The Matt Nagy Offseason Plan

WindyCity

Coaching

OC: David Culley [Bills QB Coach]

I would like someone with some play calling experience, but we also need someone who can really develop the WR position. Culley has been rumored as a possible OC for Nagy and it makes sense with the Bears needs.

DC: Vic Fangio

If they keep Fangio it would provide continuity for the defense, probably allows them to keep Donatel, which probably means they have a better chance of re-signing Fuller, it also buys Nagy instant credibility with the defense if the coordinator the defense loves choose to stay. There are a lot of positives to Fangio staying beyond his ability to run a defense on game day. I would offer him 4 years 12 million, assistant head coach title, and more of  voice in personnel decision regarding the defense.

Releases/Not Re-signed

QB Mike Glennon [11.5 million]-A complete failure of a free agent signing.
TE Dion Sims [4.5 million]-He has been mediocre at catching and blocking and there is an out in his contract
WR Markus Wheaton [5 million]-Has done nothing and been injured and an easy one to move on from
LB Jerrel Freeman[3.5 million]-Younger players took his job. He can still play, but you do not keep a 32 year old guy when you have young guys ready to play
LB Pernell McPhee [7 million]-injuries and a big contract
LB Willie Young [4.5 million]-injuries and age
CB Marcus Cooper [4.5 million]-has been a bust and I would rather keep Prince
C Hroniss Grasu [800k]-he sucks
FB- Michael Burton [700k]-he sucks as well
OT Bradley Sowell
OT Tom Compton

Re-signings/Extensions

Eddie Goldman 5 years 43.5 million/26 guaranteed
New Money: 4 years 42 million/26 guaranteed
Old Money: 1 year 1.5 million

CB Kyle Fuller 4 years 42 million/20 guaranteed [12]

CB Prince Amukamara 3 years 21 million/10 guaranteed [5]

LB Lamarr Houston 2 years 8 million/2 guaranteed [4]
LB Christian Jones 3 years 9 million/4 guaranteed [3]
P Pat O'Donnell 4 years 12 million/5 guaranteed [3]
WR Dontrelle Inman 2 years 5 million/1 guaranteed [2]
QB Mark Sanchez 2 years 5 million/2 guaranteed [2]
CB Sherrick McManis 2 years 4 million/.5 guaranteed [1.5]
DE Mitch Unrien 2 years 4.5 million/1.5 guaranteed [2.5]
RB Benny Cunningham 1 year 1.2 million/200k guaranteed [1.2]

RFA

WR Cam Meredith 2.4 million [2nd round tender]
CB Bryce Callahan 2.4 million [2nd round tender]
TE Daniel Brown 750K [Original Round] 

Free Agents

I think the Bears will add starting calibre WRs and fill in positions of need like they always do. I do not see a WR worth a massive investment in free agency this year and I do not see an OLB that comes in and instantly starts. The positions where the Bears could spend are CB, but I would rather bring back Fuller and Prince than pay Malcolm Butler 15 million a season and still nee a CB opposite of him.

WR Paul Richardson [Seattle] 4 years 34 million/16 guaranteed

There is no connection here other than the fact that Seattle is strapped for cap space and the Bears need some outside speed at the WR position. Richardson has the 4.4 speed that the Bears need on the outside and he is coming off his best season with 700 yards and 16 YPC. Richardson has had injury issues, is not a super polished WR and is not a #1 guy, but he gives them #2 production and missing speed.

r281623_576x324_16-9.jpg

WR Albert Wilson [Kansas City] 4 years 20 million/10 guaranteed

This makes too much sense and Ben Allbright was already tweeting about it. Wilson knows the system, knows the coach, and has the speed that the Bears are missing. He also can do the versatile stuff like jet sweeps, hand offs and shovel passes that the slot guy does in this offense. In this free agent market with how much money will be flying around personal connection between players and coaches will be huge.

