Proposed Redshirt Reform

WeaponX

5 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Its essentially granting medical redshirts without injuries. I got no problem with him. It benefits the kid (5 free years of college instead of 4) which is quite rare so I see no reason to oppose it. 

I think the only limit I'd put on it is that the player can't play in a conference championship game, National Semi, or Championship game. I like the proposal for reasons of progression and teaching, but don't want to open it up so that great teams can game the system to potentially have a great player in 5 years of big games.

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

I think the only limit I'd put on it is that the player can't play in a conference championship game, National Semi, or Championship game. I like the proposal for reasons of progression and teaching, but don't want to open it up so that great teams can game the system to potentially have a great player in 5 years of big games.

I agree with this. I think it would also be nice for teams to be able to play guys in bowl games without burning redshirts. That might have helped Michigan a little this year just in terms of getting the young guys some game reps for next year.

6 hours ago, RollEagles said:

I agree with this. I think it would also be nice for teams to be able to play guys in bowl games without burning redshirts. That might have helped Michigan a little this year just in terms of getting the young guys some game reps for next year.

Nothing was going to help Michigan...

the biggest reform or immediate one is the bowl game. Anyone should be able to play without it ruining redshirt status. It make for more entertaining games. A lot of upper classmen and legit underclass players don’t always take it very serious. You allow those redshirt guys to play, gonna lead to better games. It’s no longer about getting hurt but it’s now about showing the coaches what they did all year has paid off and now auditioning for legit PT for the following season. I also known redshirt really takes a lot out of a guy. Prolly leads to a couple of transfers because they go into thinking they will play but have to sit the whole year. It allows them to reap a reward from practicing all year. Helps they get the bowl game swag too. 

12 hours ago, mse326 said:

This sounds good, but I'd probably say more like 3 games, 4 just seems too high to me.  Maybe 3 games but not include any bowl game in those 3 outside of the playoff.

12 hours ago, mse326 said:

Agreed. 4 is more than enough too. I think 3 is a good magic number like @THE DUKE said.

8 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

4 does seem a bit high. 

Also, if a player is “great” is there anyway they stay for all 5 seasons anyway? Great players barely stay 3 as is. @mse326

Only if they are also great by NFL standards. A great college player can have no or very little pro prospects. Others are prospects only with a position change. It may not happen often, but there is no reason to even allow the possibility.

3 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

4 does seem a bit high. 

Also, if a player is “great” is there anyway they stay for all 5 seasons anyway? Great players barely stay 3 as is. @mse326

Its not only about "great" sometimes it could come down to injuries at a position a team lacks depth at. Anytime a team has to choose between playing the best talent or keeping their redshirt its bad for the product. 

Archived