Coordinator News and Rumors

WindyCity

34 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I prefer we keep Fangio...if not give me AZ DC James Bettcher...3rd choice would be Gus Bradley...hear me out...yes he has had some good and some bad defences but what he would bring is that "Leo" defence...if you want the very best of Floyd he is perfect for that role...means Hicks can play both inside and out and puts another big body inside next to Goldman which builds a wall infront of DT59 to flow to the ball...we have some nice pieces to transition back to a 4-3 D should we choose too.

I am board with a switch back to a 4-3.  Leo would be great for Floyd and Hick would be a monster elephant end. You also have three draft able DE possibilities.  LBs are solid and you have good depth.   Bullard fits better as a 3T

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

Bob McGinn is an old retired Packers writer still salty towards the organization because when they transitioned from Ron to Ted he lost a lot of his inside sources. Everything he's reported on the GM search up to this point has been wrong.

You guys can think whatever you want, one of the best coaches in the NFL isn't on the hot seat. Any DC that comes to GB can do so with the thought that he could enjoy a long career here.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Bob McGinn is an old retired Packers writer still salty towards the organization because when they transitioned from Ron to Ted he lost a lot of his inside sources. Everything he's reported on the GM search up to this point has been wrong.

You guys can think whatever you want, one of the best coaches in the NFL isn't on the hot seat. Any DC that comes to GB can do so with the thought that he could enjoy a long career here.

You follow that team a lot more closely than I do, but to me it is an odd structure.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Plus the lack of stability in Green Bay right now? WTF would he be thinking? Their front office is being shaken up, word is McCarthy is on very thin ice... but yeah I'm going to leave Chicago and this young, ascending defense.

For all of the reasons you’d be angry if he left I think the talk of going elsewhere are purely a leverage play. There won’t be a situation available to him as DC outside of maybe AZ better suited to run his scheme. These are HIS players built to HIS system and for whom they’d run through a brick wall. His best shot to get that long sought after HC gig is to take this D that he’s built from good to great. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

With the OC in Carolina out I think that could be a great landing spot for Flip to keep going in his push to be a HC, assuming of course he doesn’t land a job this year. 

I think Philly sack Reich and promote him but yeah it would be perfect.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think Philly sack Reich and promote him but yeah it would be perfect.

Could be. Just think for him that running his own offense in CAR under a defensive HC rather than that of Pedersen in PHI may be a better fit for his long term plan.  

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

For all of the reasons you’d be angry if he left I think the talk of going elsewhere are purely a leverage play. There won’t be a situation available to him as DC outside of maybe AZ better suited to run his scheme. These are HIS players built to HIS system and for whom they’d run through a brick wall. His best shot to get that long sought after HC gig is to take this D that he’s built from good to great. 

I'm hoping that's the case. I value loyalty.

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Could be. Just think for him that running his own offense in CAR under a defensive HC rather than that of Pedersen in PHI may be a better fit for his long term plan.  

I think it would be a much better situation for him as well...altho don't rule of AZ making him HC this year...apparently their GM has been a fan of his for a while.

Just now, G08 said:

I'm hoping that's the case. I value loyalty.

Me too, but more than that in Fangio’s Case is common sense. Anywhere else he goes to be DC is going to be somewhat of a step backward at least for 2018. Especially if the team remains committed to paying him as one of the top DC as they have been. 

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Where's your sense of pride and ownership if you're Vic Fangio? He's getting paid, he's respected here, he has been told WE WANT YOU HERE, and his response would be "nah I'm going to Green Bay for $500k more?" I mean really? To me, that's a coward who never really was invested in his team or players (#overdramatic)

$500K more?

People take jobs over getting paid $2 more an hour.

I don't think it is cowardly at all. If the Bears truly wanted him as bad they would match that price or pay more to keep them

If anyone you should be blaming the Bears, not Fangio

This is some compelling reporting from Jeff Hughes. I am especially interested in this feedback about Flip:

John DeFilippo’s interview was underwhelming. And that’s being kind. The Bears found him to be green and, beyond that, doubted his ability to build a competitive staff. When Peter Schrager reported that Flip was willing to keep Fangio, some believe it was a response to Flip knowing he’d done poorly when pushed on those questions.

This leads me to believe that Flip is nowhere near as ready as was originally reported. Maybe he is someone that we consider as OC?   Politically, this might not work but him considered as being “green” is a real eye-opener.

Link here: http://dabearsblog.com/2018/some-bits-on-the-matt-nagy-hiring-you-wont-find-anywhere-else

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

$500K more?

I don't think it is cowardly at all. If the Bears truly wanted him as bad they would match that price or pay more to keep them

It's relative, and for me it ties into finishing a project that he started. There's a sense of pride in that, or there at the very least should be IMO.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

$500K more?

Agreed.  We will see if it even comes to that, though, but if the reports of Fangio being open to staying are true than its definitely on the Bears to get the deal done.

Archived