2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

34 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Well first of all, a rumor is a rumor. Obviously it's un-named sources. And we as Packer fans are way too early to make any conclusions. Gotta wait till after the combine and workouts before making any educated gueses

Oh yeah .. it's all speculation for sure, but I just get the sense that a lot of the edge prospects aren't really top 15 worthy.  We should be in a good spot at #14 to land a really good defensive player. I think at least 4 or 5 Qb's (Allen, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield) will go ahead of us .. at least 1 RB (Barkley), perhaps 2 or 3 Olineman (Brown, Nelson, McGlinchy), and more than likely 1 WR (Ridley).  There's 9 offensive players likely off the list right there, so we should be able to get a top 5 defensive player in this draft. 

29 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Well first of all, a rumor is a rumor. Obviously it's un-named sources. And we as Packer fans are way too early to make any conclusions. Gotta wait till after the combine and workouts before making any educated gueses

Not only that... but now is the time of miss information. Teams in the 20 range could see Landry as a top 15 prospect but are trying to muddy the waters to get him to fall to them.

He is one of the top edge guys in the draft he isn’t going to last long, he is a 1st rounder or early second when all is said and done I’m sure.

19 hours ago, Leader said:
Tom Pelissero -

Asking scouts who won the weigh-in this morning, I’ve heard this name more than once: UTSA DE Marcus Davenport. 6-5 7/8, 259.

Is he better suited for a 4-3 team as a DE? I got a feeling because he's so slim in the waist that he's only going to add to his frame. Also I couldn't help but notice he was taking snaps at the Senior Bowl practice and rushing from the inside as well yesterday. I'm assuming a coach or two requested it and most of the time they try and oblige by doing it in practice or in a game. Looked like it was still in his wheelhouse because he has the power and speed that allows him to come from anywhere. Hey I think it only adds value to him. In certain cases it would only allow another pass rusher on the field.  Initially you can see his power and how he likes to hit high and get the OL off balance by attacking the neck area and shifting the OLineman. He's definitely a exciting kid to watch. 

18 hours ago, Kenrik said:

Jon Ledyard -

Cappa is killing Marcus Davenport in team drills.

I'm a little disappointed when I read this. Alex Cappa is from division 2 Humboldt State. 

Not sure where you read this. Cappa actually struggled yesterday from what I heard as far as his footwork? I'd love to get some interesting reads of the Senior Bowl. I love the draft process almost as much as the season, honestly I do.  I seen glimpses of the practice and was impressed early on with Davenport. Yes Cappa has some power to his game as well.

13 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

No thanks. We have 12 picks, thats more then plenty. I see us doing the opposite, maybe combining those 3rds to get another 2nd.

Totally. I expect Gutey to make a splash and trade up at least once. 2nd round makes good sense depending on whose available.

5 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Totally. I expect Gutey to make a splash and trade up at least once. 2nd round makes good sense depending on whose available.

Although......bobbing back up into the first round will snag you a player with a larger rookie contract - it does offer the team the fifth year option that doesnt come with 2nd and lower round selections.

I've no clue what they'll do. I'm just hoping they sharpen their pencils and make the sharpest - most astute use of our draft capital to snag some difference makers. We need difference makers. Beasts! Animals (with Gazelle-like qualities!) and Harvard IQ's!  Theres gotta be some of them right? :)

24 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Not sure where you read this. Cappa actually struggled yesterday from what I heard as far as his footwork? I'd love to get some interesting reads of the Senior Bowl. I love the draft process almost as much as the season, honestly I do.  I seen glimpses of the practice and was impressed early on with Davenport. Yes Cappa has some power to his game as well.

Twitter retweet. There was a video along with it where Cappa pushes Davenport 4 yards off the los. It was early in practice and I read that Davenport finished practice strong.

13 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

No thanks. We have 12 picks, thats more then plenty. I see us doing the opposite, maybe combining those 3rds to get another 2nd.

