Coordinator News and Rumors

WindyCity

I’m just wondering about the Hiestand hiring - does Nagy have some connection to him?  I’m curious as to how he was able to get him to come back to Chicago from ND.  I’d think a seasoned guy like HH would rather come back with a veteran coach on a team closer to contending.

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Bettcher is far and away my #2. And maybe 1a. Big fan of what that AZ defense has been under his watch.

If it’s Bettcher and not Fangio I wonder if that changes the fortunes of Marcus Cooper, seeing as he had his best year in 2016 under Bettcher. Probably not, but it’s at least worth consideration. 

If Vic wasn't already here I would prefwr Bettcher.

3 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I’m just wondering about the Hiestand hiring - does Nagy have some connection to him?  I’m curious as to how he was able to get him to come back to Chicago from ND.  I’d think a seasoned guy like HH would rather come back with a veteran coach on a team closer to contending.

Could it just be he had a good relationship with Ted Phillips and McCaskey and he was just ready to head back to the pro level.

Probably the best time to leave sending 2 players to the NFL that may be 2 first round picks this year.

15 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/951270452353257473

Bears hire Chris Tabor to coach Special Teams.

Seen some dogging this hire on Twitter. Hard to know if CLE’s low ranking is due to the personnel on a team that’s 1-31 the past 2 years, the coaching, or both. That he’s survived as many coaching changes as he has in Cleveland makes me think it may be more personnel than coaching, but I suppose that’s TBD. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Seen some dogging this hire on Twitter. Hard to know if CLE’s low ranking is due to the personnel on a team that’s 1-31 the past 2 years, the coaching, or both. That he’s survived as many coaching changes as he has in Cleveland makes me think it may be more personnel than coaching, but I suppose that’s TBD. 

I think a large part is the personnel. You have the worst roster in the NFL, and he was utilizing the worst players of the worst roster. I hope with an improved cast he does better than Rodgers did.

But he could be as bad as the cast he had. We'll see.

Just now, G08 said:

Go on...

I can’t begin to tell you how many times our STs has cost us over the years with him. Whether it was poor coverage on punts and kickoffs, FGs getting blocked. Undisciplined penalties.  Pretty much anything you could think of. We’ve been calling him the cockroach for years because he’s somehow he’s lasted through multiple regime changes despite always having a bad ST unit. Somewhere along the way he somehow got a reputation for being a good ST coach. But no one has ever been able to figure out how. I just think it’s because people don’t pay attention closely to STs and once you get a reputation you have one for life  

Our punters have been pretty good though. 

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think a large part is the personnel. You have the worst roster in the NFL, and he was utilizing the worst players of the worst roster. I hope with an improved cast he does better than Rodgers did.

But he could be as bad as the cast he had. We'll see.

Yeah, it’s not like we weren’t a bottom tier ST unit under Rodgers. Or Joe D before that. 

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I can’t begin to tell you how many times our STs has cost us over the years with him. Whether it was poor coverage on punts and kickoffs, FGs getting blocked. Undisciplined penalties.  Pretty much anything you could think of. We’ve been calling him the cockroach for years because he’s somehow he’s lasted through multiple regime changes despite always having a bad ST unit. Somewhere along the way he somehow got a reputation for being a good ST coach. But no one has ever been able to figure out how. I just think it’s because people don’t pay attention closely to STs and once you get a reputation you have one for life  

Well ****. Do you think it had anything to do with the talent-level? I was looking at the rankings and ya'll had one or two good seasons with him but the rest seemed below average.

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

How much of that is the personnel he’s working with though? Lack of talent and football acumen on the roster is how you get to where you guys have been the past few years. 

Archived