Gruden's Staff

RaidersAreOne

48 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This isn't directed at you per say, I just find it funny how everyone is always saying this. There are literally a handful of these guys in the NFL. I don't get why fans continue to act as if you can just find find these guys. Yes.... it would be nice to have a disruptive DT. A lot of teams would love that luxury. These guys are hard to find however.

Because they are hard to find, doesn't mean we should never look?

That makes literally no sense.

Interesting to see Pep Hamiltons name linked to our QB coach position. He was a very hot commodity a few years ago, even linked to some HC jobs but he's cooled off since then. His Michigan offense/passing attack was pretty abysmal this year but his QB situation was less than ideal so I give him a little slack there. 

Does Gruden have a link to him? I'd be all for it and am glad that Gannon isn't coming on board. Good player, don't want his first coaching experience to be here. Would like to explore this Pep idea a little more. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This isn't directed at you per say, I just find it funny how everyone is always saying this. There are literally a handful of these guys in the NFL. I don't get why fans continue to act as if you can just find find these guys. Yes.... it would be nice to have a disruptive DT. A lot of teams would love that luxury. These guys are hard to find however.

We definitely need a lot more interior pressure. How many sacks did we get from our base DTs this season? A disruptive DT doesn't have to be at Aaron Donald's level. Someone who could get 6 to 8 sacks would make a huge difference. The Michigan guy could be an option.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Bolt/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Football-Secondary-coach-Derrick-Ansley-to-join-Oakland-Raiders-staff-in-same-role-113557127

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/11/derrick-ansley-colorado-state-rams-football-raiders-defensive-coordinator/

Raiders hire Derrick Ansley to coach DB's. Really like this hire from what I've read so far. Younger guy, previous safety at Troy. Has coached DB's at various colleges but most recently was the DB coach at Alabama. Now obviously Saban has a HUGE hand in the DB's there but anytime we can get a guy that's worked hand in hand with Saban at a position that Bama churns out studs at like DB im all for it. 

Ansley was actually set to be the defensive coordinator for Colorado State and we stole him away. Liking these moves so far! Sorry if this has been posted already, this thread blew up since I last checked it. 

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Because they are hard to find, doesn't mean we should never look?

That makes literally no sense.

Nobody is saying don't address the position. It's just been years of "we need a disruptive DT" talk in here as if it's being ignored. It's not being ignored. They are drafting the position, it's just hard to find those handful of guys so fans devalue the DTs the team has. 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Nobody is saying don't address the position. It's just been years of "we need a disruptive DT" talk in here as if it's being ignored. It's not being ignored. They are drafting the position, it's just hard to find those handful of guys so fans devalue the DTs the team has. 

As you say, yes, they have addressed the position. I think they are just hoping for someone new or one of the guys that we have to be more of an impact. Not illogical or annoying to want something that literally causes the most disruption to opposing offenses.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Sure it is hard to find them!

But if we could that would free up PG, Mack and the rest! Would be big! As you said...

2 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

hard to have an opinion one way or another for a guy coaching a fossil running back. not sure how he "impressed" or whateveer

Marlon Mack? Plus those who say he impressed are probably looking at more than just his RB stats. They probably know how he actually coached

13 minutes ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Marlon Mack? Plus those who say he impressed are probably looking at more than just his RB stats. They probably know how he actually coached

i also remember hearing about how greg knapp was "respected in league circles" when we brought him back a 2nd time.

you just have to take to word of anonymous people who are "impressed."

im not saying he's good or bad, but we as fans dont have anything to go by to determine if we should be pleased or displeased with the hire. usually with position coaches, you look for a track record of players developed. marlon mack didnt do much as a rookie with limited opportunities and its not like frank gore was "developed"

before that he was in the college ranks with some good programs tho

On 1/11/2018 at 8:27 AM, big_palooka said:

Hmm depends on how you define disruptive I suppose. To me, that just means DTs that have to be accounted for and can win one on one matchups somewhat consistently when Mack draws doubles. Seems like a somewhat low bar but we haven't even had that in years

2 hours ago, StocktonSav said:

Hmm depends on how you define disruptive I suppose. To me, that just means DTs that have to be accounted for and can win one on one matchups somewhat consistently when Mack draws doubles. Seems like a somewhat low bar but we haven't even had that in years

We have tried to draft DT's but it has not worked out.  When was the last time we brought in a stud DT FA to even talk to.  I hope MEJ develops but I do not have much faith in the others.  Just imagine Linval Joseph in the middle next MEJ with Mack and Irvin on the edges.  You would need to run two TE packages the entire game as long as KNJ is not the DC.

Archived