Coordinator News and Rumors

WindyCity

This is a big hire for the Bears. OL coach is a big hire for any team, but it is an even bigger deal fro for a team with a young QB.

Hiestand is a very good coach. Look at the dudes that Notre Dame has produced on the OL in the last 5 years.

When Fangio is announced Nagy will have come out and landed 2 great names for the staff.

1 hour ago, Mudderfudder77 said:

I don't know how much of a bigger name there is in OL coaching.  Hiestand is generally regarded as the best OL coach in college and a top guy in all of football.

Nagy is said to want to hire teachers - well he got one of the best for the OL.

I like the hire a lot.  What I said was no discredit to Hiestand's name.  I guess you can say this is big, was just expecting something HUGE based after what was being mentioned on twitter.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Mark Helfrich would be awesome.

Different style and voice, but a ton of play calling and head coaching experience.

Helfrich only really called plays for the three years he was the OC at Colorado.  Kelly called plays when Helfrich was the OC, and Frost called plays when Helfrich became HC.

But I agree it would be an awesome hire.  He's a great QB coach and someone who can definitely teach offense.  I also love that he'll be able to bring a lot of those college schemes and ideas to Chicago.  Nagy / Helfrich / Ragone would be a nice trio to lead the offense.

15 minutes ago, Mudderfudder77 said:

Helfrich only really called plays for the three years he was the OC at Colorado.  Kelly called plays when Helfrich was the OC, and Frost called plays when Helfrich became HC.

But I agree it would be an awesome hire.  He's a great QB coach and someone who can definitely teach offense.  I also love that he'll be able to bring a lot of those college schemes and ideas to Chicago.  Nagy / Helfrich / Ragone would be a nice trio to lead the offense.

Nagy would still be calling the plays...Helfrich worth would be brining some of the tempo and install concepts...again tho give me an OC with NFL experience...Nagy's background is innovative enough I want someone to put the meat and bones on it all. 

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

... give me an OC with NFL experience...Nagy's background is innovative enough I want someone to put the meat and bones on it all. 

Yes and the other (minor) concern is that Helfrich is only 44. I suppose that compared to Pace (39) and Nagy (39) he's practically an old man but it might be nice to have a little more seasoning on the offensive side of the ball.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I read a Mark Helfrich rumor for OC...

That would make me incredibly happy..... Oregon actually improved offensively the year Chip left and Mark was given free reign...  Also I was a pretty big fan of the aggressive style they had.  Finally, I'd add that I don't think Helfrich is a real HC candidate (he's the type that probably belongs at OC) so that could be a really ideal pairing long term.....

If Nagy lands Helfrich @ OC , retains Fangio @ DC, and lands Toub @ ST, that would be about as close to a dream scenario as I could imagine.

Archived