Gruden's Staff

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

Seems like a certain portion hates him because they think he’s a hater when broadcasting. I guess they expect butt kissing during his games. 

No. It's because he's a hothead with an extreme attention to detail. With Gruden being that style, I don't think having multiple of those types chriping into a QBs ear is the best idea. Furthermore he has ZERO experience as a QB Coach.

10 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I'm trying to be optimistic but taking my rose tinted glasses off for a moment I'd have to say Guenther is a little uninspiring to me. He's not been bad but he's had great rushers in Atkins and Dunlap to work with in Cincinnati and a good defensive squad and they've been about where you expect them to be, so he hasn't elevated them IMO. He doesn't have and Atkins here and he's been a pretty basic 4 man rush 4-3 guy so I'm not sure how we'll increase pressure without exotic blitzing (unless the plan is to draft a top pass rush prospect). Personally I'd really like to see us use a base 3-4 as I think it would allow Mack to dominate and play to our current guys strengths so overall i'm still to be convinced.

Greg Olsen was pretty reviled when he was here last - now he's coming back with Gruden and apparently it's a good hire? I'm not so sure, he's pretty average as he was when he was last here so I assume Gruden takes playcalling responsibilities and that leaves Olsen as a glorified QB coach, he has worked with Carr before and some credit him with the improvement in Carr's play from 1st to 2nd year, hard to in Jax whether he did a good job tell as Bortles is just terrible, though he did ahave a decent year under Olsen. Realistically, the offence ogoes as Carr goes so if we can get him back on track there should be at least the semblance of the 2016 offence. One thing is for sure, it can't be worse than the 2017 version!

Bisaccia on STs I think is a good hire, had good units everywhere he's been and knows Gruden long term, we have a St ace in Patterson so it will be very interesting to see how we can get the best out of him.

One thing is for sure, we've now placed all our eggs in the great big Gruden basket so whether we like it or not we'll have to hold on for the ride O.o

I'm in total agreement on the DC, it's uninspiring. Just thank god it's not Norton bad. But... a Wade Phillips isn't readily available yearly. Just have to take that into account. 

As for Olson, I disagree. Gruden is obviously heavily involved in the offense and IS the de facto OC. You cannot expect a top young or experienced OC to want to coach under someone else calling the shots. It's quite possibly why Morton didn't come. No top OC will ever take the job under Gruden in my mind. Olson is fine for being a second set of eyes for Gruden and a familiar and experienced guy who Carr grew up nicely with. He may not be a top OC in any version of reality, but he is the right guy in my mind.

There was alot of talk recently about Gruden putting together a "super staff". Between these guys, the 5 coaches they are keeping, the other additions and rumors, I'm not seeing that materializing. Especially when we lose out on guys like Eliot Wolf and Teryl Austin. Then again, you really don't want a group of guys looking to leave for promotions as soon as possible either.

38 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

No. It's because he's a hothead with an extreme attention to detail. With Gruden being that style, I don't think having multiple of those types chriping into a QBs ear is the best idea. Furthermore he has ZERO experience as a QB Coach.

I wasn’t referring to you specifically  mostly “Social Media “ Raider nation. That’s a very valid point too many cooks in the kitchen 

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

My understanding is Guenther has some really nice blitz scheme akin to Zimmer's influence. Sounds if Marvin Lewis dictates a lot of how the defense will be run and how the rotation works as far the players. 

Also I remember Grudens first yr in Tampa. He was asked about how good the D was. He said he challenged them to be EVEN more aggressive. He said he told them he didn' see where they were that good if they were not putting points on the board. Or somehing like that. In turn the Tampa D actually improved and got more turn overs. I think Gruden wants an attacking ball hawking D. If for no other reason than to get more shots on O. So far I really have nothing to complain about. Ollie it seems is there to help the install and terminology as well as help out DC. ST should be in very good hands. And there is no way the D could be worse than Norton. Also I'm really interested to see the O. I think the Gruden O will make the Musgrave O look like the Downing O.

Im with darbsk. Olson was very much disliked around these parts last time around. However I'm ok with this hiring, because I know gruden will be in the office from 4am till 10pm working on the offense and calling plays. Olson will be a motivator, the accountability piece to grudens scheme. He'll be around to be the good cop to Carr to grudens bad cop, and will make sure the offense is doing what gruden wants when he isn't around. I doubt Olson will have the power or autonomy that he did last time he was here, designing and running the offense all by himself.  

