2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

4 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Trading #14 for two 1st round picks isn't BAD.  Number 14 doesn't mean we get a AllPro.  I think you get as many top three round picks as you can.  Use those comp picks and get up there.  The two guys picked at 21-22 will contribute more than one at 14 and they are all basically on the same plateau.  You could possibly end up with Key and Landry- which would be awesome.

The more I read on Key the more I am apprehensive of him. I have no idea why but he reminds me of Randy Gregory out of Nebraska.

4 hours ago, Kenrik said:

People are talking like if you're not in the top 15, then you're not getting pro-bowl caliber players

Well, it is generally true. In fact even in the 14-18 range, odds are low that a guy will make at least 1 pro bowl or all-pro (1st team). I was looking through everybody drafted in that range since 1998 and only about 33% of the players have made a pro bowl or all-pro. Odds at the bottom of the first round are probably even worse.

3 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Well, it is generally true. In fact even in the 14-18 range, odds are low that a guy will make at least 1 pro bowl or all-pro (1st team). I was looking through everybody drafted in that range since 1998 and only about 33% of the players have made a pro bowl or all-pro. Odds at the bottom of the first round are probably even worse.

This is true the farther back you go in the draft but you're also adding another player. 1 player at 15 versus 2 players at 22 and 50. 

The thing that is a little different this year with #14 is that there could be a significant run on QB's that don't belong in the top 10 and pushing players who do down the list. There will definitely be top 10 talent at #14. One of the primary complaints stated by Packer fans is that by drafting at the back end consistently does not allow for the drafting of impact players, I don't necessarily agree with that, but this year we have that opportunity and we should draft an impact player regardless of position. I would prefer defense, but if we get impact I don't really care what the positions is. 

5 minutes ago, Redt said:

A dream scenario for me would be to get R. Smith, T. Edmunds, or D. James at #14 and get WR J. Washington with #45 and bring in a veteran #1 CB through trade or FA

A dream scenario would be getting Chubb at 14 :)

43 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

This is true the farther back you go in the draft but you're also adding another player. 1 player at 15 versus 2 players at 22 and 50. 

I agree, but it depends on the deal. dropping from 15-22 would probably only get you 64th pick, unless you've fleeced the other team.  There are only so many snaps to go around for the players on your team and only so many roster spots. 

9 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I agree, but it depends on the deal. dropping from 15-22 would probably only get you 64th pick, unless you've fleeced the other team.  There are only so many snaps to go around for the players on your team and only so many roster spots. 

I don't think we would have a problem filling those spots with 2nd rounders.

8 hours ago, cooters22 said:

Not sure where you read this. Cappa actually struggled yesterday from what I heard as far as his footwork? I'd love to get some interesting reads of the Senior Bowl. I love the draft process almost as much as the season, honestly I do.  I seen glimpses of the practice and was impressed early on with Davenport. Yes Cappa has some power to his game as well.

Mayock and the NFL network guys were raving about both Capps and Davenport yestoso I doubt either one was taking it to the other one. Sounded like they both had a good day.

I underestimated how raw Davenport is, but man is he a lot like Danielle Hunter. I see him late off the ball at times, and I some false steps and most of the time, he doesn't use his hands. I think they are pretty easily developed/corrected by competent coaching. I don't think it will take as long to get him going as some make it seem. I knew there would be some work with Davenport, it's more than I initially thought, but I think it's being a bit exaggerated by some.

Also, why the hell do they keep giving him reps at 5tech? He's 6-6 260, he's an EDGE all the way. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Agreed. 12 picks means we're going to end up cutting half of them. Use them to trade up. We need impact players, not bottom of the roster, depth.

Ah... that's not how it works. We'll turn over about 1/4 - 1/3 of our roster as we do most years. I expect all 12 to be on a roster or PS next year. A trade up doesn't equal ending with a better player unless you have a time machine.

Plus, take a look at trade value charts. Most of those picks we own won't even move you up 1 spot in the first or second round. If anything you'd be better off trading it for a round earlier next year if you can pry that away from a desperate team.

15 minutes ago, blankman0021 said:

Ah... that's not how it works. We'll turn over about 1/4 - 1/3 of our roster as we do most years. I expect all 12 to be on a roster or PS next year. A trade up doesn't equal ending with a better player unless you have a time machine.

Plus, take a look at trade value charts. Most of those picks we own won't even move you up 1 spot in the first or second round. If anything you'd be better off trading it for a round earlier next year if you can pry that away from a desperate team.

Taking the top 53 from the current roster including those who finished the season on IR, which 12 would you cut to make room for the 12 draft choices? 

Archived