2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

2 minutes ago, PackyAttacky said:

So corner is a big need or is it still too early to give up on Randall and Rollins?

Too early, if they continue to struggle, we'll be finding out what Hawkins has too. House is a FA though. 

Good news is if they do bomb we'll have next to no money tied up in the 2015 class for extensions, meaning that money can patch some FA holes.

We could use some draft picks at WR, OL and TE this go around so hopefully someone other than Clark steps up from the last two classes on D.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Too early, if they continue to struggle, we'll be finding out what Hawkins has too. House is a FA though. 

Good news is if they do bomb we'll have next to no money tied up in the 2015 class for extensions, meaning that money can patch some FA holes.

We could use some draft picks at WR, OL and TE this go around so hopefully someone other than Clark steps up from the last two classes on D.

TE, really? WR and OL I see

Kind of hard to argue against a lot of positions being taken early.  OL, OLB, WR, CB.

I think Horizon is onto something...you need not take a WR in round 1.  I'm still not opposed to it, because GB usually drafts later, but I think the other positions are more important.

As far as WR goes...I think you gotta be prepared for the decline of Jordy and Cobb.  Cobb's game is not going to age well.  Adams becomes a must to re-sign.  Then you have to hope that one of Janis, Allison, Davis take a huge leap.  And honestly I don't see it happening with that bunch.  I'm more optimistic about Clark on the PS than I am any of those 3.  

33 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Didn't both Sitton and Lang start as rookies? Those two had that position locked up for so long that really isn;t a fair question.

Sitton started 2 games as a rookie, 16 in year 2.

Lang started 3 in rookie year, as a fill in OT, 0 games in year 2, 16 in year 3.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, spilltray said:

I think King, Clark, and Clinton-Dix were all pretty clearly the best picks on the board at the time. Randall seemed a bit of a surprise because everyone had him as S and if the Packers thought he's a CB that changes the value. Best player is always a little relative because there are probably multiple guys with similar grades at any given spot. They don't panic and reach for a need. They don't outright ignore where they need help but they don't do stupid things to try and fill a checklist either.

I strongly disagree with the "probably better or equal players" quip. I just don't see them passing on better players for these guys.

In Clinton-Dix case, sure S was a need, but it had been for a while and they went with guys like McMillain because they couldn't get value until Clinton-Dix fell their way. Sure maybe they skip on Clark if Raji hadn't retired but it's not like he was even under contract. That really could have gone either way. This year, I'd have taken King straight up in the first and am thrilled they picked up Beigel and still got him.

We dodged a bullet. If Seattle didn't trade down King  would be a Seahawk and we'd  be talking about Lamp and Biegal instead of King and Biegal. I can't see anyone else they would've taken there.

On 9/20/2017 at 4:52 PM, PackyAttacky said:

So corner is a big need or is it still too early to give up on Randall and Rollins?

I think it's too early, talk to me at the end of the season. I still have a lot of hope for Randall, not so much for Rollins. House is on a one year deal so he might be gone, really hoping King continues to build upon his Atlanta game and become a starter here soon. 

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Didn't both Sitton and Lang start as rookies? Those two had that position locked up for so long that really isn;t a fair question.

Yeah thought we sat tthem for a while. Not sure if you want your fourth rounders starting. Sure TT will have a plan maybe another year from Evans before the pick is ready.

20 minutes ago, St Vince said:

We dodged a bullet. If Seattle didn't trade down King  would be a Seahawk and we'd  be talking about Lamp and Biegal instead of King and Biegal. I can't see anyone else they would've taken there.

If King went off the board maybe they don't move down? Maybe they had King, Watt, Foster (doubt it but who knows) all in a similar tier so that's why they moved down. With King gone they might've just stayed at 30.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You can probably pencil in an OLB in round 1

You can probably pencil in a collegiate Tackle to NFL Guard in round 4

We said the same thing last year about the Packers taking an EDGE player early, and they traded down out of a spot where an EDGE player was taken AND then took one in the 4th round.  That being said, Ted hasn't exactly been unpredictable in terms of drafting.  You're probably looking at something like this...

Round 1 - Defensive Player (DL/EDGE/CB)
Round 2 - Skill Position (CB/WR/S)

With our first two picks.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

No.  I think they were hoping that Kofi Amichia was someone they could develop, but he was even more raw than anyone (myself included) imagined.  Last year's OL class was pretty bad in terms of drafting the physical toolsets that Ted looks for.  I think @Cadmus had a table or something that showed it, maybe he can post it again.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Honestly, I don't think Seattle was really into King as much as everyone thought they were.

Archived