agility numbers of the DBs. Now you're talking about a top 30 guy.

Right now Landry is a guy people are luke warm on, a month from now if he's a 4.55 guy with a 6.9 3 cone and a 39 inch vert people will be begging Gute to take him.

It's worth bringing up who's film you like and don't right now because that's not going to change, but in today's NFL the athletic numbers portion of it is a bigger part then ever. The board will shift big time, guys you like will test poorly and have a tougher time being viewed as worth our pick, some guys in that 2nd round tier will blow it up and become 1st round guys.

Just now, jleisher said:

I will resume that is a no from you?  

Aaron Rodgers is not done in 4 years.  He's 34 in the year 2018, not 1990.  The NFL evolves.  Thirty years from now, quarterbacks will be playing until they're 50.  Rodgers is good for 5 years minimum.  Drafting Mayfield is an idiotic move unless you plan on trading Rodgers. 

3 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I will resume that is a no from you?  

Why on earth would you draft someone who plays a position that you have a guy under contract for 2 more years that you're trying to extend for another 4?

Should we look to add Mike Daniels and Blake Martinez's replacements this year? I imagine they'll be gone in 6 years.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Everyone is talking like the draft is next week here. Kevin King was some tall guy you could get in the 3rd round on 2/15/17, fast forward 3 weeks and he's a 4.4 CB who's 6'3 and had the best agility numbers of the DBs. Now you're talking about a top 30 guy.

Right now Landry is a guy people are luke warm on, a month from now if he's a 4.55 guy with a 6.9 3 cone and a 39 inch vert people will be begging Gute to take him.

It's worth bringing up who's film you like and don't right now because that's not going to change, but in today's NFL the athletic numbers portion of it is a bigger part then ever. The board will shift big time, guys you like will test poorly and have a tougher time being viewed as worth our pick, some guys in that 2nd round tier will blow it up and become 1st round guys.

Honestly I was itching to do an in depth mock offseason this weekend, but you're right. I'll wait until after the combine. Too much work

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

Honestly I was itching to do an in depth mock offseason this weekend, but you're right. I'll wait until after the combine. Too much work

I agree.   All the mocks now are just throwing names out.  After the combine, things start to take shape and there becomes a little more consistency in the rankings.  

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on how you view things), the combine numbers for some positions do matter a good deal.   Getting accurate H/W and other testing numbers helps (me at least) a good amount.

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Aaron Rodgers is not done in 4 years.  He's 34 in the year 2018, not 1990.  The NFL evolves.  Thirty years from now, quarterbacks will be playing until they're 50.  Rodgers is good for 5 years minimum.  Drafting Mayfield is an idiotic move unless you plan on trading Rodgers. 

Only if they go to flag football. I'm 66. Believe me.

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Only if they go to flag football. I'm 66. Believe me.

Believe you because you're old?  I'll choose to believe that more rules will be implemented to protect quarterbacks, that quarterbacks will take better care of their bodies, that healthcare and fitness and nutrition will continue to evolve and that quarterbacks will continue to play later into their careers than ever before.  Don't take my word for it, take Aaron's word for it when he said he feels capable of playing 8 more years.  Take Brady's word for it when he's 40.  Take Drew's word for it at 39.  When was the last time the three best quarterbacks in the league were 34, 39 and 40? 

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

No. Believe me because I have an old body that I worked VERY hard to keep in shape, but time is merciless. Muscles get weaker. Cartilage wears away. I'm just speaking from experience living with an older body. 50 is a reach to play NFL football. 

Blanda played at 48 in the year 1976.  If Blanda could do it in 1976 when players literally pile drove quarterbacks into the ground, a player isn't far off from playing at 50 when forgetting to tell a QB God bless you after they sneeze draws a 47 yard penalty these days. 

I'm sure you're in great shape, but  assume you didn't have millions of dollars and NFL teams invested in your future.  Aaron Rodgers could literally afford trained spider monkey massages. 

It's a moot point anyway because as Ray said, we have Rodgers signed for 2 more years, he's good for at least 4 more years, and Mayfield wouldn't get on the field.  Why use a draft pick on a player that won't get onto the field unless you're literally in the worst case scenario? 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Blanda played at 48 in the year 1976.  If Blanda could do it in 1976 when players literally pile drove quarterbacks into the ground, a player isn't far off from playing at 50 when forgetting to tell a QB God bless you after they sneeze draws a 47 yard penalty these days. 

I'm sure you're in great shape, but  assume you didn't have millions of dollars and NFL teams invested in your future.  Aaron Rodgers could literally afford trained spider monkey massages. 

It's a moot point anyway because as Ray said, we have Rodgers signed for 2 more years, he's good for at least 4 more years, and Mayfield wouldn't get on the field.  Why use a draft pick on a player that won't get onto the field unless you're literally in the worst case scenario? 

QBs aren't playing until 50.

QB's used to deteriorate at 33-36, the good ones can play until 40 now, but beyond that unless we start adding bionic limbs, they won't be anywhere near as good as a 20 something guy.

Tom Brady plays in an offense built around the QB he is. Even that will start to go away rapidly, he's not any different than Favre or Manning.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Why on earth would you draft someone who plays a position that you have a guy under contract for 2 more years that you're trying to extend for another 4?

Should we look to add Mike Daniels and Blake Martinez's replacements this year? I imagine they'll be gone in 6 years.

Why would they have drafted Rodgers when they had Favre?   He was the best player at that spot.   And the answer to your other question is YES!  I would anyone that makes the team better, whether it's Daniels, Adams, Martinez or Rodgers replacement.  Mayfield I think would offer more then Hundley has or will.  

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

What's idiotic to some is not to others.  You have no guaranties that Rodgers is going to play 2, 3, 4 or 6 years.  You have no guaranties on any players career.  What's idiotic is how you seem to think you have all the correct answers for everything.  Unless you have some magical powers to see into the future I take your input with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Believe you because you're old?  I'll choose to believe that more rules will be implemented to protect quarterbacks, that quarterbacks will take better care of their bodies, that healthcare and fitness and nutrition will continue to evolve and that quarterbacks will continue to play later into their careers than ever before.  Don't take my word for it, take Aaron's word for it when he said he feels capable of playing 8 more years.  Take Brady's word for it when he's 40.  Take Drew's word for it at 39.  When was the last time the three best quarterbacks in the league were 34, 39 and 40? 

This is funny!  Yeah, he could do all this listed above, it's possible.  It's also possible that a freak accident happens at the Indy 500 and he gets hurt or worse.  We have NO guaranties on life.

Archived