CJ Mosley Trade Value

alfalcone

33 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Our ILBs look AWFUL on that second run LMAO. That looks like me out there.

On the second play. The problem comes from a collection of Mosley and Williams. Without knowing the down and distance, I can’t say whether or not #48 is at fault as well.

On this play, Cincy is allowing Williams to get into the backfield. Their right guard sucks because he’s supposed to give a tap to Williams and then work his way to the next level. Simple zone down blocking scheme here.

Yet it doesn’t even matter because Williams runs into the backfield like a lumbering moron. Once he gets into the backfield, his job on the play was to get parallel with the line of scrimmage and Work his way down the line to the left, flowing with the action. Any slow down by the runner would be met with an immediate reckoning. Ngata was great at doing that.

The other problem was Mosley. Regardless of the responsibilities of everyone else, he was 1on1 with the running back there and his job was to attack the runner and make the play. I’m going to guess that this play was 2nd down, because he looks like he takes a read step there and that’s the hesitation you see on his part. But elite athleticism still would’ve allowed him to recover after his read. Either that or as opposed to taking a basic read step, he would’ve been better off taking his read steps while flowing to the action, thus if it were a pass he could’ve adjusted by just opening his hips and covering the few extra loss feet, but in the event that it was a run (like it was) he now has much less ground to cover to make the stop. He’s the biggest culprit on this play.

#48 should take some slight blame. Looks like he’s being asked to blitz outside, but a smart defender would’ve saw the run at the last second and as opposed to just flowing by the play, they would’ve given their blocker a bit of a bump to push them inside slightly, forcing the runner to have to adjust slightly and buy the rest of his defensive slightly more time to make a play. But his fault is minimal. #99 does a good job to stand up his man and squeeze him inside, a great run defender would be able to do that while also keeping outside contain and potentially make the play, but a las, he’s not a great run defender. But still executed better than most of the front 7 on that play.

7 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

@DreamKid I don't see Williams "blow up" the C on that play. Watch where the C goes the whole play. He never goes backwards. Williams destroys the C on the 2nd play, though, and it's hilarious because the guy ends up just standing around staring into space until Peanut runs into him.

He pushes him right into the ball carrier and he's only halfway committed because he's trying to read and make a play on Mixon. Watch the C's right foot get pushed backwards behind the line and it isn't until Williams sells out that he can then reestablish. Yea that second one is sad.

@diamondbull424 #48 is Onwuasor, an ILB. I don't know why we're asking him to lineup at OLB and rush the passer, but I can't exactly be mad at him for not having great awareness and knowing how to play the edge and turn back inside. There's absolutely no reason for him to be lined up there and asked to do that.

Watching that play, it's clear where CJ's gap is and he just has such slow reaction time and then by the time he gets there, it's way too late and his lack of athleticism then becomes apparent.

Just now, Darth Pees said:

@diamondbull424 #48 is Onwuasor, an ILB. I don't know why we're asking him to lineup at OLB and rush the passer, but I can't exactly be mad at him for not having great awareness and knowing how to play the edge and turn back inside. There's absolutely no reason for him to be lined up there and asked to do that.

I know it’s Patrick Onwuasor, but one his name is too long. And two, when I played football and we would watch tape, we would only ever say an opposing players name in a breakdown unless he was a star player. So it’s a habit. Peanut isn’t a Star, so he gets called by his number only.

Meh. He’s an inside linebacker, but him lining up there is a part of being a great defender. He’s a converted safety to inside linebacker. So he’s supposed to be more of a versatile rover type. Being able to play in multiple spots. It’s akin to standing an edge rusher up to confuse a defense. Without seeing the entire field, I can only guess, but it looks like we have in the game nickel personnel, but lined up in a 43 under. We’re probably doing this because the offense is fielding 3 wrs. I’m guessing it’s second down here and they’re giving a creative look. We’re assuming the run, but have the personnel to match up against the pass, just in case.

All this to say, I’m not outright blaming #48, but he does take some minor fault. A better player would’ve still recognized the situation.

10 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

You not a fan of B Will DB? lol.

@diamondbull424 @Darth Pees

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/1/3/16842392/weekly-lineman-final-flashes-from-new-names

Some other plays to check in that article.

? Haha, one would think so based off these last few posts as evidence. I’m just breaking down responsibilities on the play. I specialize in knowing front 7 responsibilities and analyzing running backs and offensive lineman. Not so much with the other positions (even though I’ve gotten better since joining this site).