070517-wilson-image.jpg

OG/C Zach Fulton [Kansas City] 3 years 15 million/8 guaranteed

This may seem strange, but there are 2 reasons this move makes sense. The first is that Fulton is versatile with starts at C and OG and he knows the system. The second is that the Bears interior OL is a mess right now. Sitton missed time with injury, Long is a physical wreck right now, and there primary backup is coming off a horrendous hamstring injury. I am signing Fulton and letting the best/healthiest 3 interior players start. The Bears did not have enough depth this season and you cannot start guys like Grasu, Sowell and Compton and hope your QB will survive. Fulton has 46 career starts and my hope would be that he can possibly push Sitton off the roster to save some cash or he provides incredible depth at all 3 spots.

062317-fulton-image.jpg

OLB Aaron Lynch [San Francisco] 2 years 8 million/3 guaranteed [Back-loaded]

This is a Fangio familair player and a reclamation project of a talented player that seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. Under Fangio as a rookie Lynch came in and had 6.5 sacks and looked like a steal in the 5th round. He was productive the year after Fangio left starting and notching 6 sacks again, but since then has fallen out of favor and out of the rotation. The OLB free agent group is bad and the Bears can try to reclaim the upside that existed with Lynch when he was drafted.

091814-askaaron-thumb.jpg

K Graham Gano [Carolina] 3 years 12 million/4 guaranteed [4]

The kicking situation passed from pathetic to embarrassing awhile ago and the Bears need to stop screwing around and get a real kicker in here to support the offense. Gano has been a steady kicker for the Panthers and has a strong enough leg to kick in conditions.

Graham_Gano_Panthers_Contract_Four_Years

FB Anthony Sherman [Kansas City] 2 years 5 million/3 guaranteed [3]

I am not opposed to having a FB on the roster, but I am opposed when they suck like Michael Burton. Sherman can run, catch, and block. He is familiar with the offense and he can be a stand out special teams player.

110514-ShermanContract-Thumb--nfl_medium

Draft

1[8] OT Orlando Brown [OU] 6'8" 340lbs.

In Philadelphia and Kansas City huge investments were made in the OT position. The Chiefs do not like to leave a back or TE in to protect and they want to be able to run the ball without having to use TEs as key blockers. By upgrading at OT the Bears will be able to accomplish both of those things. Brown is a freak of nature. He is massive, with incredible length and good feet. He is punishing in the run game and he is so big that edge rushers have trouble with him because they get overwhelmed by his size. Brown has some rough edges and he needs to be coached and continue to focus on his conditioning, but the upside is incredible. By starting at RT he does not have to be perfect as a rookie and can work on these things. Trubisky is the most important player in the franchise then they need to invest in protecting him. Outside of Chubb I am not sure that there is an OLB worth the 8th pick.

6_5280124.jpg 

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[39] to the Buffalo Bills for 2[53], 3[95], 5th and a 4th in 2019. The Ryan Pace 2nd round trade down is almost becoming a tradition and needing picks my guess is we see it again.

2[53] OLB Lorenzo Carter [Georgia] 6'6" 245lbs.

Ryan Pace and Fangio clearly have a type at OLB and they appear to value length and burst. Carter has both of those things and can be coached up by Fangio to develop his pass rush technique. This is a potential pick as Carter only had 4.5 sacks this season, but the talent is there and after seeing the steps that Leonard Floyd has taken I am trusting Fangio to not only develop Carter in a similar way, but also to find a situational role for him as a rookie.

USATSI_9268294-610x407.jpg

3[91] OLB Chad Thomas [Miami] 6'6" 265lbs.

While Carter gives the Bears another long speed rusher to go with Floyd, Thomas profiles more as a strongside OLB and someone who can set the edge and provide a power rush. Thomas is a physical rusher who uses his hands well to collapse the pocket and drive OTs back into the QB. Thomas can work behind Lynch and Houston while he develops and gives the Bears another talent/youth infusion at a key position.

