Mid-Major Awards 2017-18

pf9

It's the end of the college football season. You know what that means. Time for my annual Mid-Major Awards, which honor the best of the best outside the power 5 conferences, honoring the best from:

American
C-USA
MAC
MWC
Sun Belt
Army
BYU
UMass

Randy Moss Award (for best offensive player)
Cedrick Wilson (WR), Boise State
With more receiving yards than any other G5 player, he was a key piece of BSU's first MWC championship team in 3 years

Joe Steffy Award (for best defensive player)
Jalen Young (S), Florida Atlantic
A key player on FAU's defense, he led the G5 in interceptions

Jason Elam Award (for best special teams player)
Marcus Jones (RS/CB), Troy
His ability to return kickoffs and punts cannot be denied. 4 touchdowns resulted from his returns.

Ben Roethlisberger Award (Player of the Year)
Riley Ferguson (QB), Memphis
He was the leader of one of the most potent offenses in the G5.

LaVell Edwards Award (Coach of the Year)
Lane Kiffin, Florida Atlantic
Having failed at several previous stops as a head coach, some wondered whether he would get another chance. FAU finally gave him one and he delivered the program's best season at the FBS level in return, ending with a win in their hometown bowl.

Ault-DeBerry Award (Mid-Major National Championship)
UCF Knights (13-0)
Despite their parade and everything, I stop just short of calling them the outright national champions. The mid-major national championship is enough for me. But let's put this achievement in perspective. Just 2 years ago they were winless. Now with their undefeated season, the Big 12 just might come calling if a school or 2 ends up leaving come 2026.

Archived