Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

Via @TransientTexan

Regarding pettines last 3 years (his 'worst') as a DC in NY and BUF.

Yea I figured you were looking at a different metric. Pure point totals are also deceiving because some defenses have to defend against significantly more offensive drives. From 2011-2013, the most fortunate defenses (least drives faced) defended against around 162 drives (~10 per game). The least fortunate had to defend against ~205 drives. That's like having to play 4 extra games in 1 season, making it much more difficult to compete in total-points ranks. Pettine's defenses were among the least fortunate, having to defend against 201 (tied-#1), 187 (t-#7), and 209 (#1) drives

On a points-per-drive basis, his defenses actually ranked #6, #8, and #11 in those years.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef2011

DSR ranking was #2, #7, & #4.

(DSR=represents Drive Success Rate, measures the percentage of down series that result in a first down or touchdown. Take-a-knee drives at the end of a half are discarded.)

Their Sc% was #8, #9, and #13.

(Sc%= Percentage of drives ending in an offensive score)  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/opp.htm

3 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

so with Philbin and Pettine, they've got 2 former HC's as coordinators. i like that

While true, both failed pretty miserably as HC’s, especially Philbin. That said, I really like both hires. Our big three hires this off season (Gute, Pettine and Philbin) bring a lot of new hope to GB of change and progression. 

On 1/11/2018 at 6:15 PM, pf9 said:

Surely I thought Pet-peeve would have been blacklisted in the NFL coaching ranks after his quick exit from Cleveland. I'm not a fan of him, given how he treated Johnny Football.

How exactly did he mistreat Manziel?  I'm legitimately curious.

On 1/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, pf9 said:

Surely I thought Pet-peeve would have been blacklisted in the NFL coaching ranks after his quick exit from Cleveland. I'm not a fan of him, given how he treated Johnny Football.

Did Pettine not give Manziel something Manziel wanted?  Did he make Manziel suffer consequences for things that Manziel did?  Pettine should be fired from everything forever then.  Manziel has always got whatever he wanted and has never had to face consequences, so for Pettine to do that is basically the same thing as throwing a dog from an airplane. 

He gets grief, but Pettine as HC was nt that terrible. Browns are beyond a dumpster fire, so making them even resemble an nfl team is a herculean effort. 

I didn't mind pettine as Browns HC and thought it was ridiculous they fired him. Doesn't mean I think he us amazing coach, but he is a professional coach at least.

Does GB have CB n S thst stand out?  Pettines system usually needs DBs that can go actually play

On 1/10/2018 at 1:26 PM, Ketchup said:

While true, both failed pretty miserably as HC’s, especially Philbin. That said, I really like both hires. Our big three hires this off season (Gute, Pettine and Philbin) bring a lot of new hope to GB of change and progression. 

Yes, a lot of coaches fail as HCs but thrive as coordinators:  Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, Ken Whisenhunt, Todd Haley, Gus Bradley and Mike Smith to name a few.

Just now, Pugger said:

Yes, a lot of coaches fail as HCs but thrive as coordinators:  Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, Ken Whisenhunt, Todd Haley, Gus Bradley and Mike Smith to name a few.

Come on Pugger.........you gotta come up with more than that to prove your point  :)

On 1/9/2018 at 9:51 PM, Xenos said:

It's a good hire. I wanted him last year for the Chargers, but I'm happy with Bradley now :)

Also funny that Pettine did more with Buffalo's defense than Rex ever did.

Jim Schwartz blew both of their defenses out of the water.

21 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Jim Schwartz blew both of their defenses out of the water.

Schwartz should and will get another shot as a head coach. I would have loved for him to be in Green Bay for a couple years until that maybe happened, but oh well

Archived