6_4789025.jpg

4. CB Quentin Meeks [Stanford] 6'1" 205lbs.

The Bears need a 3rd outside CB and they need someone with some size as Leblanc and Callahan are woefully undersized on the outside. With Fuller and Prince starting Meeks gets some time to work on his technique with arguably the best position coach the Bears have had. Meeks has the physical talent to be an NFL starter and he comes from a system that Fangio installed at Stanford, I would be excited to see what Donatell can turn him into over the course of 2018. A pylon would be an upgrade over what Marcus Cooper gave the Bears last season as the backup outside CB.

Quenton+Meeks+102nd+Rose+Bowl+Game+Iowa+

4. NT Jeremy Tillery [Notre Dame] 6'6" 315lbs.

Hicks and Goldman play way too many snaps for guys of their size and you can see them wear down late in games and late in the season. The Bears need to add more young players who are capable of giving those guys more rest during the games. Tillery is a huge player with the length the Bears want on the DL and he can play NT and DE. Tillery is a really active player for a man of his size and gives the Bears someone who hopefully can jump into the rotation early and be more active than John Jenkins.

Jerry+Tillery+Texas+v+Notre+Dame+OHifpst

5. TE Ian Thomas [Indiana] 6'5" 252lbs.

Dion Sims just does not fit what Nagy does in the passing game and on top of it he is a mediocre blocker and makes too much money. Thomas is a receiving threat. He has the athletic ability to run the routes required of the TE in this offense and he had his best game this season against a very good Ohio St secondary. Thomas can pair with Shaheen to give the Bears 3 young dynamic receiving TEs. 

6_7672299.jpg

5. WR Steve Ishmael [Syracuse] 6'2" 210lbs.

With veteran free agents added to stabilize the WR core the Bears can push it down in the draft and draft a developmental player for 2018. Ishmael comes from a spread offense so he will need work on his routes and technique, but he has speed and size and the physical tools are there for him to be an NFL WR. For Syracuse he catches about 1 long pass a game and if he can find that role in the NFL that would be huge for an offense that struggles to get downfield.

2017-10-13-dn-supregame19jpg-a0b55da2a7f

6. QB Mike White [Western Kentucky] 6'4" 225lbs.

If you are going to invest so much in developing the QB [Nagy, Sanchez, etc] and are going to make it a priority you might as well get another young QB in the room and see if you can hit the lottery. Your biggest coaching asset right now is Nagy who specializes in the QB and while Trubisky is doing drills you might as well have another young guy doing the exact same drills. White has NFL skills, but like Trubisky comes from a wide open spread system and needs work. More than likely White never becomes anything and is the 3rd QB for a couple of seasons, but it is worth the risk even if you get a long term backup out of it.

wku-mike-white.jpeg

7. ILB Nyles Morgan [Notre Dame] 6'1" 245lbs.

The Bears inside LB position has had the depth tested every single year and the Bears need to continue to add options, specifically behind Trevathan. Morgan is an all around LB that has the size and physicality to hold up in the 3-4 defense. Morgan is better against the run right now, but he has the athletic skills to improve in coverage. At a minimum in 2018 he can play short yardage snaps and on special teams.

nyles-morgan-2016.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Sanchez, White
RB: Howard, Cohen, Cunningham
WR: Richardson, Meredith, Wilson, Inman, Ishmael, White
TE: Shaheen, Brown, Thomas
LT: Leno
LG: Sitton, Fulton
C: Whithair, Kush
RG: Long, Morgan
RT: Brown, Massie

RE: Bullard/Robertson-Harris
NT: Goldman, Tillery
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Carter
ILB: Kwaitowski, Jones
ILB: Trevathan, Timu, Morgan
OLB: Lynch, Houston, Thomas
CB: Fuller, Amukamara, Meeks, Callahan, Leblanc, McManis
SS: Amos, Hall/Bush
FS: Jackson, Demps

Oh man Orlando Brown in shooting up draft boards.  I love the additions on the OL.  WR is a solid group and that's all you need a Nagy offense.  You don't need to pay the Alshon Jeffery's of the NFL 60 million dollars.  

