Coordinator News and Rumors

WindyCity

I really like the hire of Mark Helfirch.

The Kansas City Chiefs run a system that is a mashup of a ton of different systems and styles and it made them very difficult to play against. They run west coast, spread, RPO, multiple option packages.

I like the idea of having a ton of different ideas in the room and coming up with the best and most innovative system possible. The Bears have never done that. They have never been "cutting edge" offensively.

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

No concerns the staff is heavy on college coaching?

Hiestand doesn’t concern me at all - he was a long time successful NFL coach in the same role. Helfrich is another innovative voice in the room but ultimately it’s Nagy’s offense. 

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

I would have hired Harry Hiestand if he had shown up to the interview with a trunk full of dead bodies.

I do not mind some college coaches. Helfrich should provide a new perspective as well as some great resources for the Pac 12 in the draft.

30 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Besides Helfrich the rest of the staff so far is mainly NFL guys.  Hiestand has the experience in working with veteran NFL o-lineman under Lovie Smith.  Olin Kreutz called him the best coach he's ever worked with.  That says a lot coming from an All Pro.

Don't know what to make of the Helfrich hire because I don't know much about him other than he worked under Chip Kelly at Oregon.  I'm all for new and innovative ideas  on offense though based on what we've had to watch the past 3 years under Fox and Loggains.

Watching kcs offense so far the foundation really is wco.  The routes are all wco concepts.  Its the formation, the way they come to the line that is just so intriguing.  They use wrs to clear out the middle for Kelce.  The use a bunch formation like a wall on a 30 power.  Almost like having a 2nd ol.  They show you so many different looks and then run a variety of plays from that look.  Now if you tell me that we are goimg to get some of Oregons tempo concepts in too?  Thats pretty exciting.  

10 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Watching kcs offense so far the foundation really is wco.  The routes are all wco concepts.  Its the formation, the way they come to the line that is just so intriguing.  They use wrs to clear out the middle for Kelce.  The use a bunch formation like a wall on a 30 power.  Almost like having a 2nd ol.  They show you so many different looks and then run a variety of plays from that look.  Now if you tell me that we are goimg to get some of Oregons tempo concepts in too?  Thats pretty exciting.  

Not just tempo, but the experience of modern college trends as well.

Remember that when Chip Kelly went to Philly, be brought along Pat Shurmur because he wanted a voice that could provide pro passing game input. In this case, Nagy will provide the WCO/Andy Reid base, and Helfrich can incorporate aspects of the college game.

I really like Andy Reid's comments regarding Nagy bringing his own "Flair" to the offence in KC...what he was basically saying IMO is Nagy introduced more vertical passing concept and was more aggressive in his play calling...which is a really good thing because as we saw from Kelly & Shurmur in Philly if you blend a WCO and that Oregon Spread you are attacking a defence horizontally more than vertically...we have to keep those vertical concepts and aggressiveness from Nagy in KC to back up defences and allow all the underneath stuff and running game to continue to work...

One thing is for sure we need a ton of speed at the WR positions to make this all work for Howard in the running game and Shaheen underneath...actually can't wait to see Shaheen in this offence.

Archived