Gruden's Staff

RaidersAreOne

I honestly dislike it. Too many question marks here. 

However:

If Gruden can get Cable in line - that means keeping him a hundred miles away from 1. Personnel choices (draft and FA influence) and 2. Scheme decisions (that means ZBS vs. PBS design and use within the offense), then I can see how it could actually work well.

Cable is a good coach. Clearly a terrible talent evaluator. Any player he stumped for at any stop for was ultimately at best a decent reclamation or an average player, and never great. And if left to choose he will clearly bias his version of ZBS. Which also has proven no particular merit or value.

But if Gruden can bring him in to coach and teach and offer no decision making power whatsoever, he can be a good versatile coach. Good motivator too. It all really depends on how much decision power comes with the position. I'm incredibly wary of this one. 

13 minutes ago, Darkness said:

A zone blocking scheme is necessary for the west coast offense Gruden is going to implement. Shouldn’t come as a surprise.

From Cable’s previous stint coaching the Raiders offensive line, we should feel confident that we’re getting one of the best coaches for this scheme. Working with mediocre talent like Gallery, Carlisle, Barnes, Satele, Walker, etc, the Raiders actually had a strong run blocking line. 

Our offensive line is more then talented enough to dominate  in this blocking scheme imo

Confused about the hire but it did work in 2007 turned Justin Fargas into 1000 yard rusher 

KO is such a ridiculously good fit for Tom Cable's ZBS system it isn't funny. ZBS doesn't mean you can't maul. It means you are a plus athlete that can create movement in your area of responsibility to create holes for a one cut back. KO can hustle and blow up a defender in his AOR. Gabe Jackson is the only one I am not sure how he transitions because he is so good at the man handling in the telephone booth type plays I can't recollect his ability to maul on the move. The tackles still operate similarly to before (they just have to identify blitzes more in ZBS as it's who is in the area v. who is directly in front of you) and it's rare to have a tackle pull. Hudson was a top center in KC's ZBS. I like this hire and it would be a shame to not get a talented OL coach after having Tice.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Not stoked about this. 

This gif is a cliché but this is the perfect use case:

giphy.webp

WHY in the blue HELL are we hiring a ZBS guy who CONSTANTLY fields horrible offensive lines? I know Seattle isn't always working with cream of the crop talent for OL, but Russell Wilson is always running for his life.  Gabe Jackson simply is not that kind of lineman and clearly we've invested a lot in him.  KO is a better athlete but I still have my reservations. I hope to hell we aren't doing this for Marshawn Lynch because he has a year or 2 at most before you stick a fork in him.  Not to mention a me-first player.

1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

Confused about the hire but it did work in 2007 turned Justin Fargas into 1000 yard rusher 

Yeah because he was a good fit.  If I'm guessing: Richard is gone.  He and Wash couldn't read the blocks well enough this past season plus he kept putting the ball on the ground.  I'd bet on us trying to get some new backs on the cheap again.  I haven't fully started looking into prospects yet, but I am aware of some talented RBs poised to come of the board early this year.  Don't know details about them but if they can read zone blocks like a Dalvin Cook kind of style, I could see us nabbing one to help shoulder the offensive load.

3 hours ago, Darkness said:

A zone blocking scheme is necessary for the west coast offense Gruden is going to implement. Shouldn’t come as a surprise.

From Cable’s previous stint coaching the Raiders offensive line, we should feel confident that we’re getting one of the best coaches for this scheme. Working with mediocre talent like Gallery, Carlisle, Barnes, Satele, Walker, etc, the Raiders actually had a strong run blocking line. 

Our offensive line is more then talented enough to dominate  in this blocking scheme imo

Agree with this.

Those saying guys can't maul run blocking in a ZB scheme make me laugh my arse off.  Its still run blocking, if you aren't getting nasty and 'gaining ground' then you are doing it horribly wrong.

Watch film of our OL the last two years, watch the interior line and how they move and get down field.  They have the size of gap or power blockong scheme guys but they can move. 

Last couple years in Seattle their OL was terrible, but look at what Cable was working with?  Last three years their fans have been screaming for OL help in FA and Draft & all three years they did very little.  Throw in an injury or two and Cable found himself working with arguably the worst OL group in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, Boltz79 said:

Last couple years in Seattle their OL was terrible, but look at what Cable was working with?  Last three years their fans have been screaming for OL help in FA and Draft & all three years they did very little.  Throw in an injury or two and Cable found himself working with arguably the worst OL group in the NFL.

They had 3 former first round picks and two second rounders on their line this year.

Cable definitely needs to repair his image. Everyone thinks he's trash. 

26 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

They had 3 former first round picks and two second rounders on their line this year.

Cable definitely needs to repair his image. Everyone thinks he's trash. 

That's a little misleading. Only one was actually drafted by them. Joeckels draft position, by another team no less, is not indicative of his skill. Brown didnt come over until about halfway through the season was actually solid for them. 

Not defending cable but facts taken out of context aren't necessary to effectovcely criticize 

Penn is gonna suck in zbs. He can barely move as is. Gabe isnt very athletic in my opinion. I don't think he will sink in a zbs. But he isnt a typical zbs guard. I think we are in the same boat if we stuck with pbs as far as personnel go. Looking at who our 2 tackles are going to be for the future. And finding a center to get ready to replace Hudson soon. 

5 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Penn is gonna suck in zbs. He can barely move as is. Gabe isnt very athletic in my opinion. I don't think he will sink in a zbs. But he isnt a typical zbs guard. I think we are in the same boat if we stuck with pbs as far as personnel go. Looking at who our 2 tackles are going to be for the future. And finding a center to get ready to replace Hudson soon. 

Yeah Penn is Donezeo-Ferrari.  I can't see Sharpe doing very well either in that kind of scheme.  Maybe Jylan Ware gets valued a bit more as depth now though depending how he has progressed.

Gabe....we'll see...I think they give him a shot because of past success and his contract.  Wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a guard in the mid to late rounds just in case.

I don't understand Hudson comment though.  He can play ZBS, is arguably our best lineman, and is only 28.

Avg o-line weight

2001 - 316 lbs

2002 - 322 lbs

2017 - 327 lbs

It should not be a huge deal if Gruden is going to want the lineman to do similar things.  Our linemen might actually be more athletic then what we use to have.  As S&B88 stated before Penn is probably going to have a problem.

Archived