CJ Mosley Trade Value

alfalcone

I'm generally of the opinion that the Ravens are in need of a radical rebuild.  Mosley is a free agent at the end of next year, and has received far and away the most accolades on the Ravens' defense, and will likely command a top-of-the-market salary as a free agent.  However, I don't think the Ravens can justify allocating the capital to Mosley that the free agency market will demand; he is neither great in pass coverage, nor can he rush the passer.  What sort of value can the Ravens get for Mosley this off season.  I'd think that an established WR or TE and a day 1 or 2 pick could justify pulling the trigger.

Hmmm....this is an interesting discussion. Trade value it's hard to say, because how often to teams trade young, talented ILB's? I'm trying to think, and for the life of me I cannot. Most young ILB's leave via Free Agency.

If anyone has any precedent for what Mosley would command on the FA market, or any precedent for trades, I'd love to hear it. I don't think the Ravens would trade Mosley though, unless a team was offering another young player who is established, which I don't think is going to happen. It would have to be a draft pick, and I don't think any team is going to give us a 1st or 2nd rounder for him.

This situation is why we need to draft an ILB as touched on by Ken McKusick in one of his podcasts. Mosley has too much leverage being the only player on the team capable of getting that green dot. His back ups are garbage and so is Peanut. He's overrated and the league is starting to catch on, even the dopes at Madden are. He put together a strong stat line and still sucks in the game. If you believe in PFF they rate him poorly as well.

Remember how lights out Ellerbe was playing for us in our run and then we couldn't pay him, Mosley is going to cost a lot more than that. He's a liability against the run, can't lock down on a tight end and is often hurt/injured even if he does play through them. Seems like a nice guy and I wish he was an elite player for us, but he isn't, no reason he should get payed like one in the name of blind denial. He isn't a strong leader of men but he is respected in the locker room which would make trading him awkward.  

I've thought about this a lot because of how much I don't like Mosley and wished we could swindle Nuk out of the Texans for Mosley and a couple picks or something. I don't think anything will come of it, I'm afraid we're stuck with him. 

I'm gonna say we're not not going to trade him simply because we don't have another ILB capable of running the defense. We could sign *insert vet here* but the ravens usually let their young guys figure it out, we'll end up signing Mosley to an overpriced extension and he'll immediately do something to make us regret it.

I feel like the issue is that we don’t have elite dline talent... Brandon Williams Micheal Pierce and Willie Henry are decent to good starters that are all only effective at the same position... Davis Kaufusi and Urban are all rotational guys that aren’t good at any one particular thing... We need a true playmaking 5 technique... that’s when our defense is at its best... We also need to stay healthy and to be honest idk how to correct injuries... but our secondary with young smith humphrey Carr hill and Canady all healthy will go a long way to fixing all our problems in pass defense... but good lucc with that actually happening... We got a lot of needs and nobody in the organization believes it has anything to do with coaching therefore we will continue to suck regardless 

19 minutes ago, EastsideEZ said:

I feel like the issue is that we don’t have elite dline talent... Brandon Williams Micheal Pierce and Willie Henry are decent to good starters that are all only effective at the same position... Davis Kaufusi and Urban are all rotational guys that aren’t good at any one particular thing... We need a true playmaking 5 technique... that’s when our defense is at its best... We also need to stay healthy and to be honest idk how to correct injuries... but our secondary with young smith humphrey Carr hill and Canady all healthy will go a long way to fixing all our problems in pass defense... but good lucc with that actually happening... We got a lot of needs and nobody in the organization believes it has anything to do with coaching therefore we will continue to suck regardless 

It's a shame we traded Timmy Jernigan for peanuts. He would've been that 5 technique with how he played this year for the eagles.

1 hour ago, OleXmad said:

It's a shame we traded Timmy Jernigan for peanuts. He would've been that 5 technique with how he played this year for the eagles.

Naw would be a fourth version of Williams pierce and henry... now if we had signed Campbell instead of Williams then We might have something 

24 minutes ago, EastsideEZ said:

Naw would be a fourth version of Williams pierce and henry... now if we had signed Campbell instead of Williams then We might have something 

We couldn't have signed Campbell, IIRC. Jernigan isn't a 4th version of Williams, Pierce, and Henry because 2 of those guys are run stuffers and the other is Willie Henry, who is not better than Jernigan in any facet of his game. We don't have a pass rushing DE and that's a problem because for years we did (Trevor Pryce, Haloti Ngata, Art Jones, Pernell McPhee, and Timmy Jernigan).

1 hour ago, EastsideEZ said:

Jernigan wasn't great but he was easily our best d-line pass rusher. Would love campbell but as Darth Pees pointed out, couldn't afford him. 

35 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

We couldn't have signed Campbell, IIRC. Jernigan isn't a 4th version of Williams, Pierce, and Henry because 2 of those guys are run stuffers and the other is Willie Henry, who is not better than Jernigan in any facet of his game. We don't have a pass rushing DE and that's a problem because for years we did (Trevor Pryce, Haloti Ngata, Art Jones, Pernell McPhee, and Timmy Jernigan).

That's definitely something we'll address in FA, or once again hope one of our young d-line steps up. 

13 minutes ago, EastsideEZ said:

Jernigan had 29 tackles 2.5 sacks 

Henry had 33 tackles 3.5 sacks... 

and jernigan had way more snaps on a more talented overall dline... Stats don’t tell if all but it’s hard for me to see a much better player under the circumstances...

Jernigan was week after week mentioned as such a disruptive force, that the rest of their dline did benefit from it. He got a better chance to flash his potential, and I think it was a good trade for all parties, but Henry might just be a better fit for what we want to do.

The whole point was to unload a player we wouldn't pay to see what we had in our lock jam on the D line. Turns out we have a player two years younger with more potential in Henry that we'll have on a rookie contract. 

Pierce and Williams are good players and run stuffers, but they don't disturb the pocket. Carl Davis is average and won't start next year. If we had good LBs we'd be getting better value out of Williams and Pierce who gobble up lineman. I can't imagine how bad our run defense would've been without them, only they and Suggs are sturdy against the run in this front 7.

32 minutes ago, Danand said:

Jernigan was week after week mentioned as such a disruptive force, that the rest of their dline did benefit from it. He got a better chance to flash his potential, and I think it was a good trade for all parties, but Henry might just be a better fit for what we want to do.

CoughIDontThinkWillieHenryIsGoodCough

5 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

The whole point was to unload a player we wouldn't pay to see what we had in our lock jam on the D line. Turns out we have a player two years younger with more potential in Henry that we'll have on a rookie contract. 

Pierce and Williams are good players and run stuffers, but they don't disturb the pocket. Carl Davis is average and won't start next year. If we had good LBs we'd be getting better value out of Williams and Pierce who gobble up lineman. I can't imagine how bad our run defense would've been without them, only they and Suggs are sturdy against the run in this front 7.

Two things: How does Henry have more potential than Jernigan?

Also, "If we had good LB's we'd be getting better value out of...", what does that mean? We have Suggs, Judon, Bowser, Smith, and Williams on the outside along with Mosley on the inside. It's hard to argue for a better group of LB's than that. You can definitely make the argument that if we got better production out of them that maybe it would be easier for them to gobble up people, but I don't know. One of my main criticisms of Pees this year in terms of LB usage was how often Judon dropped into coverage, despite being one of our better pass rushers. Furthermore, if we're going to play an OLB in coverage so often, why the hell wouldn't it be Correa so that we could then allow Judon to rush the passer?!

Archived