If Michael Bennett hits the Open Market, Is it possible the Chargers could be a fit?

chargerbuckeye

8 hours ago, chargerbuckeye said:

I am aware Bradley never got to coach Bennett, But Bradley runs the same system as Seattle. Is it possible Bennett may be intrigued by playing with Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram, and the rest of that defense if he hits the open market.

Unless he's willing to take a paycut to be a backup, we're pretty set at DE. I'm looking more at linebackers and DTs in FA.

25 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Unless he's willing to take a paycut to be a backup, we're pretty set at DE. I'm looking more at linebackers and DTs in FA.

He could conceivably play the 3-Tech and replace Liuget, but he's older than Liuget is and I wouldn't think this team would be wanting to take on deep (longer than 2-years) contracts of 30+ year old vets.  Given the depth of the DT class through the first 2-3 rounds of this draft class, the club is better off just drafting someone and having considerably more relative-low-cost viability at the position.

Just now, The LBC said:

He could conceivably play the 3-Tech and replace Liuget, but he's older than Liuget is and I wouldn't think this team would be wanting to take on deep (longer than 2-years) contracts of 30+ year old vets.  Given the depth of the DT class through the first 2-3 rounds of this draft class, the club is better off just drafting someone and having considerably more relative-low-cost viability at the position.

Yeah, I suddenly remembered that Bennett played at 3-Tech too. His scheme versatility makes him intriguing if it came at a cheaper price. But now starter money.

Just now, Xenos said:

Yeah, I suddenly remembered that Bennett played at 3-Tech too. His scheme versatility makes him intriguing if it came at a cheaper price. But now starter money.

He's still ultimately better at the 4-Tech role that Bosa normally plays.  I just feel like, honestly, you're getting slightly-below but considerably cheaper result out of bringing Philon back and continuing to rotate Palepoi and Rochell (who came on strong to close the season so another offseason of training and development could bring even more).

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

He's still ultimately better at the 4-Tech role that Bosa normally plays.  I just feel like, honestly, you're getting slightly-below but considerably cheaper result out of bringing Philon back and continuing to rotate Palepoi and Rochell (who came on strong to close the season so another offseason of training and development could bring even more).

Now the question is: Are any of the backups good enough to replace Liuget full time?

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

Now the question is: Are any of the backups good enough to replace Liuget full time?

Full-time?  No.  Philon could probably work in rotation with someone and that someone could be Rochell, but unless Rochell develops into something I don't know that he physically profiles out to be, I'm not sure that Liuget replacement is on the roster.

On 1/10/2018 at 2:21 AM, The LBC said:

Full-time?  No.  Philon could probably work in rotation with someone and that someone could be Rochell, but unless Rochell develops into something I don't know that he physically profiles out to be, I'm not sure that Liuget replacement is on the roster.

I'd be interested in a platoon of Square/Philon at that position.  Philon is already taking a lot of snaps.  But I still don't see why, even if he's a little overpaid, why Liuget has to go. Him and Philon make a great team at the 3T spot.

I think Rochelle is the backup 5T going into the future.  For a smaller guy, he's really good holding blocks, does the dirty work well and is really physical.  I think Palepoi is the one to go next year.

As for the topic, if anyone of the players ends up getting cut from the Seahawks, I think the most likely guy to be signed here would be Earl Thomas as a Boston replacement.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:59 AM, Duffman57 said:

I'd be interested in a platoon of Square/Philon at that position.  Philon is already taking a lot of snaps.  But I still don't see why, even if he's a little overpaid, why Liuget has to go. Him and Philon make a great team at the 3T spot.

I think Rochelle is the backup 5T going into the future.  For a smaller guy, he's really good holding blocks, does the dirty work well and is really physical.  I think Palepoi is the one to go next year.

As for the topic, if anyone of the players ends up getting cut from the Seahawks, I think the most likely guy to be signed here would be Earl Thomas as a Boston replacement.

Earl Thomas is the least likely to be cut and if he did get cut, he'd go to Dallas

• 3 weeks later...

Archived