2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nelson's not surrounded by a crap ton of talent at ND? McGlinchey is every bit the college player that Cyrus Kouandjio was. Mustipher isn't a stud like Barret Jones, but he'll probably get drafted next year and is a very solid center. 

I wasn't trying to imply that he was surrounded by significantly inferior talent.  Alabama's OL has been one of the best, and most consistent units in CFB.

31 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I still can’t understand why anyone would want to use a top 10 pick on Nelson when you can probably get one of Wynn/Hernandez at the top of round 2 and have an all pro player at the same spot anyway.

If you have a crap OL and you're in the top 10 I'd run to the podium. He literally takes defenders out of plays he's that good.

Part of me still wonders if whoever drafts Nelson will try to make him into a RT before settling on the basically sure thing he is inside. If he turns out to be a top 5-10 RT, he could definitely start justifying all of this top 5 hype he’s had as a prospect for so long. I know if I had a hole at both spots, I’d give him a shot there.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

As opposed to ND?

You think Notre Dame's OL play rivals that of Alabama's?  I mean, I'd say Notre Dame is consistently one of the better OL units but I'd argue that Alabama's have been better/more consistent.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You think Notre Dame's OL play rivals that of Alabama's?  I mean, I'd say Notre Dame is consistently one of the better OL units but I'd argue that Alabama's have been better/more consistent.

Nelson was in arguably a better position than Warmack was honestly. I do agree that Alabama has the longevity advantage but Nelson definitely benefited from being sandwiched between McGlinchey who probably would have went top 10 had he chose to come out last year and Mustipher who picks up the blitz as well as anyone at the college level currently.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Alabama hasn't had a first round offensive lineman since 2013. In 40 days from now, Notre Dame will have at least 3 and probably 4 in that same time period.

Notre Dame is every bit the offensive line factory that Alabama is. 

I’d like to draft 2 WRs from this loaded middle round class. 

Current rankings for our team 

1.Courtland Sutton

2.Calvin Ridley

3.Daesean Hamilton 

4.DJ Chark

5.DJ Moore 

6.Anthony Miller

7.Michael Gallup

8.Deontay Burnett

9.Christian Kirk

10.James Washington

This got me thinking, I honestly want 2 WRs, 2 CBs and 2 EDGE rushers from this class. Kind of unprecedented but I like the depth enough especially at WR and CB to make it happen if the board falls correctly.

I love Quenton Nelson. In fact, I love him so much I hope he and 3 QBs are drafted in the first 4 picks. Perfect scenario for us is having to choose between Davenport and Edmunds. I'd jump on Edmunds if you thought he could at some point become an EDGE rusher. Heck, I'd take Edmunds either way. 

I've got my eyes on 5 defenders and would take him in this order if they were to fall to us. I understand 4 or them probably don't make it to us and maybe all five. 

1. Chubb

2. Ward

3. Edmunds

4. Davenport

5. Smith

I love James but don't think he's a luxury we can afford with this pick. I think Smith is higher rated, but Davenport fits more of a need. I'd trade down if those 5 are gone. I'm not a big fan of Fitzpatrick. I only want a defender with this pick. 

23 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Nelson is not a byproduct of that line. It's insane how many times he puts people in the dirt by himself lol.  He is destroying people out there. 

Nelson's a studly player, nobody's doubting that. He's definitely a better prospect than Warmack, his awareness and his quickness are significantly better. He doesn't have the straight ahead drive skills, but he's pretty damn near elite there as well. The issue comes with value at the position. "Servicable" gets the job done at Guard. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nelson's a studly player, nobody's doubting that. He's definitely a better prospect than Warmack, his awareness and his quickness are significantly better. He doesn't have the straight ahead drive skills, but he's pretty damn near elite there as well. The issue comes with value at the position. "Servicable" gets the job done at Guard. 

Im actually wondering if this is the next wave of NFL. It's been a passing game for a while now, speed is ruling power. Get three IOL that can all just stick it in their A Gap all game long and hand the ball to someone who is going to end that run falling forward. I'd be very excited about adding a noticeable run game. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Oh ya def positional value isn't great for Top 10, though I do think he's so good not many would bat an eye at it. Think a running team will value him the most since he's most dominant there. I don't think he'll get past the Bears, since they have 2 young RBs and a Young QB. 

Just now, ChaRisMa said:

Im actually wondering if this is the next wave of NFL. It's been a passing game for a while now, speed is ruling power. Get three IOL that can all just stick it in their A Gap all game long and hand the ball to someone who is going to end that run falling forward. I'd be very excited about adding a noticeable run game. 

Anchor Fatties are too common on defense. Even the best running teams are having to adapt to outside zone runs, trickery, and even the zone read. Chunk yardage is still key and the passing game offers that.  

3 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Oh ya def positional value isn't great for Top 10, though I do think he's so good not many would bat an eye at it. Think a running team will value him the most since he's most dominant there. I don't think he'll get past the Bears, since they have 2 young RBs and a Young QB. 

It's been a very long time since a Guard has gone top 10. 

The Bears edge rushers are Leonard Floyd, Howard Jones, Sam Acho, and Aaron Lynch. All 4 combined for 9.5 sacks last year. I would have a very hard time drafting a Guard with that as my rush rotation. 

Archived