Steelers sign OT Alejandro Villanueva to 4-year contract extension

Scalamania

41 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Is he a starter?

I thought he could've been a great extra blocker/TE type guy, glad to see he's made a name for himself. 

He's the starting left tackle for the Steelers, and he is absolutely deserving of this money. 6 million a year for a solid left tackle is a great deal for the Steelers.

That seems like a steal from what I remember of him last year. That'll be 21st in LT contracts, in terms of average per year and he's better than that for sure (and many making less are on rookie deals.) Have to imagine they got him cheap by paying him now rather than forcing him to spend the next two years on cheap restricted deals. Good move.

Along with being 21st in LT contracts, something I always try to look at is when the contract was signed. It's 21st in contracts now, but that is also including contracts from previous years that would have been larger percentages of the cap. It makes for an even better deal than it even looks like.

I thought we were going to have to break the bank for him.

He is definitely a second tier LT.   Not up there with the Joe Thomas' and Trent Williams' of the league, but a pretty good starter who has been very dependable to this point.

In the end, though, Munch is the MVP of our OLine.   Even if we had lost AV, I wouldnt be TOO worried because Munch knows how to coach guys up.

Archived