Gruden's Staff

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

how do you guys feel about the coordinators?  I'm all on  board with Gruden

So far so good. Gruden said he's calling the plays on offense so no worries about Olson's dink and dunk shenanigans, I think he'll just be the QB coach slash offensive assistant. My big question right now is who our O-line coach is going to be and is he going to run a power or zone scheme (hoping for the former).

Edit: Probably unfair of me to call out Olson like that when Carr was a freshman or sophomore QB during his short tenure before and doing the dink and dunk thing, but i'm definitely all about Gruden calling the shots on offense.

10 minutes ago, SuedeStonn said:

So far so good. Gruden said he's calling the plays on offense so no worries about Olson's dink and dunk shenanigans, I think he'll just be the QB coach slash offensive assistant. My big question right now is who our O-line coach is going to be and is he going to run a power or zone scheme (hoping for the former).

Edit: Probably unfair of me to call out Olson like that when Carr was a freshman or sophomore QB during his short tenure before and doing the dink and dunk thing, but i'm definitely all about Gruden calling the shots on offense.

we have one of the better Olines and they are maulers... Would not do justice to them to make them go away from their strength and play zone which is better for faster more mobile blockers.

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

we have one of the better Olines and they are maulers... Would not do justice to them to make them go away from their strength and play zone which is better for faster more mobile blockers.

I was under the impression we employed a zone scheme this past year to accommodate Marshawn Lynch. I think we would be better served going back to a power game as well, if Lynch doesn't like it he can walk.

I didn't pay schemes much attention back when Gruden was HC but it sure seemed like a power running game, especially at the goalline with Crockett and Ritchie... hope he instills that mindset in the O-line and RBs, the "We're bigger and badder and you can't stop us." mentality.

10 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

how do you guys feel about the coordinators?  I'm all on  board with Gruden

I'm trying to be optimistic but taking my rose tinted glasses off for a moment I'd have to say Guenther is a little uninspiring to me. He's not been bad but he's had great rushers in Atkins and Dunlap to work with in Cincinnati and a good defensive squad and they've been about where you expect them to be, so he hasn't elevated them IMO. He doesn't have and Atkins here and he's been a pretty basic 4 man rush 4-3 guy so I'm not sure how we'll increase pressure without exotic blitzing (unless the plan is to draft a top pass rush prospect). Personally I'd really like to see us use a base 3-4 as I think it would allow Mack to dominate and play to our current guys strengths so overall i'm still to be convinced.

Greg Olsen was pretty reviled when he was here last - now he's coming back with Gruden and apparently it's a good hire? I'm not so sure, he's pretty average as he was when he was last here so I assume Gruden takes playcalling responsibilities and that leaves Olsen as a glorified QB coach, he has worked with Carr before and some credit him with the improvement in Carr's play from 1st to 2nd year, hard to in Jax whether he did a good job tell as Bortles is just terrible, though he did ahave a decent year under Olsen. Realistically, the offence ogoes as Carr goes so if we can get him back on track there should be at least the semblance of the 2016 offence. One thing is for sure, it can't be worse than the 2017 version!

Bisaccia on STs I think is a good hire, had good units everywhere he's been and knows Gruden long term, we have a St ace in Patterson so it will be very interesting to see how we can get the best out of him.

One thing is for sure, we've now placed all our eggs in the great big Gruden basket so whether we like it or not we'll have to hold on for the ride O.o

Pretty solid staff thus far with the Cincy pairing. I feel better about the Olson rehiring. He did call a few solid games in his first stint and actually had Bortles playing well his first year with him in Jacksonville. He'll work closely with Chucky and adapt.

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I'm trying to be optimistic but taking my rose tinted glasses off for a moment I'd have to say Guenther is a little uninspiring to me. He's not been bad but he's had great rushers in Atkins and Dunlap to work with in Cincinnati and a good defensive squad and they've been about where you expect them to be, so he hasn't elevated them IMO. He doesn't have and Atkins here and he's been a pretty basic 4 man rush 4-3 guy so I'm not sure how we'll increase pressure without exotic blitzing (unless the plan is to draft a top pass rush prospect). Personally I'd really like to see us use a base 3-4 as I think it would allow Mack to dominate and play to our current guys strengths so overall i'm still to be convinced.

