Coordinator News and Rumors

WindyCity

I wouldn't have a problem with any of the guys being rumored for QB coach right now because none of them will be calling plays ever under this coaching staff.

Bevell would be my first choice because of his experience as an OC/former QB but I think he will probably end up getting an OC job with one of the Vikes, Cards or Giants.

O'Hara is an intriguing option because he played QB in the NFL and had a lot of success coaching up Deshaun Watson this past season. Downing is my last choice because he regressed this past season as a coach IMO but he still has some upside.

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I wouldn't have a problem with any of the guys being rumored for QB coach right now because none of them will be calling plays ever under this coaching staff.

Bevell would be my first choice because of his experience as an OC/former QB but I think he will probably end up getting an OC job with one of the Vikes, Cards or Giants.

O'Hara is an intriguing option because he played QB in the NFL and had a lot of success coaching up Deshaun Watson this past season. Downing is my last choice because he regressed this past season as a coach IMO but he still has some upside.

While I am not making an excuse for Downing as he should have been better regardless, OAK's receivers really let him and Carr down. Cooper, Crabtree, and Cook all were tied for 9th in the NFL in drops (per Fox's database). It says only 5 for each, but I feel like that is a pretty forgiving number. Off the top of my head I thought Cooper would have been top 3 from the games I watched. Never expected him to have so many issues with concentration, some were Jordan Howard-level passes he just didn't secure. It was a weird year all around for OAK.

Whoever becomes QB coach better be ready to become OC within a year or two because if we start doing well the bigger college teams will come calling for Helfrich...plus Nagy will more than be using the same strategy of promising guys he won't stand in there way if they want to leave much like Andy Reid has always done.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Whoever becomes QB coach better be ready to become OC within a year or two because if we start doing well the bigger college teams will come calling for Helfrich...plus Nagy will more than be using the same strategy of promising guys he won't stand in there way if they want to leave much like Andy Reid has always done.

I don't think Helfrich really enjoyed the spotlight of being a head coach. We might be lucky AF if he decides he just wants to coordinate our offense for the foreseeable future.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't think Helfrich really enjoyed the spotlight of being a head coach. We might be lucky AF if he decides he just wants to coordinate our offense for the foreseeable future.

Hoge and Jahns said that this career move shows that he does not really want to go back to college. He had offers as UCLA OC and Arizona HC interest.

Parkins on the Score said a guy he knows who is plugged into Oregon football said that Helfrich does not like recruiting and was too nice a guy to do well as a recruiter.

My guess is he is going to take a run at being an NFL HC.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Hoge and Jahns said that this career move shows that he does not really want to go back to college. He had offers as UCLA OC and Arizona HC interest.

Parkins on the Score said a guy he knows who is plugged into Oregon football said that Helfrich does not like recruiting and was too nice a guy to do well as a recruiter.

My guess is he is going to take a run at being an NFL HC.

It would be good if he didn't go back but money and opportunity talk...I  think if he was too nice to recruit he would really struggle to be an NFL coach...need to have a edge about you for that kind of role.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

It would be good if he didn't go back but money and opportunity talk...I  think if he was too nice to recruit he would really struggle to be an NFL coach...need to have a edge about you for that kind of role.

But you do not need to recruit.

In a perfect world he is done being a HC and he stays with the Bears a long time.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But you do not need to recruit.

In a perfect world he is done being a HC and he stays with the Bears a long time.

I disagree.  Ask Lovie Smith if he didn't need to recruit when they signed Peppers.  IIRC he was a big part of the reason why Peppers came here as Lovie personally flew down to North Carolina to recruit him.

Archived