Gruden's Staff

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

We have tried to draft DT's but it has not worked out.  When was the last time we brought in a stud DT FA to even talk to.  I hope MEJ develops but I do not have much faith in the others.  Just imagine Linval Joseph in the middle next MEJ with Mack and Irvin on the edges.  You would need to run two TE packages the entire game as long as KNJ is not the DC.

My buddy that I watch football with is a huge Vikes fan, so I've watched every game this season. I cannot stress enough how much I want a guy like him on the Raiders. If one of those DTs (Vea, Payne) is deemed to be in his ballpark as a player, in terms of toughness and athleticism, then sign me up at pick 9/10.

As for the topic at hand: I think Edgar Bennett should be a fine addition as WR coach. He did some good work with Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, etc. Might not have worked out well for him as OC, but he was dealt a tough hand in '17, and McCarthy wanted him back as a WR coach. Feel like this staff will have a nice mixture of experience at the coordinator positions and smart guys with potential as position coaches. I also like that the offensive staff is coming from different places that have similar philosophies. Should bring diversity without being too much of a Frankenstein's monster. Nice balance.

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

We have tried to draft DT's but it has not worked out.  When was the last time we brought in a stud DT FA to even talk to.  I hope MEJ develops but I do not have much faith in the others.  Just imagine Linval Joseph in the middle next MEJ with Mack and Irvin on the edges.  You would need to run two TE packages the entire game as long as KNJ is not the DC.

For one, no we haven't. Ellis and Vanderdoes are the only dts Reggies drafted that I can think of. Hardly a large enough sample size to say we've tried. Neither MEJ or Ward were true DTs although they played time there.

I hear what you're saying about a FA but really how often do stud DTs become aavailable on the market. Moreover, of the ones that do, how many teams regret the massive overpay within 2 years.

After a season out of football, Jim O’Neil is back and will be joining Jon Gruden’s staff in Oakland. The former Defensive Coordinator with experience coaching defensive backs and linebackers is said to be joining the team with the title of Senior Defensive Assistant, according to Adam Caplan.

Apparently he is a BIG blitzer.

15 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Not stoked about this. 

Ive seen a few people express displeasure for this potential hire and I'm curious as to why exactly. Is it his prior stint? SEAs oline failings? From what I understand, Cable is highly regarded as an oline coach, no?

Just now, StocktonSav said:

Ive seen a few people express displeasure for this potential hire and I'm curious as to why exactly. Is it his prior stint? SEAs oline failings? From what I understand, Cable is highly regarded as an oline coach, no?

Hawks OL stinks? Lol terrible hire!!!! That’s fans for you. 

His personnel and injuries did him no favors but he has always been a very good OL coach. Personnel decisions I’ve heard aren’t the best, but I doubt he will have much say, plus most of the OL is set for years anyway. 

Is he a ZBS Guy? 

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Not stoked about this. 

VoJbV_s-200x150.gif

1 minute ago, StocktonSav said:

YES. YES. NO.

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Pure ZBS guys.... Raidernation is going to lose it lol.

All the reasons listed above are why I am disappointed in this hire, especially this one. We have absolute maulers on the interior and ave proven to be best when in a PBS. We saw last year how implementing more ZBS hurt us, and now we go to a dude known for heavy ZBS. Doesn't make much sense to me.

27 minutes ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Hawks OL stinks? Lol terrible hire!!!! That’s fans for you. 

His personnel and injuries did him no favors but he has always been a very good OL coach. Personnel decisions I’ve heard aren’t the best, but I doubt he will have much say, plus most of the OL is set for years anyway. 

Is he a ZBS Guy? 

Ok...

I've talked myself off the ledge and tried to see where this could be going and found this article that may help show where Cable wants to go with his scheme and what his scheme actually is...

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/4/18/2954139/on-tom-cable-and-the-offensive-lines-identity

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/27/3187907/on-tom-cable-and-the-offensive-lines-identity-part-ii

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/11/15/3647910/zone-blocking-scheme-seahawks-tom-cable-marshawn-lynch

A zone blocking scheme is necessary for the west coast offense Gruden is going to implement. Shouldn’t come as a surprise.

From Cable’s previous stint coaching the Raiders offensive line, we should feel confident that we’re getting one of the best coaches for this scheme. Working with mediocre talent like Gallery, Carlisle, Barnes, Satele, Walker, etc, the Raiders actually had a strong run blocking line. 

Our offensive line is more then talented enough to dominate  in this blocking scheme imo

Archived