Panthers fire OC Mike Shula

marky mark

6 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Hard to blame him fo Newton's shortcomings and the garbage talent at WR

Shula's scheme is dreadful.  Even if you don't want to blame him for the passing game, there is no way you can look at our running game and not realize it is scheme related.  Stewart isn't the same guy he was in 2011, but he's still better than the production he had this year.  Same with McCaffrey.  Not to mention all 3 of our interior offensive lineman are Pro Bowl caliber.  Our run game stunk outside of Cam because he didn't know how to design a functional run scheme.  Too much misdirection.  Too much delays.  Stewart and McCaffrey were rarely given a chance to simply go downhill and often times were forced to make multiple guys miss just to get back to the LOS.

As far as the passing game goes, you can't blame Shula for the WRs, you are right.  But you can blame him for not doing a better job scheming around it.  He runs an Air Coryell offense that simply hasn't been working for years.  Even in 2015, it was overly-reliant on Cam Newton being perfect more often than not.  No QB is forced to make more throws in tight windows than Cam.  No QB is asked to throw downfield on a year-to-year basis as consistently as Cam.  This article by Football Outsiders does a good job detailing how much we ask Cam to do.  Simply put, Cam has carried this offense for years.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2018/film-room-cam-newton

Newton isn't perfect.  I know that.  But he's far better than the numbers show.  Shula runs an ancient "all-or-nothing" passing scheme and it's about time that he was fired.  

Offseason is off to a great start.

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Shula's scheme is dreadful.  Even if you don't want to blame him for the passing game, there is no way you can look at our running game and not realize it is scheme related.  Stewart isn't the same guy he was in 2011, but he's still better than the production he had this year.  Same with McCaffrey.  Not to mention all 3 of our interior offensive lineman are Pro Bowl caliber.  Our run game stunk outside of Cam because he didn't know how to design a functional run scheme.  Too much misdirection.  Too much delays.  Stewart and McCaffrey were rarely given a chance to simply go downhill and often times were forced to make multiple guys miss just to get back to the LOS.

As far as the passing game goes, you can't blame Shula for the WRs, you are right.  But you can blame him for not doing a better job scheming around it.  He runs an Air Coryell offense that simply hasn't been working for years.  Even in 2015, it was overly-reliant on Cam Newton being perfect more often than not.  No QB is forced to make more throws in tight windows than Cam.  No QB is asked to throw downfield on a year-to-year basis as consistently as Cam.  This article by Football Outsiders does a good job detailing how much we ask Cam to do.  Simply put, Cam has carried this offense for years.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2018/film-room-cam-newton

Newton isn't perfect.  I know that.  But he's far better than the numbers show.  Shula runs an ancient "all-or-nothing" passing scheme and it's about time that he was fired.  

Offseason is off to a great start.

1000% this. The run game was just painful outside of Newton and it's absolutely scheme. Stewart isn't a probowl back, but he can run. McCaffery clearly is talented af. The offensive line isn't spectacular, but especially in the middle they are very good. The fact that the RBs' average per rush was so bad is telling; it's a scheme thing. And if you know the limitations of your players (like recognizing you don't have the best tackles to maintain blocks), good coaching requires you adjust your playcalling and scheme so you're not just hucking it deep all the time when your line can't hold up to the pressure.

No creativity in the run gain. Completely predictable. Bad scheme. I am fully on board with this change.

2 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

No creativity in the run gain. Completely predictable. Bad scheme. I am fully on board with this change.

Until you get Norv Turner and get exactly those things you just complained about.  I feel bad for Panther fans if you guys end up with Norv...

3 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Until you get Norv Turner and get exactly those things you just complained about.  I feel bad for Panther fans if you guys end up with Norv...

He does add in a little bit.

Sometimes he will send a fullback in motion out wide and run a post route. Zach Line was great at doing it. Never got it thrown to him, but he ran the route.

55 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Shula’s complete lack of imagination in deploying McCaffrey and even Samuel made this a no brainer move.   

Norv Turner would be a fantastic hire...if this was 2002.   o.O

I was thinking something along this, as in these older coaches might not have adapted to the modern nfl as well as they could.  

Archived