2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

On 1/21/2018 at 9:41 AM, packfanfb said:

Neither group is good enough. We need to land a FA CB (there are several available) plus resign House and draft 2 Edge guys with our first 4 picks. 

We're not signing a veteran CB AND re-signing Davon House.  It's one or the other.  House isn't coming back to be the #4 CB, and we're not pushing King or Randall to that position either.  Your expectations are totally unrealistic.

1 minute ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Von Miller is the king of speed to power. You have to develop some sort of power move. 

I have seem nothing even remotely close to this from Key. I went in really wanting to like Key, and there are some very valuable traits to his game, I'm just super concerned when I see no power and no shock in his hands.

If you have explosion, you have a speed to power move. It's not like if Key has a mid 1.5s 10 yard split and jumps 40 inches that because he hasn't shown it on tape he doesn't have the ability to do it. I guarantee Von didn't utilize that move in college because he could simply beat the OTs there with his speed.

On 1/21/2018 at 9:48 AM, Packerraymond said:

Give me a June 1st vet over a 2nd rookie rusher. Depending on what we do in FA, after we get that rusher we need to switch our focus to offense.

Other than Julius Peppers, what productive pass rushers have been released into FA?

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And why is Von Miller so successful in this way?  Because he's a threat to turn the edge every single time he rushes the passer.  There's a reason why I refuse to take any pass rusher who can't threaten off the edge.  If you can't threaten off the edge, the OL is just going to anchor and in most cases as long as your OL has good technique they're going to lock up your pass rushers.  Power develops, first step/burst doesn't.

I think power and first step are basically married. It's about explosion, and that's why @AlexGreen#20 has correctly stated we have to wait for the combine. But just off of film, I'll take Davenport 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Big week for Davenport this week though.

1 minute ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I think power and first step are basically married. It's about explosion, and that's why @AlexGreen#20 has correctly stated we have to wait for the combine. But just off of film, I'll take Davenport 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Big week for Davenport this week though.

But how many pass rushers who are violent like Davenport develop that first step?  Not very many.  You're either gifted with burst or you're not.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But how many pass rushers who are violent like Davenport develop that first step?  Not very many.  You're either gifted with burst or you're not.

How many pass rushers have that power but are terrible athletes? They go hand in hand. Power/explosion is tied together iyam.

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're not signing a veteran CB AND re-signing Davon House.  It's one or the other.  House isn't coming back to be the #4 CB, and we're not pushing King or Randall to that position either.  Your expectations are totally unrealistic.

I disagree. If House thinks he's a No. 2 corner, he can go elsewhere. This team won't make the Super Bowl with King, Randall, House, rookie at CB, especially considering at least one of them will prob be hurt by then given their histories. We need a solid No. 1/2 boundary guy to pair with King outside and keep Randall inside. House would be a good vet to backup either boundary position but if he doesnt want it, go get Tramon or another vet who will. Plenty of guys out there. 

3 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

How many pass rushers have that power but are terrible athletes? They go hand in hand. Power/explosion is tied together iyam.

There's two different types of power that I think you're trying to wrap up in a nice neat bow.  You've got the turning speed-into-power that you're referencing, and you've got the power in terms of being able to hold the POA.  I think that's where the miscommunication is coming from.  I'm arguing that those in the latter group rarely ever develop the first step/explosion.  Where as the players who have that first step/explosiveness, they generally are able to turn speed into power.  To me, Davenport has displayed his skillset to be closer to be somewhere in between the two where as Key is closer to the initial skilset.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I disagree. If House thinks he's a No. 2 corner, he can go elsewhere. This team won't make the Super Bowl with King, Randall, House, rookie at CB, especially considering at least one of them will prob be hurt by then given their histories. We need a solid No. 1/2 boundary guy to pair with King outside and keep Randall inside. House would be a good vet to backup either boundary position but if he doesnt want it, go get Tramon or another vet who will. Plenty of guys out there. 

You really think Davon House couldn't get a situation where he's at least the #3 CB on a nickel-heavy team?  Hate to burst your bubble, but you're not going to get a great boundary CB in FA.  And I really, really hope you're not suggesting that the Packers should go sign Tramon Williams.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's two different types of power that I think you're trying to wrap up in a nice neat bow.  You've got the turning speed-into-power that you're referencing, and you've got the power in terms of being able to hold the POA.  I think that's where the miscommunication is coming from.  I'm arguing that those in the latter group rarely ever develop the first step/explosion.  Where as the players who have that first step/explosiveness, they generally are able to turn speed into power.  To me, Davenport has displayed his skillset to be closer to be somewhere in between the two where as Key is closer to the initial skilset.

I think he's getting sold short, but again, this week will be one step and the combine will be the final step.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The CB situation is in a huge state of flux which is unfortunate. I don't know if the coaching staff knows exactly what they have, or if they can project correctly, but it's a huge concern obviously. House is an asset if used correctly, and if nothing else, provides a presence for these young guys. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in another veteran as opposed to burning yet another high pick when there are other holes to fill as well. There is a ton of work to be done there

Just now, MNPackfan32 said:

I think he's getting sold short, but again, this week will be one step and the combine will be the final step.

I'd argue if anything he's being oversold right now.  And that's not a knock on him, it's just part of the process.  The LoC in Conference USA is mediocre, let's not sugarcoat it.  And their OOC schedule didn't do them any favors in terms of evaluation.  He did some good things, but we're going to get a better idea of who Davenport is after the Senior Bowl.  And look who his production came against: Baylor (1 sack), Texas State (2.5 TFL, 1 sack), North Texas (4 TFL, 2.5 sacks), Rice (3.5 TFL, 2 sacks), UAB (2.5 TFL, 1 sacks), and Louisiana Tech (2 TFL, 1 sack).  That's medicore LoC.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You really think Davon House couldn't get a situation where he's at least the #3 CB on a nickel-heavy team?  Hate to burst your bubble, but you're not going to get a great boundary CB in FA.  And I really, really hope you're not suggesting that the Packers should go sign Tramon Williams.

I'll take Tramon six times a week and twice on Sunday over Lenzy Pipkins, Brown or even Rollins. 

Why cant we get a boundary corner? Ted sign running the show anymore. 

House can prob find other opportunities. If he wants to go be a No. 2 on Cleveland good for him. Personally I dont trust the guy to make it through a full game without an injury. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'll take Tramon six times a week and twice on Sunday over Lenzy Pipkins, Brown or even Rollins. 

Why cant we get a boundary corner? Ted sign running the show anymore. 

House can prob find other opportunities. If he wants to go be a No. 2 on Cleveland good for him. Personally I dont trust the guy to make it through a full game without an injury. 

Lulz.  Tramon Williams is done at this point in his career.  And I'd be willing to bet you were one of the ones who couldn't get him out of town fast enough.  Admittedly, I'm too lazy to dig into it.

Because the Packers aren't going to pay premium for a CB.  I can pretty much guarantee you that.  They're going to sign a decent vet to be the #2 CB, i.e. Davon House.

Tramon actually had a very good year last year by NFL standards which means he was head and shoulders better than anyone on our roster. Can't guarantee the same for 2018 but House may not be back, Rollins is likely done, Randall may be sent to detention at any given time, and the jury is out on King. LIS before, there is a ton of work to be done.

Archived