Could not agree more.

The philosophy of trading back to accumulate additional, later picks is not sound one for a roster lacking high-end talent and with specific holes that need to be filled in order to compete for a Super Bowl in 2018.

This year, there is even a possibility that the Pack might deal a pick for a veteran just like NE has done for years.

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've no clue what they'll do. I'm just hoping they sharpen their pencils and make the sharpest - most astute use of our draft capital to snag some difference makers. We need difference makers. Beasts! Animals (with Gazelle-like qualities!) and Harvard IQ's!  Theres gotta be some of them right?

I think the phrase you are looking for is "***** kitty pass rusher"

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, I swear to Lombardi, if Gute trades down once in this draft and it isn't for a first round pick from a team like Cleveland or some other bottom dwelling, talentless team, I am starting the "Fire Gute" talk immediately.  Hell, if Gute even stays still in this draft and uses each of his 12 draft picks, I'm starting that club. 

Using 12 picks suggests that we don't currently have 41 players that should make our roster, and that's IF we don't sign any free agents.

We need to get an extra first, second, third or fourth round pick this year by trading up. 

Agreed. 12 picks means we're going to end up cutting half of them. Use them to trade up. We need impact players, not bottom of the roster, depth.

16 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Could not agree more.

The philosophy of trading back to accumulate additional, later picks is not sound one for a roster lacking high-end talent and with specific holes that need to be filled in order to compete for a Super Bowl in 2018.

This year, there is even a possibility that the Pack might deal a pick for a veteran just like NE has done for years.

I disagree. People are talking like if you're not in the top 15, then you're not getting pro-bowl caliber players. This depends on the board but I wouldn't mind trading back 7 spots and adding another 2nd and possibly a 3rd. I'll take quantity as long as its 3rd round or higher unless the value is there.  Now I agree with you on the late round picks. Trade our 4ths-7ths for vets or moving up. We need more quality depth at QB, WR, TE, IOL, OLB, CB, DL and adding another 2nd and 3rd would help and trading all those 5ths to move up will help as well.

Without Rodgers were a well below .500 team. We need more talent spread across the roster.

Trading #14 for two 1st round picks isn't BAD.  Number 14 doesn't mean we get a AllPro.  I think you get as many top three round picks as you can.  Use those comp picks and get up there.  The two guys picked at 21-22 will contribute more than one at 14 and they are all basically on the same plateau.  You could possibly end up with Key and Landry- which would be awesome.

8 minutes ago, Kenrik said:
23 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Could not agree more.

I disagree. People are talking like if you're not in the top 15, then you're not getting pro-bowl caliber players. This depends on the board but I wouldn't mind trading back 7 spots and adding another 2nd and possibly a 3rd. I'll take quantity as long as its 3rd round or higher unless the value is there.  Now I agree with you on the late round picks. Trade our 4ths-7ths for vets or moving up. We need more quality depth at QB, WR, TE, IOL, OLB, CB, DL and adding another 2nd and 3rd would help and trading all those 5ths to move up will help as well.

Without Rodgers were a well below .500 team. We need more talent spread across the roster.

I'm on the same page as you. I would rather trade up, but if Ward, Davenport, any player Pettine loves are off the board I wouldn't mind picking up another 2nd this year to move down a little bit. Depends on how much we supplement in FA. I am not in love with Davenport because I think he needs a lot of work. 

We need impact at #14

Players I would take at #14, one of these guys will be there for the taking

B. Chubb

Roquan Smith

Tremaine Edmunds

Derwin James

Guys I would avoid at #14

A. Key

H. Landry

M. Davenport

I wouldn't mind moving back if there's a situation like last year where a team further back decides to move way up for a QB that slides a bit.  

But if that type of deal doesn't manifest, I would be happy with Roquan, a CB, or an edge rusher.  

I know it probably wouldn't be popular, but I love Courtland Sutton and think he'd be a great pick to take over for Jordy in a year or so.

Archived