2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

When Aaron Rodgers has moved on, not before. Only then does the mentality become play the young unproven guys and see if they can float and accwpt the consequences if they dont. We've been crossing our fingers hoping young guys pan out for years and our roster talent has deteriorated under TT because of it. Now is not the time to gamble. Furthermore, King and Randall wont be impacted one iota if GB signs a Fuller because you need 3-4 good CBs these days. All that signing a starter like Fuller for example will do is improve our chances to win the SB in 2018 and provide some depth so if he or King misses some games, the other guy is there as opposed to Rollins or Hawkins first off the bench.

And I'd make the argument that you're not living in a viable reality if you think that players on rookie contracts shouldn't play a legitimate role.  It's absolutely mind-boggling that you think that you can just put young players on the backbone.  I think it was you who suggested the Packers should sign TWO veteran CBs, yet you don't think it impacts King or Randall?  There's only a finite amount of snaps to go around.  Honestly, I'd love to see one of your mock drafts.  It'd be easier to show you how unrealistic your expectations are.

A name I haven't seen mentioned much here but have elsewhere is Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. Haven't watched a single second of him so I'm going entirely off what others have written. Sounds like a productive, high motor guy whose biggest limitation is size. In the weigh in he just came in at 6013 for height and 243lbs, which kinda fit that narrative – but the arm length is massive: 34 ½ which puts him in the top 10 at the senior bowl (for reference, Davenport was 34). Where are the draftniks, what are your thoughts?

He's a very productive college player. I don't know if it will translate against taller/quicker/stronger oline. He's not a Harrison type player, but that's how his game is structured. Power and quickness...hit fast and furious.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

And I'd make the argument that you're not living in a viable reality if you think that players on rookie contracts shouldn't play a legitimate role.  It's absolutely mind-boggling that you think that you can just put young players on the backbone.  I think it was you who suggested the Packers should sign TWO veteran CBs, yet you don't think it impacts King or Randall?  There's only a finite amount of snaps to go around.  Honestly, I'd love to see one of your mock drafts.  It'd be easier to show you how unrealistic your expectations are.

I do want 2 vet CBs. 1 starter and 1 backup, role player. Im tired of young, unproven CBs being depended on in this defense and watching the results. Use the draft to add youth and speed at the Edge position and on offense. Time to add smarts to our secondary. I want the guy who who knows pre-snap where the play is going, not some kid. I'll say it again, our top 6 CBs week 1 should be FA starter, King, Randall, FA backup, mid-round rookie, ST player.  If a guy like Rollins or Hawkins balls out in camp, maybe they push for a spot, but I doubt it happens. 

If you need further example, watch Philly. Added Darby (starter) and Robinson (backup) in offseason, plus another vet Graham as a backup safety. Not 3 UDFAs or draft picks...calculated veteran additions.

2 hours ago, Kenrik said:

Jon Ledyard -

Cappa is killing Marcus Davenport in team drills.

I'm a little disappointed when I read this. Alex Cappa is from division 2 Humboldt State. 

I also heard the scouts at the combine gushing about Cappa....  I don't care where the it comes from as long as he can play.

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

When Aaron Rodgers has moved on, not before. Only then does the mentality become play the young unproven guys and see if they can float and accwpt the consequences if they dont. We've been crossing our fingers hoping young guys pan out for years and our roster talent has deteriorated under TT because of it. Now is not the time to gamble. Furthermore, King and Randall wont be impacted one iota if GB signs a Fuller because you need 3-4 good CBs these days. All that signing a starter like Fuller for example will do is improve our chances to win the SB in 2018 and provide some depth so if he or King misses some games, the other guy is there as opposed to Rollins or Hawkins first off the bench.

I would like to add Fuller as a FA CB addition.  You have a contract structure in mind that would get it done?  Something that has a large bearing on being able to sign such a player.  

Per Walters - as always FWIW

One prospect whose stock is on the decline is Boston College defensive end Harold Landry. Multiple teams sources told me that Landry belongs on the second day of the draft. They said that his senior-year tape was not impressive. Landry had a big drop in his pass-rush production and had some ugly games in run defense. 

Sources say that Landry is smaller than his listed numbers of 6-foot-3, 250-pounds. They say he is an inch or two shorter and weighs in the 240s, which makes him more of a linebacker body type for the NFL. Teams that run a 4-3 defense have concerns about Landry holding up on the edge, as he is very undersized to be a base end. Multiple team sources see Landry as a second-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I do want 2 vet CBs. 1 starter and 1 backup, role player. Im tired of young, unproven CBs being depended on in this defense and watching the results. Use the draft to add youth and speed at the Edge position and on offense. Time to add smarts to our secondary. I want the guy who who knows pre-snap where the play is going, not some kid. I'll say it again, our top 6 CBs week 1 should be FA starter, King, Randall, FA backup, mid-round rookie, ST player.  If a guy like Rollins or Hawkins balls out in camp, maybe they push for a spot, but I doubt it happens. 

If you need further example, watch Philly. Added Darby (starter) and Robinson (backup) in offseason, plus another vet Graham as a backup safety. Not 3 UDFAs or draft picks...calculated veteran additions.

Let's start with your example.  Ronald Darby was the starting CB, but only played in 37% of the snaps available.  He only played in 8 games.  Patrick Robinson the guy they signed as a FA was SECOND in terms of snap % from their corners BEHIND Jalen Mills.  Rasul Douglas was their 3rd corner in terms of snaps % at shade under 41%.  That stands to reason that a healthy Darby would have most likely taken away snaps from Rasul Douglas.  So your comparison you made isn't valid, since the Eagles signed Patrick Robinson to be their nickel corner.  Not their dime corner like you want a veteran CB to be.  On a semi-related note, the Eagles were counting on a 3rd round pick, 99th overall (not a 1st or 2nd round pick) to be their dime corner.  That's a FAR cry from suggesting that either Kevin King or Damarious Randall as the dime corner in your proposed situation.

But back to the veteran corner talk, why would any veteran CB whose halfway decent agree to be the dime corner in Green Bay?  And I swear if you use injury or the Packers potential to win a Super Bowl as your logic I'm going to lose it.  There is absolutely ZERO reason to believe that a halfway decent CB is going to sign to be the 4th corner.  It's mind boggling.

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Per Walters - as always FWIW

One prospect whose stock is on the decline is Boston College defensive end Harold Landry. Multiple teams sources told me that Landry belongs on the second day of the draft. They said that his senior-year tape was not impressive. Landry had a big drop in his pass-rush production and had some ugly games in run defense. 

Sources say that Landry is smaller than his listed numbers of 6-foot-3, 250-pounds. They say he is an inch or two shorter and weighs in the 240s, which makes him more of a linebacker body type for the NFL. Teams that run a 4-3 defense have concerns about Landry holding up on the edge, as he is very undersized to be a base end. Multiple team sources see Landry as a second-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. 

Anyone who paid attention to Harold Landry knew he was playing with a bum ankle, which is why his production was down.

Archived