2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:
2 hours ago, squire12 said:

If any of the EDGE players are there, it would be hard to take Edmunds over 1 of them....unless you feel that Edmunds offers enough Pass rush ability in 1-2 years time.  Since the EDGE pass rusher need is so high, all of Chubb, Landry, Davenport, Key would need to be gone by 14 (or there would need to be significant medical/character flags to have them off GB board).

Just not sure Edmunds has the pass rush that is needed to warrant being the pick at #14 for GB

Would you take Anthony Barr over Nick Perry?

For GB...no.

For MIN with the front 4 and pass rushers they play...probably.  

Spent the last 75 minutes watching Davenport. Saw the same guy each game. 

Top end initial punch. Has Nick Perry’s bull rush. Does know how the cut the corner when it’s open but wouldn’t say he has great bend. Good balance for his size. Doesn’t lumber when he runs but not isn’t sudden cutting laterally. Good at getting off the ball. Has some technique with hands but needs to develop another move or two. Shows signs of life there but nothing consistent. Should have plenty of strength to play the run and stays in his gap. Haven’t seen any ability to get to the flats or cover, not saying he can’t, but he certainly wasn’t asked to. Not a textbook tackler but uses strength and a fair amount of hussle to wrestle guys down and stay engaged in the play. Cardio was average. Good for his size closing speed. Questionable (actually pretty awful) competition. Not a guy to bat down a pass. Stunts have success.

Overall, I see why there are people who consider Davenport a 1st round pick. His greatest asset is the pop he brings on contact, which is certainly rare and capable of producing for him. His biggest question mark is the lack of coverage ability shown. His ceiling is high. His floor is moderately low. Best fit as a 43 DE. If he wants to be high on 34 Draft Boards he’ll need to test well. 

13 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Spent the last 75 minutes watching Davenport. Saw the same guy each game. 

Top end initial punch. Has Nick Perry’s bull rush. Does know how the cut the corner when it’s open but wouldn’t say he has great bend. Good balance for his size. Doesn’t lumber when he runs but not isn’t sudden cutting laterally. Good at getting off the ball. Has some technique with hands but needs to develop another move or two. Shows signs of life there but nothing consistent. Should have plenty of strength to play the run and stays in his gap. Haven’t seen any ability to get to the flats or cover, not saying he can’t, but he certainly wasn’t asked to. Not a textbook tackler but uses strength and a fair amount of hussle to wrestle guys down and stay engaged in the play. Cardio was average. Good for his size closing speed. Questionable (actually pretty awful) competition. Not a guy to bat down a pass. Stunts have success.

Overall, I see why there are people who consider Davenport a 1st round pick. His greatest asset is the pop he brings on contact, which is certainly rare and capable of producing for him. His biggest question mark is the lack of coverage ability shown. His ceiling is high. His floor is moderately low. Best fit as a 43 DE. If he wants to be high on 34 Draft Boards he’ll need to test well. 

Saw his North Texas game; you're being generous. He can't flip his hips to adjust. Horrible pursuit of the ball, very slow. Certainly a 4-3 guy, but he can't rely on his upper strength to eat around his severe issues in the leverage game. I honestly don't see why he's a 1st rounder. He has little to no explosion and is inconsistent in the run game. All he does is stand up, punch the guy in front of him while he's starting to move forward, but then once the OL gets his hands on him he's pretty much neutralized. He's Ra'Shede Hegaman minus the level of competition and highlights.

In short, noooooo thank you....

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

Saw his North Texas game; you're being generous. He can't flip his hips to adjust. Horrible pursuit of the ball, very slow. Certainly a 4-3 guy, but he can't rely on his upper strength to eat around his severe issues in the leverage game. I honestly don't see why he's a 1st rounder. He has little to no explosion and is inconsistent in the run game. All he does is stand up, punch the guy in front of him while he's starting to move forward, but then once the OL gets his hands on him he's pretty much neutralized. He's Ra'Shede Hegaman minus the level of competition and highlights.

In short, noooooo thank you....

I’ve watched a lot of edge rushers get drafted early with less ability to win with speed. You see a lot of guys just completely lose track of the QB. When he’s won he knows it. That’s eyes on the QB. 

He will win with that punch. Not many have that. The question is if he can use that to set up an inside move, develop a spin back inside, or beat better competition with his hands and his length. He does have good enough of a first step to threaten the edge. It’s just not 1st round bend for me.

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

YSpent the last 75 minutes watching Davenport. Saw the same guy each game. 

You watch the Baylor one? He pulled inside on a stunt and that poor guard wasn't reaaaady. I was going to find it for you but my 2 minute search ended in futility. I view him as a more athletic Tamba Hali, that's worthy of a first. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of him wherever he goes. 

I agree with your assessment, though I really could care less if he can cover well. It's not too hard to float out in a flat or take two steps back in a slant zone and put your hands up. He's a big dude, play him like a big dude ya know.

Your evaluation of Davenport simply comes down to the question: Do you think his power game is enough to make him a good to very good NFL pass rusher?

You're gonna get your first look into this at the allstar games. Let him play against some kids who have an anchor. 

You're going to get a chance to reevaluate at the combine. If the kid can jump, interest is going to skyrocket. If he can't, it's going to go away. 

48 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Your evaluation of Davenport simply comes down to the question: Do you think his power game is enough to make him a good to very good NFL pass rusher?

You're gonna get your first look into this at the allstar games. Let him play against some kids who have an anchor. 

You're going to get a chance to reevaluate at the combine. If the kid can jump, interest is going to skyrocket. If he can't, it's going to go away. 

I kept waiting for the payoff pitch. The moment where he fakes that power and gets an easy sack fumble like Julius Peppers.  I’ll have to watch Baylor like HighC said. 

2 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Watched Edmunds play Clemson and Landry play Clemson and all I’ve decided is I don’t like Clemson.

Also not expecting to see “hussles” on Landry’s report.

Is that because Clemson is too good?   Or disappointed in how many of Clemson's players returned to school?  Something else?

11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Is that because Clemson is too good?   Or disappointed in how many of Clemson's players returned to school?  Something else?

They don’t play a Pro Style Offense and they are so deep they realize their depth allows them to simply call plays away from a defenses best players.

They basically ran their entire offense around negating Landry. He had 8 tackles in a game newspapers later said was lackluster for him. I’m watching it like, yeah well he had as little an opportunity to make plays as possible. Kudos, Clemson.

14 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

They don’t play a Pro Style Offense and they are so deep they realize their depth allows them to simply call plays away from a defenses best players.

They basically ran their entire offense around negating Landry. He had 8 tackles in a game newspapers later said was lackluster for him. I’m watching it like, yeah well he had as little an opportunity to make plays as possible. Kudos, Clemson.

Gotcha.   Certainly highlights the difference between college and pro game.  Much easier to game plan away from a stud player in college vs NFL

Archived