2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Im saying the days of Marshall Newhouse, Don Barclay hell even Lane Taylor experiments are probably done. If they'll pony up for a short term vet every year I guess that's the same thing as wanting a higher round guy. They aren't going to risk it anymore on the OL IMO. 

I doubt it honestly.  Maybe once Rodgers is 37, but not for a good 2-3 years.  We're not a running team, and as long as Bakhtiari and Bulaga are healthy, guard is still a really less valuable position group to us. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Im saying the days of Marshall Newhouse, Don Barclay hell even Lane Taylor experiments are probably done. If they'll pony up for a short term vet every year I guess that's the same thing as wanting a higher round guy. They aren't going to risk it anymore on the OL IMO. 

I'd hate to go to a patchwork OL year-to-year. We've gotta be developing guys there....constantly.

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I doubt it honestly.  Maybe once Rodgers is 37, but not for a good 2-3 years.  We're not a running team, and as long as Bakhtiari and Bulaga are healthy, guard is still a really less valuable position group to us. 

Fastest way to the QB is still through the A gaps. With today's defenses, you need to be able to pass pro at all 5 spots. The IOL aren't run graders anymore. Hell Sitton was an all Pro and isnt anything more than average in the run game.

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

We've gotta be developing guys there....constantly.

Of course, but Packer Nation loaded their undies when Lane Taylor was given a new deal a 2 years ago. The bellowing over his 1.6 M deal was hilarious

And the howling about Spriggs, Amichia and others is at a fever pitch right now. Fans say they want development, but haven't the patience to let it play out or maybe lack the confidence in Campen to get er done.

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Of course, but Packer Nation loaded their undies when Lane Taylor was given a new deal a 2 years ago. The bellowing over his 1.6 M deal was hilarious

And the howling about Spriggs, Amichia and others is at a fever pitch right now. Fans say they want development, but haven't the patience to let it play out or maybe lack the confidence in Campen to get er done.

I'm on the fence with Campen, but I am totally patient with the process. I just don't see many guys really getting developed outside of Spriggs and now, I assume, Amichia.

Fastest way to the QB is still through the A gaps. With today's defenses, you need to be able to pass pro at all 5 spots. The IOL aren't run graders anymore. Hell Sitton was an all Pro and isnt anything more than average in the run game.

Not doubting you, just like to shy away from the argument because we both have good points whether or not you want to acknowledge it, but do you have any way to look up sacks Rodgers had that separate interior pass rush from exterior?  I feel like Rodgers gets sacked much more often from outside pressure. 

18 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Ha touche, I am guilty of this.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Even if you thought that Chad Clifton had several years of high play left, he was still drafted an OT at Boise State.  Need pushed him inside, but even if you want to credit him as an IOL that's two OL taken in the first three rounds since he's been here.  And both of those players were taken in the 2006 draft.  That's enough to give us a pretty good idea that it's not a huge positional value for Ted Thompson.

Yep you only suite up 7 right.  It is the only position group that has five on the field at all times when the offense is out and never rotates, making it through a season without injuries is crazy to think that will not happen.

Just now, PackyAttacky said:

Yep you only suite up 7 right.  It is the only position group that has five on the field at all times when the offense is out and never rotates, making it through a season without injuries is crazy to think that will not happen.

We're talking strictly about game day actives, then yes 7.  You have your five starting OL, a swing tackle, and a backup IOL.

54 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Does that mean I think he's going to revert back to his old ways next offseason?  Honestly, I don't know.  I just think it's premature to claim there is a philosophical change in the FO.

I hear ya, but it's obvious there has been a philosophical changed "this year".

42 minutes ago, Joe said:

So I think it's safe to say that our current draft needs are as follows:

1. EDGE/Pass-rush

2. OL

3. TE

4. ILB

5. RB

Young stud OLB pass rusher is #1 .. now that our roster is so stout that draft picks are getting cut and we are embracing free agency it might be time to make a bold move up in the draft to land a true standout.  OL can be had in the middle rounds.  I don't see TE and ILB as pressing needs any longer.  RB would be my #2 or #3 need.  I want to see how Monty handled the #1 role .. if he can't get it done over the long haul I'd sure like a see us land a true #1 back.

37 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Not doubting you, just like to shy away from the argument because we both have good points whether or not you want to acknowledge it, but do you have any way to look up sacks Rodgers had that separate interior pass rush from exterior?  I feel like Rodgers gets sacked much more often from outside pressure. 

Im sure this is true, but up until 12 months ago he's always had Lang and Sitton. I dont want to find out what the numbers could be with bad play from that spot.

Im sure this is true, but up until 12 months ago he's always had Lang and Sitton. I dont want to find out what the numbers could be with bad play from that spot.

But did we really drop off any visually noticeable amount between Sitton and Taylor?  It certainly didn't feel any different to me the amount of pressure Rodgers had.  Are we really going to drop off that much from Lang to Evans?  Are we really going to drop off that much from Evans to Patrick in his third year?  Hop into your time machine and look at Lane Taylor in his second year.  Now compare him to Lucas Patrick now.

You'll see two 6-3 guards separated by 11 pounds who were both undrafted. 

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

But did we really drop off any visually noticeable amount between Sitton and Taylor?  It certainly didn't feel any different to me the amount of pressure Rodgers had.  Are we really going to drop off that much from Lang to Evans?  Are we really going to drop off that much from Evans to Patrick in his third year?  Hop into your time machine and look at Lane Taylor in his second year.  Now compare him to Lucas Patrick now.

You'll see two 6-3 guards separated by 11 pounds who were both undrafted. 

Nope, and I hope that we don't see the same from Lang to Evans. However, I would say that we need to find a long-term solution at that Guard spot.

Archived