All that to say, I’m just being impartial. Williams should’ve easily noticed something was wrong when he got into the backfield so easily, yet that never clicks for him. He just rushed in like he was ready to eat. Perhaps he needs to do some royal farms commercials and calm himself down? That play looked like Cincy was expecting him to overpursue inside and thus they took advantage of his lack of field awareness. If that right guard was better, he easily gets to the second level and they could be talking about an even bigger gain.

26 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I specialize in knowing front 7 responsibilities and analyzing running backs and offensive lineman. Not so much with the other positions (even though I’ve gotten better since joining this site).

As we get deeper into the draft I'll look forward to your off ball LB analysis, it's an obvious need for us and it's a weird class.

54 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

The other problem was Mosley. Regardless of the responsibilities of everyone else, he was 1on1 with the running back there and his job was to attack the runner and make the play. I’m going to guess that this play was 2nd down, because he looks like he takes a read step there and that’s the hesitation you see on his part. But elite athleticism still would’ve allowed him to recover after his read. Either that or as opposed to taking a basic read step, he would’ve been better off taking his read steps while flowing to the action, thus if it were a pass he could’ve adjusted by just opening his hips and covering the few extra loss feet, but in the event that it was a run (like it was) he now has much less ground to cover to make the stop. He’s the biggest culprit on this play.

Totally agree it really was a play he needed to make, and some insight into the title of the thread.

I think we should try bowser at inside backer he seems to be the most athletic of everyone we have and to be honest unless we let Suggs go there is no reason for him and Judon to not get the majority of the reps... it’s clear Correa succs in our scheme and since we have decided to basically not change anything he needs to go... I say try Judon bowser Mosley and Suggs as the four starting backers and draft a Real 5 technique in the first 2 rounds... 

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

As we get deeper into the draft I'll look forward to your off ball LB analysis, it's an obvious need for us and it's a weird class.

Totally agree it really was a play he needed to make, and some insight into the title of the thread.

I’m sorry I just feel like we’re nitpicking at Mosley here... of all the people on our defense last year I was pleased with probably five or six guys... and Mosley is definitely one of those guys... him and Justin tucker are our only two players consistently performing at or near the top of their position... I don’t have a problem with Mosley in the grand scheme of things. We have so many areas worse off than what he displays 

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I will say, you can really see from that play that his extra bulk (as well as injuries I’m sure) has slowed him down. A younger Mosley easily recovers to make that play.

Part of the problem, if those plays are the trend however, is that for how dominant physically Williams is, he needs to have to play more disciplined. Ngata could’ve made more splash plays and Suggs through his career might have been able to make more splash plays as well, if they freestyled more. But what made our defense consistently good/great was that guys played their role and trusted the guy next to him to make the play.

Williams physical impact on the game can’t be overstated, which is why our defense does better with him there, however perhaps if he was more consistent with his responsibilities, the defense would perform even better. Perhaps he feels he needs to do more because he can’t trust his teammates? Which if that’s the case we’ve invested enough talent into our defense that if he believes players are lacking he has to take more of a leadership role and help guide player improvement or guide the coaching staff at least vs taking it upon himself to freestyle.

1 hour ago, EastsideEZ said:

I think we should try bowser at inside backer he seems to be the most athletic of everyone we have and to be honest unless we let Suggs go there is no reason for him and Judon to not get the majority of the reps... it’s clear Correa succs in our scheme and since we have decided to basically not change anything he needs to go... I say try Judon bowser Mosley and Suggs as the four starting backers and draft a Real 5 technique in the first 2 rounds... 

RE: Bowser to ILB...nonononononono please god no. Stop doing this. Stop taking athletic pass rushers and moving them inside. Suggs, at his age, should be rotating with people so that he's fresh to either be a run stuffer or pass rusher. There is ZERO reason why Bowser and Williams can't fit into the rotation of Suggs/Judon. Za'Darius Smith, if anyone, needs to be phased out.

If you want to even make the case, move Correa back outside and give him a chance to actually flourish in his natural position. At this point though, we have a log jam at OLB and I hope Martindale has a plan for how to utilize all that talent.

Yeah I don’t want Bowser inside, he’s plenty capable enough to compete with Judon for the starting role next season. What’s more, ILB athleticism is a little different. I’d rather get someone that’s a better coverage option playing there.

On another note, CJ Mosley was just voted 2nd team All Pro. So he’s definitely valued through the league. I definitely think if he cuts weight and stay healthy, he’s almost everything you can want out of a linebacker not named Ray Lewis.

Archived