Greg Olsen was pretty reviled when he was here last - now he's coming back with Gruden and apparently it's a good hire? I'm not so sure, he's pretty average as he was when he was last here so I assume Gruden takes playcalling responsibilities and that leaves Olsen as a glorified QB coach, he has worked with Carr before and some credit him with the improvement in Carr's play from 1st to 2nd year, hard to in Jax whether he did a good job tell as Bortles is just terrible, though he did ahave a decent year under Olsen. Realistically, the offence ogoes as Carr goes so if we can get him back on track there should be at least the semblance of the 2016 offence. One thing is for sure, it can't be worse than the 2017 version!

Bisaccia on STs I think is a good hire, had good units everywhere he's been and knows Gruden long term, we have a St ace in Patterson so it will be very interesting to see how we can get the best out of him.

One thing is for sure, we've now placed all our eggs in the great big Gruden basket so whether we like it or not we'll have to hold on for the ride O.o

I was thinking the same, Olson being a glorified QB coach with Gruden really overseeing the offense, makes one wonder if we'll even hire a QB coach. 

I think overall the coaching staff will improve dramatically but I wanted to keep Pagano around.  Guenther will put together a defense that will not lose games for us but will not win games for us either.  Everything will come down to what Gruden's offense can do and I think Chucky wants it that way. 

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think overall the coaching staff will improve dramatically but I wanted to keep Pagano around.  Guenther will put together a defense that will not lose games for us but will not win games for us either.  Everything will come down to what Gruden's offense can do and I think Chucky wants it that way. 

Respect the opinion and understand where it comes from but I think we should reserve judgement on the defense that Guenther will run til he has installed it. He and Gruden may have something very different in mind than what was run in Cinny or the personal may dictate a different scheme.

Just now, NightTrainLane said:

Respect the opinion and understand where it comes from but I think we should reserve judgement on the defense that Guenther will run til he has installed it. He and Gruden may have something very different in mind than what was run in Cinny or the personal may dictate a different scheme.

My understanding is Guenther has some really nice blitz scheme akin to Zimmer's influence. Sounds if Marvin Lewis dictates a lot of how the defense will be run and how the rotation works as far the players. 

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/1/10/16874748/several-jack-del-rio-assistants-expected-to-return-raiders-under-jon-gruden

Apparently these positional coaches are expected back:

• Tight ends coach Bobby Johnson
  • Safeties coach Brent Vieselmeyer
  • Outside Linebackers coach Travis Smith
  • Assistant wide receivers coach Nick Holz
  • Assistant Offensive Line Coach Tim Holt

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Agreed both Olsen and Guenther are pretty uninspiring choices.

At least Gruden is calling the plays so Olsen will only be QB coach.

Gruden in his presser referred to liking the Bengals D line ‘getting up the field’ so you have to assume he’s wanting an attacking style of defense. That will have some bearing on our off season acquisitions you would think.

48 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

My understanding is Guenther has some really nice blitz scheme akin to Zimmer's influence. Sounds if Marvin Lewis dictates a lot of how the defense will be run and how the rotation works as far the players. 

That is how I saw it too. We still don't know. The waiting 4mos part for FA and the draft is gonna be killer with speculations and assumptions.

Watching a show called 'Happy Hour', Papa just said Gannon was being interviewed right now... honestly couldn't tell if Papa was joking or serious, but since the other two didn't laugh i'll take it as serious. Whether joking or serious I definitely think Gannon is in the running for QB coach, and i'm all for it. Gruden is going to dump a ton of work on Carr and Gannon, imo the guy who best executed Gruden's offense, can really help Carr. (And if we're lucky teach Carr how to put his feet up players ***** when they're screwing up.)

Archived