2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be leery about making that jump in conclusion.  I've stated multiple times that this offseason has been the perfect storm in terms of FA signings.  Look at the list of guys we've signed, the only ones who count towards the compensatory pick selections are Martellus Bennett and Jahri Evans.  And given the low AAV that Evans get, his cancellation doesn't affect the Packers outside of cancelling out Julius Peppers, whom the Packers weren't going to receive a compensatory pick for.  And then you look into the number of years the players got on their contract, again outside of Martellus Bennett and Lance Kendricks we're talking about 1 year deals.

If protecting Aaron Rodgers at all cost was that important, we would have seen more than 1 OL taken and probably before the 6th round in the last draft.  I don't know why there'd be some sort of philosophical change from the end of the draft and now.

This draft was awful on the OL. It was stacked full of RBs and DBs, two of our biggest needs, it was clear to see the direction they went.

Every year there are bunches of guys cut that don't hurt the comp formula, and we passed. I think this year was clearly a step in a new direction. Stemming from Rodgers challenging everyone to be all in, from Mac questioning the defensive talent and calling Dom an excellent coach, there was clear evidence to me of the realization of the 5 year window we have.

Why do people keep fighting the fact that this offseason has been very different from past offseasons?  The Packers have been uncharacteristically deliberate in hitting the free agent market.  They have acted surprisingly swiftly to acquire guys like Brooks, Odom, and perhaps Dial just in the past few days.  Sure, maybe our brass has not made a lot of high dollar signings, but it's a definite change from the days of trusting the draft picks and practice squad to step up and fill holes.  There's more urgency this year than in past years .. not sure it's even debatable.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

This draft was awful on the OL. It was stacked full of RBs and DBs, two of our biggest needs, it was clear to see the direction they went.

Every year there are bunches of guys cut that don't hurt the comp formula, and we passed. I think this year was clearly a step in a new direction. Stemming from Rodgers challenging everyone to be all in, from Mac questioning the defensive talent and calling Dom an excellent coach, there was clear evidence to me of the realization of the 5 year window we have.

Awful is probably overstating it.  It had plenty of decent OL, it just lacked the star power at the top (no premier LT prospect) but it was decent in terms of depth.

As for a different direction, you're probably being a tad extreme by calling it a 5 year window.  We're literally seeing Drew Brees and Tom Brady play at an extremely high level in their late 30s, early 40s that barring an injury (like Peyton Manning) there's little doubt that Aaron will continue to play well even as he ages.  He might not be at the elite level he is right now, but I don't think the window shortens anywhere significantly in the near future.

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Protecting an aging QB.  Like when we let Rivera and Wahle go and replaced them in the starting lineup with Will Whitticker and Adrian Klemm when Hall of Fame QB Brett Favre was, what, 36? 

That team was about as talented as this year's Bengals/Chargers. Are you comparing our current roster to that talent level?

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Why do people keep fighting the fact that this offseason has been very different from past offseasons?  The Packers have been uncharacteristically deliberate in hitting the free agent market.  They have acted surprisingly swiftly to acquire guys like Brooks, Odom, and perhaps Dial just in the past few days.  Sure, maybe our brass has not made a lot of high dollar signings, but it's a definite change from the days of trusting the draft picks and practice squad to step up and fill holes.  There's more urgency this year than in past years .. not sure it's even debatable.

Because everything has to be taken into context, especially since we don't have a large enough sample size to compare this to.  This is the first offseason the Packers have been heavily involved in any form of FA since the 2006 offseason when they signed Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett.  Acquiring guys who cost little more than cap space and practice reps isn't enough for me to overlook multiple years of Ted Thompson preferring to improve from within.  Does that mean I think he's going to revert back to his old ways next offseason?  Honestly, I don't know.  I just think it's premature to claim there is a philosophical change in the FO.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Awful is probably overstating it.  It had plenty of decent OL, it just lacked the star power at the top (no premier LT prospect) but it was decent in terms of depth.

As for a different direction, you're probably being a tad extreme by calling it a 5 year window.  We're literally seeing Drew Brees and Tom Brady play at an extremely high level in their late 30s, early 40s that barring an injury (like Peyton Manning) there's little doubt that Aaron will continue to play well even as he ages.  He might not be at the elite level he is right now, but I don't think the window shortens anywhere significantly in the near future.

Yes but Aaron is very different from Brees/Brady. Read that article on him, football isnt the be all, end all to his life. He wants to be a business man, not be involved in football after he's done playing.

Say he gets another concussion in a year, that's what 3/4 for him? Does he even cone back? You can't take for granted the time we have left with him. Not a single year of it.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You're speaking of physical ability with regards to Rodgers, no argument there. The bigger "threat" to him playing into his 40's is other interests outside of football and the desire to be able to actually walk when he walks away from the game. After he notches a couple more rings, the future will look different to him

Just now, Packerraymond said:

That team was about as talented as this year's Bengals/Chargers. Are you comparing our current roster to that talent level?

How talented was that team at QB?  Because we took a QB in the first round.  What I'm saying, as I've been saying, is that it's abundantly clear we value certain positions over others, and IOL is of a very low value, as proven over 13 years.  You're unwilling to see that, and that's your right. 

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

You're speaking of physical ability with regards to Rodgers, no argument there. The bigger "threat" to him playing into his 40's is other interests outside of football and the desire to be able to actually walk when he walks away from the game. After he notches a couple more rings, the future will look different to him

At that point, it's purely speculation.  I'd imagine that he's given a pretty clear idea to TT and the rest of the FO of his vision moving forward.

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

How talented was that team at QB?  Because we took a QB in the first round.  What I'm saying, as I've been saying, is that it's abundantly clear we value certain positions over others, and IOL is of a very low value, as proven over 13 years.  You're unwilling to see that, and that's your right. 

What Im saying is there are two stages to any top flight organizations FO. Roster building, and "going for it" and after what Ive seen this offseason, I'm not ruling anything out as I think we may have switched philosophies.

Yes but Aaron is very different from Brees/Brady. Read that article on him, football isnt the be all, end all to his life. He wants to be a business man, not be involved in football after he's done playing.

I could point to Aaron saying he's modeling his lifestyle off of Brady's and seeing Brady as his longevity idol, the fact that he just said he rediscovered his love of football, and that when asked if he has another 8 years left he said simply, "Yes," all this year alone. 

What Im saying is there are two stages to any top flight organizations FO. Roster building, and "going for it" and after what Ive seen this offseason, I'm not ruling anything out as I think we may have switched philosophies.

And you don't see how that changed philosophy makes it even less likely we go IOL?  With such a low value there and such a high amount of veteran interior linemen (like, I don't know, Jahri Evans), you don't think it's more likely we'd continue to think not very highly of that group high in the draft? 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

And you don't see how that changed philosophy makes it even less likely we go IOL?  With such a low value there and such a high amount of veteran interior linemen (like, I don't know, Jahri Evans), you don't think it's more likely we'd continue to think not very highly of that group high in the draft? 

Im saying the days of Marshall Newhouse, Don Barclay hell even Lane Taylor experiments are probably done. If they'll pony up for a short term vet every year I guess that's the same thing as wanting a higher round guy. They aren't going to risk it anymore on the OL IMO. 

Archived