Gruden's Staff

RaidersAreOne

16 hours ago, StocktonSav said:

For one, no we haven't. Ellis and Vanderdoes are the only dts Reggies drafted that I can think of. Hardly a large enough sample size to say we've tried. Neither MEJ or Ward were true DTs although they played time there.

I hear what you're saying about a FA but really how often do stud DTs become aavailable on the market. Moreover, of the ones that do, how many teams regret the massive overpay within 2 years.

As far as I am concerned we need talent in the interior d-line so yes that does include MEJ and Ward.  Eddie Van (6'3" 305)and Ward (6'5" 297, two years ago at the combine) are pretty much the same size.  Mej is undersized and more of a base DE but kicks inside on passing downs.  So yes I see both as DTs and that makes 2 2nd rounders, 1 3rd rounder and 1 4th rounder.  As for DT FA the last two years had Poe, Hankins, Logan, Williams, Williams, Jackson, Harrison, and Mebane.  All of which would have been better than what we had.  Not to say we could have signed any of them but which ones did we even attempt to sign?  A few of them stayed on the market for a while.  This year there are a few that I like but will we try?  

disheartening hire. i mean sure maybe it all works out (in gruden we trust?) but rationalizing cable at this point is fruitless

this reminds me when JDR was announced and there were some super exciting names as possible DC (mike smith) and we ended up getting some position coach who had never coordinated in his life. and he failed miserably

45 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

disheartening hire. i mean sure maybe it all works out (in gruden we trust?) but rationalizing cable at this point is fruitless

this reminds me when JDR was announced and there were some super exciting names as possible DC (mike smith) and we ended up getting some position coach who had never coordinated in his life. and he failed miserably

It has no resemblance to that at all IMO.

Cable may have been had a bumpy past but in a system that works and with All pros I'm not worried. Once again, his system is a ZBS but it's made for big athletic guys like we have and who I have a feeling we'll add more of in the off-season.

52 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

i wonder if this was your sentiment when we snagged mike tice

I don't recall feeling anything when Mike Tice joined the team. Signing Osemele, Penn, and Hudson and drafting Gabe Jackson had 1000x more impact.

5 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

I don’t see how that’s similar 

4 hours ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

I don’t see how that’s similar 

its similar because there is a letdown... we were excited by JDR's staff possibilities only to end up with KNJ as one of the coordinators.

when Gruden was named, we were hearing some amazing names being thrown around as staff options, and we have some letdowns like olson (i'm neutral on that one) and cable

52 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

its similar because there is a letdown... we were excited by JDR's staff possibilities only to end up with KNJ as one of the coordinators.

when Gruden was named, we were hearing some amazing names being thrown around as staff options, and we have some letdowns like olson (i'm neutral on that one) and cable

But if you analyze it closer, it really shouldn't be a let down.

I get the ZBS. I mean it seems like this was Gruden's plan all along...I just don't get this Cable hiring...why not Goodwin or someone else? Can't really see why Cable is so good that we skipped the remaining OL interviews and went all in for him.

Maybe Tim Holt will try to keep the pass protection scheme while Cable works on the run blocking?

lol... hilarious stuff here. Gruden hires Cable and fans actually think the Oline is going to suck now and want to us Seattle's production on Oline's as why?

The Raider have KO, Hudson and Jackson on this line. These guys are not just going to become awful now lol. 

Way to much gets made out of ZBS and Power schemes. Most teams are multiple. It comes down to talent. 

Archived