Im ok with out DC, because we paired him with cincys LB coach, and we desperately need help with our LBs, they did a fantastic job at Cincy with LBs. Not really thrilled, but I can be hopeful. It's not a bad hire and they are all veterans, which is what I've been hoping for. 

12 hours ago, holyghost said:
23 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I'm trying to be optimistic but taking my rose tinted glasses off for a moment I'd have to say Guenther is a little uninspiring to me. He's not been bad but he's had great rushers in Atkins and Dunlap to work with in Cincinnati and a good defensive squad and they've been about where you expect them to be, so he hasn't elevated them IMO. He doesn't have and Atkins here and he's been a pretty basic 4 man rush 4-3 guy so I'm not sure how we'll increase pressure without exotic blitzing (unless the plan is to draft a top pass rush prospect). Personally I'd really like to see us use a base 3-4 as I think it would allow Mack to dominate and play to our current guys strengths so overall i'm still to be convinced.

Greg Olsen was pretty reviled when he was here last - now he's coming back with Gruden and apparently it's a good hire? I'm not so sure, he's pretty average as he was when he was last here so I assume Gruden takes playcalling responsibilities and that leaves Olsen as a glorified QB coach, he has worked with Carr before and some credit him with the improvement in Carr's play from 1st to 2nd year, hard to in Jax whether he did a good job tell as Bortles is just terrible, though he did ahave a decent year under Olsen. Realistically, the offence ogoes as Carr goes so if we can get him back on track there should be at least the semblance of the 2016 offence. One thing is for sure, it can't be worse than the 2017 version!

Bisaccia on STs I think is a good hire, had good units everywhere he's been and knows Gruden long term, we have a St ace in Patterson so it will be very interesting to see how we can get the best out of him.

One thing is for sure, we've now placed all our eggs in the great big Gruden basket so whether we like it or not we'll have to hold on for the ride O.o

I'm in total agreement on the DC, it's uninspiring. Just thank god it's not Norton bad. But... a Wade Phillips isn't readily available yearly. Just have to take that into account. 

As for Olson, I disagree. Gruden is obviously heavily involved in the offense and IS the de facto OC. You cannot expect a top young or experienced OC to want to coach under someone else calling the shots. It's quite possibly why Morton didn't come. No top OC will ever take the job under Gruden in my mind. Olson is fine for being a second set of eyes for Gruden and a familiar and experienced guy who Carr grew up nicely with. He may not be a top OC in any version of reality, but he is the right guy in my mind.

There was alot of talk recently about Gruden putting together a "super staff". Between these guys, the 5 coaches they are keeping, the other additions and rumors, I'm not seeing that materializing. Especially when we lose out on guys like Eliot Wolf and Teryl Austin. Then again, you really don't want a group of guys looking to leave for promotions as soon as possible either.

You raise a very good point, Olsen probably won't be the play calling OC and under Gruden that does limit our options severely. However, I still think I would have liked a 3-4 guy as DC and someone who plays tight bump and run coverage and is known for creative blitzing..........it just so happens that we already had a guy like that here in Pagano! Now, obviously he might not have wanted to work under Gruden or possibly he's going for a HC jobor better opportunity with more control someplace else but it just seems quite vanilla to me as they say. I imagine the very prescense and personality of Gruden could be a hindrance in finding coordinators who have bigger aspirations.

I read somewhere that Marvin Lewis was a big reason Guether played that conservative.

I also read that Gruden asked Kiffin when he arrived in Tampa, to be more aggressive on D.

I also read that Guenther worked on pressure packages under Zimmer when he was his LB coach.

So I think there is a really good chance that PG will run a more aggressive scheme under Gruden then he did under Lewis.

He won't have Geno Atkins, so he will be forced to blitz or/and be creative with the pressure packages.

We saw how much of a difference Pagano meant after Norton. Right now I think/hope that PG will put a pretty aggressive 4-3 D on the field.

I expect us to move from the 2 gap DL play towards a 1 gap, think less, play faster system.

I think that could free up and benefit guys like Edwards, Vanderdoes, Hester, Ward along the DL...

With that said we still badly need a disruptive DT IMO. 

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

With that said we still badly need a disruptive DT IMO. 

This isn't directed at you per say, I just find it funny how everyone is always saying this. There are literally a handful of these guys in the NFL. I don't get why fans continue to act as if you can just find find these guys. Yes.... it would be nice to have a disruptive DT. A lot of teams would love that luxury. These guys are hard to find however.

Archived