This gets the bears a minimum 8 wins 

I'm mostly on board with this off-season scenario per positions and picks without knowing much about the players themselves. I'm a big backer of taking multiple shots to upgrade a position.

Especially like adding a high success level pick OT and a proven FA vet interior Olineman. I believe that we have a serious problem looming with our Oline going into 2018 and before any other need or want we HAVE to protect Trubisky. While a stud RB or WR can certainly help a young QB, without a good Oline your WR doesn't have time to get open or downfield and your RB doesn't have the holes to gain enough yards to keep your young QB out of consistent 3rd and longs. Throw in depth and keeping ex-Costco clerks from protecting Trubisky's blindside or from getting the center pushed into his throwing lane every down.

Upgrade the WR group for game 1 of the 2018 by adding a couple of dependable if not standout WR vets.

Throw a lot of assets at the defense so they can take the next step and start replacing aging vets with young talent BEFORE they fall off (any further in some cases) and not after.

Like the idea of adding a QB as A-QB get injured and you should assume your backup will start some games and B-never a bad thing to have 2 good QB's on the roster to try and do a New England and get some nice trade bait for the most important position in the NFL.

Use 2019 to find your elite and/or speed WR depth. We need to provide Trubisky more protection and targets in 2018  and not 2019 or 2020.

Very good overall. Your FA signings cover the glaring needs and the draft hammers the positions of youth needed. I'm not sure I don't use a higher pick on WR, (R2 , R3) and pick a SAM OLB later on. I would use the Thomas pick on a WR. This draft value appears pretty good in the R2, R3, R4 spot for WR. And not sure if I would use a lower pick on a TE, or QB. IMO we are set at TE and Trubisky should get all the reps to develop, so the addition of another young QB is not necessary. but again overall this is a great offseason.

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

I love this draft, my only concern is not drafting a WR a bit higher. Having Cam & Paul helps but we still don't have that elite WR we really need. 

does or has KC ever really had a elite WR? No the best WR in KC has been Jermey Maclin or Dewayne Bowe.  Unlike Flip who needs the 60 million dollar alshon Jeffery's of the NFL to be successful.  Nagy does it with speed guys who are usually 4th rounders

2 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

does or has KC ever really had a elite WR? No the best WR in KC has been Jermey Maclin or Dewayne Bowe.  Unlike Flip who needs the 60 million dollar alshon Jeffery's of the NFL to be successful.  Nagy does it with speed guys who are usually 4th rounders

I'd put Tyreek Hill above Maclin at thier bests, and he is gaining on Bowe IMO. Hill has a chance to become elite. 

I think better wording would have been " a legitimate number one receiver" rather than elite. KC absolutely has that in Hill.

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'd put Tyreek Hill above Maclin at thier bests, and he is gaining on Bowe IMO. Hill has a chance to become elite. 

I think better wording would have been " a legitimate number one receiver" rather than elite. KC absolutely has that in Hill.

Hill was a 5th rounder.  you don't have to spend top FA dollars or use high picks on WR in this offense. 

Nagy apparently is very good as an offensive evaluator, so he's going to help Pace revamp this WR corps I would think. After we cut Wheaton, the only dude on our roster is going to be Kevin White. FA, draft, trades, don't care how just get it done!

12 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yep agreed that is what I meant. I just have a concern on the limitations of this roster at WR and we could be in trouble if someone goes down again.

36 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Hill was a 5th rounder.  you don't have to spend top FA dollars or use high picks on WR in this offense. 

Hill had domestic violence charges and huge red flags during his draft season. That's why he fell to the 5th round. His talent and speed is #1 WR level.

35 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

@WindyCity how would a Calvin Ridley fit in a Nagy offense.  Good fit bad fit somewhere in between?

I ain't Windy but Ridley is way too thin and frankly not good enough for me to be able to draft him as high as 8th overall.  I think he's a late 1st/early 2nd value wise.

Archived