Coordinator News and Rumors

WindyCity

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

But you do not need to recruit.

In a perfect world he is done being a HC and he stays with the Bears a long time.

He needs to recruit a staff and as McDaniels shows that is no easy task...he also needs to have a ruthless streak as an NFL HC...if your "too nice" to even recruit HS kids what chance to you have running a 53 man locker room full of grown men?

4 hours ago, bkokot said:

An announcement like this makes me wonder if Brandon Staley (OLB's) and or Jay Rodgers (DL) will be replaced...

Rodgers seemed to do pretty well...would love to see a new OLB coach brought in tho cause I don't see what we really got out of Staley.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was thinking Morton got canned specifically because Haley became available. 

According to the reports I saw they were hoping someone can and poached him and when it was clear that wasn't happening he was canned...we will never know the full story...Haley could make sense there no doubt.

Listening to Fangio in his presser and it's Fox really was just stealing money from the Bears...Fangio was very clear that "John pretty much let me do everything anyway".

Really impressed with Helfrich...excellent talker...full of energy and I reckon will be key in Tru's development.

20 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Listening to Fangio in his presser and it's Fox really was just stealing money from the Bears...Fangio was very clear that "John pretty much let me do everything anyway".

Really impressed with Helfrich...excellent talker...full of energy and I reckon will be key in Tru's development.

Sounds about right. Can't believe he was that horrible of a coach for us.

On 1/17/2018 at 5:49 PM, G08 said:

Where were these options when Lovie was here... Christ.

Speaking of this, and for everybody who dumped of the Pace extension, here’s a reminder of what the perception of instability creates: for everything that happened during the Lovie regime (both good and bad), most people have completely forgotten that in January 2010, after Ron Turner was sent packing and Bob Babich was demoted, the Bears has pretty much every OC and DC candidate besides Martz and Marinelli decline their interview requests. Candidates didn’t trust that the coaching staff would survive more than a year.

I’m trying to dig up the OCs who didn’t want the Bears job in 2010. So far:

Hue Jackson

Rob Chudzinski

Ken Zampese

Jeremy Bates

Also, don’t forget that the Bears has Pep Hamilton in-house in 2009, but Cutler didn’t like him.

Can’t find any of the DC candidates other than Perry Fewell.

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I have to disagree with that. The culture of the Bears was broken after Trestman. Fox had to teach "competitive locker room 101" to this bunch. Remember when the bears got blown away twice in 3 weeks back in 2014? (52-23 loss to NC the week before the bye and 55-14 to GB the week after the bye). This was a team in dysfunction and they had basically quit. As bad as they looked under Fox, nobody ever accused them of quitting under him.

Others have said this before but Foxy had a thankless job -- he had to re-instill an NFL culture to a team that had descended into something below that. 

1 hour ago, IotaNet said:

I have to disagree with that. The culture of the Bears was broken after Trestman. Fox had to teach "competitive locker room 101" to this bunch. Remember when the bears got blown away twice in 3 weeks back in 2014? (52-23 loss to NC the week before the bye and 55-14 to GB the week after the bye). This was a team in dysfunction and they had basically quit. As bad as they looked under Fox, nobody ever accused them of quitting under him.

Others have said this before but Foxy had a thankless job -- he had to re-instill an NFL culture to a team that had descended into something below that. 

He did not put much of a culture in place apart from showing he couldn't handle talented yet difficult characters or stop a losing culture. 

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

He did not put much of a culture in place apart from showing he couldn't handle talented yet difficult characters or stop a losing culture. 

Disagree.

The players played hard for him and never showed any quit. The "talented yet difficult" player exodus was more on Pace than Fox -- and I applaud the decisions. Again, a part of culture change. You can have a diva or two if you have a strong culture to keep them in check. I love BMarsh and have a lot of respect for how he's turned his life around but he wears out his welcome wherever he goes. Same with Marty Bennett -- he gets old (body slamming Kyle Fuller was inexcusable) pretty quickly.

1 minute ago, IotaNet said:

Disagree.

The players played hard for him and never showed any quit. The "talented yet difficult" player exodus was more on Pace than Fox -- and I applaud the decisions. Again, a part of culture change. You can have a diva or two if you have a strong culture to keep them in check. I love BMarsh and have a lot of respect for how he's turned his life around but he wears out his welcome wherever he goes. Same with Marty Bennett -- he gets old (body slamming Kyle Fuller was inexcusable) pretty quickly.

The dude lost...he had a losing culture where there was zero confidence amongst those players...if you can't bread that then you are a poor coach.

Archived