Small school prospects

CrazyJoeDavola

Hey I just wanted to start a discussion on some of the small school prospects coming to the NFL. Who are your favorite players from low profile FBS schools or FCS, D2, D3, etc. 

Every year there are a few small school kids who climb the boards so now is the time to hype “your guy”. 

I had a thread a bit back with my top small school guys. It's a really good class for small schoolers. There is actually a number of guys who will flirt with top 100 selections depending on how they do at the Senior Bowl and workouts. Here are guys going to the Senior Bowl that I think are strong contenders to land 4th round-or-better:

TE Dallas Goedert

OT Brandon Parker

OT Timon Parris

OT Desmond Harrison

OT/OG Alex Cappa

DT Nathan Shepherd

CB/S Siran Neal

CB/S Taron Johnson

CB D'Montre Wade

CB Michael Joseph

Also watch for Maea Teuhema, who declared early. Started on the O-Line at LSU before he and his brother (Sione Teuhema, a senior linebacker prospect) both transferred to Southeastern Louisiana. Maea is going to require vetting but he has legit talent.

The small-school QB class is subpar. Kyle Lauletta is solid but I'm not sure I sure him rising any higher than even the 4th round at-best. I'm a sucker for Bryan Schor, a winner at the FCS level who plays with a lot of moxie and has a knack for big plays. Devante Kincade is an interesting athlete at the position but he'll be a 24-year old rookie and Jeremiah Briscoe has a good arm but is a 25-year old rookie who, despite the arm, has shown a ton of flaws on tape. Only other FCS-or-lower guy I really deem worth talking about is Peter Pujals.

I also like Max Redfield a decent amount, a safety from Indiana (Pa.) who had a great season at the D2 level after transferring from Notre Dame. Another non-Senior Bowl guys that I'm curious to see if they get Combine invites for me are Elijah Campbell.

Just check out the East/West rosters and the Senior Bowl rosters and you will pretty well have a full list of the serious top small school prospects and the best ones will make it to the combine.

These guys have a huge opportunity to move up established NFL draft boards as do juniors declarees, the seniors are pretty well set on team's boards at this point, but this group is still fluent and can move way up or fall way back, based on their post season All Star games, pro days and the Combine.

Matthew Oplinger is a guy I've recently watched.  Potentially a really good ST guy, probably won't stay as an EDGE/OLB in the NFL, he looks like he could be pretty good if moved to off-ball LB. Probably an undrafted type, could stick if he shows well on ST.

23 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I had a thread a bit back with my top small school guys. It's a really good class for small schoolers. There is actually a number of guys who will flirt with top 100 selections depending on how they do at the Senior Bowl and workouts. Here are guys going to the Senior Bowl that I think are strong contenders to land 4th round-or-better:

TE Dallas Goedert

OT Brandon Parker

OT Timon Parris

OT Desmond Harrison

OT/OG Alex Cappa

DT Nathan Shepherd

CB/S Siran Neal

CB/S Taron Johnson

CB D'Montre Wade

CB Michael Joseph

Also watch for Maea Teuhema, who declared early. Started on the O-Line at LSU before he and his brother (Sione Teuhema, a senior linebacker prospect) both transferred to Southeastern Louisiana. Maea is going to require vetting but he has legit talent.

The small-school QB class is subpar. Kyle Lauletta is solid but I'm not sure I sure him rising any higher than even the 4th round at-best. I'm a sucker for Bryan Schor, a winner at the FCS level who plays with a lot of moxie and has a knack for big plays. Devante Kincade is an interesting athlete at the position but he'll be a 24-year old rookie and Jeremiah Briscoe has a good arm but is a 25-year old rookie who, despite the arm, has shown a ton of flaws on tape. Only other FCS-or-lower guy I really deem worth talking about is Peter Pujals.

I also like Max Redfield a decent amount, a safety from Indiana (Pa.) who had a great season at the D2 level after transferring from Notre Dame. Another non-Senior Bowl guys that I'm curious to see if they get Combine invites for me are Elijah Campbell.

I agree that this year’s QB class out of the FCS is less than impressive. I was higher on Schor prior to the season but he seems to continue with a gunslinger approach that will end up with a lot of turnovers at the next level. 

I didn’t know Redfield ended up at a D2 school in Louisiana. I had high hopes for him when he committed to Notre Dame. 

Another guy I think can be a round 5-7 guy is LB Nick Deluca out of NDSU. If it weren’t for some injury concerns I think he could go higher. 

15 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I agree that this year’s QB class out of the FCS is less than impressive. I was higher on Schor prior to the season but he seems to continue with a gunslinger approach that will end up with a lot of turnovers at the next level. 

I didn’t know Redfield ended up at a D2 school in Louisiana. I had high hopes for him when he committed to Notre Dame. 

Another guy I think can be a round 5-7 guy is LB Nick Deluca out of NDSU. If it weren’t for some injury concerns I think he could go higher. 

Redfield went to a D2 school in Pennsylvania (IUP - it's generally a very good D2 program and was this year).

DeLuca is a solid player as well. I'm not sure if he has starter potential but if he can show his merit on special teams, I think he could be a valuable back-up for a team. He's also going to the Senior Bowl.

32 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Redfield went to a D2 school in Pennsylvania (IUP - it's generally a very good D2 program and was this year).

DeLuca is a solid player as well. I'm not sure if he has starter potential but if he can show his merit on special teams, I think he could be a valuable back-up for a team. He's also going to the Senior Bowl.

Oops. Not sure where I got Louisiana from. Haha

29 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Larry Allen III OG Harvard

He left the school before the season and I haven't heard a word about the guy since. Allen is apparently expected to be back at the school next year but there hasn't been a peep about him since before the year.

1 minute ago, Da_Ducktator said:

He left the school before the season and I haven't heard a word about the guy since. Allen is apparently expected to be back at the school next year but there hasn't been a peep about him since before the year.

Thanks, I wonder if he graduated yet

Archived